Movie Monday: October 15, 1973

Streisand & Redford Image
Photo Credit: nydailynews.com

Ok, folks. I am shifting things a bit. What used to be Flick Friday is now Movie Monday! *applause*applause* All blogs change and evolve…and, we’re off…

Forty-five years ago, today, the #1 movie at the box office was The Way We Were, a film described as a romantic drama. It’s drama alright. Directed by Sydney Pollack, it is a period piece based upon a novel by Arthur Laurents. He wrote about his college days at Cornell University and his experience with HCUA, which ultimately led to Hollywood Blacklisting. I’m not going to comment any further on the details as it is a little too close to the political nonsense of today.

That being said, Marvin Hamlisch won two Oscars for Best Original Score and Best Original Song.

13 thoughts on “Movie Monday: October 15, 1973

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    October 16, 2018 at 7:41 am

Awesome movie

October 16, 2018 at 11:46 am

I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ve tried, maybe, three times over 30 years to watch it but, I can’t get thru it. I just want to punch Streisand in the face. She is just off the charts annoying.

She does have a beautiful voice. I will give her that. But, just because she has been elevated to god-like status in the Hellyweird echo chamber does not negate the fact that, basically, she is nothing more than a mouthy, obnoxious broad.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
        October 16, 2018 at 12:04 pm

I totally agree, I just think she was a knock out when she was younger!

October 16, 2018 at 2:46 pm

I will agree with you on that point. She was pretty. But, just like the character of Hubbell, and from your own remarks (paraphrasing)…”I don’t care how good she looks. There is a guy, somewhere, who is tired of her s***.”

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
            October 16, 2018 at 2:49 pm

Hahahahaha, oh man. You got it right. To be clear, movies like “The Way We Were” and “An Officer and A Gentleman” remind me of my wife and I when we first started dating. I guess my attraction to those movies is nostalgia on my part. They might be horrible movies, but I love them since they bring back such fond youthful memories.

October 16, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Yeah. I get the nostalgia hook. Movies, music pieces…BAM…right back to that moment in time.

I had an easier time watching “An Officer & A Gentleman” but, I’m not really a Richard Gere fan. He is a stiff actor…very little range…emotionless. David Keith was far better in that movie and, of course, Gossett, Jr.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
                October 16, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Hahahahaha, man, you must be one hell of a woman to get in a conversation with. Cheers Victoria, your banter and insight is endless!

PlantsandBeyond said:
    October 16, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Oh, how interesting. Would love to see it and thank you for your recommendations

JT Twissel said:
    October 16, 2018 at 2:16 pm

I also had a hard time sitting through that movie. I just didn’t think there was any chemistry between the two.

October 16, 2018 at 3:07 pm

That is a good point. And, the author, Arthur Laurents, wrote the screenplay with Ryan O’Neal in mind. Barbra had far better on-screen chemistry with him but, she actually had off-screen affairs with both men…at least, that’s what Laurents claimed (regarding O’Neal) when Pollack wanted Redford…and Jon Peters claimed (regarding Redford) when he wrote a “tell-all” (Streisand’s ex). Peters also claimed she had an affair with Kris Kristofferson during “A Star Is Born”.

floatinggold said:
    October 16, 2018 at 9:55 pm

*applauds on Friday to Monday post change* It made me chuckle.
    I don’t think I’ve seen that movie.
    Are you aware of errors on your page? (I think I saw this on a couple of other posts, too.) “500 Internal Server Error” …. Aaaaah, I just realized – those are probably clips embeded from Youtube, which is currently down.

October 16, 2018 at 11:33 pm

You aren’t missing much.

I didn’t know Youtube was down. I guess it is back up, now, as the videos are visible.