Michael Jackson: August 29, 1958

Michael Jackson Art Image
Photo Credit: pinterest.com

Michael Joseph Jackson was born in Gary, Indiana, the seventh of nine children, to Joseph Walter “Joe” and Katherine Ester (née’ Scruse). [Note: In birth order, he was eighth of ten children as his older brother Marlon’s twin, Brandon, died at birth.]

He was a member of The Jackson Five and began a solo career in 1971. Until just recently, his album Thriller was the best-selling of all time.

Nearly a decade has passed since his death. He was an incredible performer and had a stunning voice. He was a humanitarian and was recognized for his work with an award from President Ronald Reagan on May 14, 1984. He co-wrote We Are The World with Lionel Richie that won grammys in 1985 for Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.

He had a hard time as a child and it affected his adult life. He was plagued with scandal after scandal, his marriages were short and his last few years were tangled with financial troubles. On June 25, 2009, Michael passed away at the age of 50 from a drug overdose. The whole world mourned his loss. He would have been 60, today.

I was 16 when Thriller came out. I was 12 when Off The Wall came out. His music is a large part of the tapestry of my younger years. He definitely was the King of Pop. Happy Birthday, Michael. ~Victoria

Young Michael Image
Photo Credit: media.tumblr.com

6 thoughts on “Michael Jackson: August 29, 1958

Andrea said:
    August 29, 2018 at 3:10 pm

I cannot tell you how scared I was to click the link and see who did better than MJ. I was scared it would 1Direction or so 😅 luckily it are the Eagels

August 29, 2018 at 3:34 pm

Yeah. That Eagles’ first Greatest Hits album just made ‘best selling’ a little over a week ago. I suspect it had something to do with the recent Eagles touring, even if it’s not really the ‘true’ Eagles. Maybe Michael’s 60th birthday will bring on more Thriller buyers.

floatinggold said:
    August 31, 2018 at 2:18 pm

Definitely a legend. So many talented people leave too early. It makes me wonder what is so special about the rest of us. I’m grateful…

August 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm

We all have our own paths and things to experience. Talent is relative & subject. I see all of us a talented. 😎

floatinggold said:
        September 1, 2018 at 9:40 am

A great way to look at things.

Mani said:
    September 16, 2018 at 8:27 am

I was 15 when he died. I thought that he would live in my era too. We all miss him.