Tune Tuesday: August 21, 1993

UB40 BBC Image
Photo Credit: bbc.co.uk

It’s Tune Tuesday! Twenty-five years ago, today, the number one song was I Can’t Help Falling In Love, a Reggae version of Elvis’ hit from the 1961 soundtrack and movie of the same name, Blue Hawaii. Both of these versions topped the U.S. & U.K. charts.

I am also posting the clip from the movie. Elvis’ original didn’t make it to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 (which is usually where I get my number one songs from) in the U.S., getting stuck at number two behind Peppermint Twist but, it did make it to number one in the U.K. & Australia in early 1962. It was a number one hit on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart in January 1962:

Plus, I have to confess that, while I like Reggae, I am an Elvis fan and I prefer the original (no offense, guys!).

~Victoria

7 thoughts on “Tune Tuesday: August 21, 1993

David Redpath said:
    August 21, 2018 at 6:54 PM

Agreed.
    ‘UB 40’ was the form number used
    when applying for unemployment
    payments in the U.K. 25 years ago.
    So one could afford some red, red, wine.

Liked by 2 people

JT Twissel said:
    August 22, 2018 at 4:08 PM

I liked Elvis’ voice but his onstage presence didn’t thrill me. Beautiful song no matter how it’s done, I think.

Lady Emily Rose said:
    August 25, 2018 at 8:14 PM

I’ve heard a few versions of this song. Elvis still does it best, but so far I’ve not heard a bad one.

August 25, 2018 at 10:55 PM

I agree. Every time I hear it, regardless of performer, I always float back to Blue Hawaii. And, Angela Lansbury saying “Chadwick!” LOL!

kristianw84 said: