Buy Nothing Day

Buy Nothing Day National Day Calendar Image

November 23 is a busy, busy day of 10 celebrations. I will highlight Buy Nothing Day as our consumerism is out of control.

This observance always falls on the day after Thanksgiving, coinciding with Black Friday. Some of the ways to observe are pretty funny:
♦ Cut up your credit cards.
♦ Do the whirl-mart…the act of pushing your empty cart around, disrupting other shoppers and buying absolutely nothing.
♦ Do a Christmas Zombie Walk…become the expression of obsessed Black Friday shoppers.

It appears the Canadians have the distinction of starting the movement as a protest in 1992. Vancouver artist Ted Dave founded and organized it in September. It was moved to the Friday after Thanksgiving in 1997.

Just stay home. Do you really need to spend that money and deal with all the frenzy? Just so you know, this Black Friday is on a full moon. Watch out.

Buy Nothing Day Santa Claus Image
Photo Credit: abillionpeople.org & Adbusters

Also celebrated:
National Cashew Day (Yum!)
National Eat A Cranberry Day (More yum!)
National Espresso Day
National Day of Listening (Day after Thanksgiving)
National Native American Heritage Day (Day after Thanksgiving/Yeah!)
Black Friday (Boo!)
National Flossing Day (Day after Thanksgiving)
Maize Day (Day after Thanksgiving)
Your Welcomegiving Day (Day after Thanksgiving)

15 thoughts on “Buy Nothing Day

November 23, 2018 at 3:29 am

Go and buy some Captain Scarlet DVDs……….

November 23, 2018 at 11:22 am

Um…why? And, who is Captain Scarlet? You are defeating the ‘buy nothing day’ premise. 🤔😊

jmshistorycorner said:
        November 27, 2018 at 8:41 am

Captain Scarlet is a British science fiction TV series (well, two – one filmed in Supermarionation [puppets], the other a remake in CGI). It’s about a Martian AI war on Earth.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    November 23, 2018 at 7:14 am

I am working today. On my way to work early this morning I couldn’t believe how packed the stores were during my drive. pathetic. In any regard, at least they are feeding Chinese people today with their flamboyant spending!!!

November 23, 2018 at 11:34 am

Geezus. People are nuts. And, everything they purchase is cheaply made & will fall apart, quickly. SMDH.

I still have a pair of Chuck Taylor hi-tops I bought in 1982…when they were still made in the US. I still wear them. Most pairs of shoes don’t last 36+ years…these days.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
        November 23, 2018 at 12:00 pm

That’s a damn good point Victoria

November 23, 2018 at 12:31 pm

What? That people are nuts? Yeah. All day, everyday, 24/7… 🤪🤯

November 23, 2018 at 11:36 am

Wow…I used the word ‘still’ a lot. 🙄😳😖

JT Twissel said:
    November 23, 2018 at 1:26 pm

I always think of Nov 23 as the day JFK was assassinated. No shopping for me today.

November 23, 2018 at 1:32 pm

He was killed on the 22nd. Does that alter shopping plans? 😊😎

jmshistorycorner said:
    November 27, 2018 at 8:48 am

Pointless, in my opinion.

November 27, 2018 at 11:29 am

I agree. All I can do is shake my head. Brawling for a TV or a toy is just utter madness.