Shutterbug Saturday: 2018 Christmas Local Part II

Christmas 2018 Image One
Personal Collection 12-24-2018
Beautiful home a block away.

Part II of 2018 Christmas reflections.

Christmas 2018 Image Two
Cute house across the street.
Christmas 2018 Image Three
First Baptist Church around the corner. Est. 1853
Christmas 2018 Image Four
First Baptist Church side entrance.
Christmas 2018 Image Five
Nash-Hooper House
Registered National Historic Landmark
Built in 1772 by Francis Nash
Was home to William Hooper 1782-90
Christmas 2018 Image Six
Lovely home three blocks away.
Christmas 2018 Image Seven
Recently restored 1920s home.
Christmas 2018 Image Eight
Gorgeous bungalow across the street from the First Baptist Church.
Christmas 2018 Image Nine
Christmas in a small town.
Christmas 2018 Image Ten
Merry Christmas!

24 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: 2018 Christmas Local Part II

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    January 5, 2019 at 11:04 pm

Merry Christmas Victoria. Such a beautiful place.

January 6, 2019 at 1:56 am

It’s a neat town. Too bad it resides in the highest taxed county in the entire state of NC. And, I’m not kidding.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
        January 6, 2019 at 10:35 am

Taxes on the other hand…I’m not a fan

January 6, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Neither are most of the residents. This end of the county is run by Chapel Hill, which might as well be San Francisco, politically, even tho we are the county seat. Even Charlotte doesn’t have taxes this high. The second highest in the state is the county beside of us, east. Durham…same smell as CH or SanFran.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
            January 6, 2019 at 2:41 pm

That sucks. NC is such a wonderful place, but from what I can tell has begun to act quite strange.
            My wife and I considered moving there a few years ago. But we changed our mind once we found out about the firearms policy and the paperwork and registrations required for firearms there.
            NC, from what I can tell legally is ruled by a district court that also rules Maryland, NJ, and Virginia.

January 6, 2019 at 3:02 pm

I didn’t know about the district court.

I got a Cimarron .45 about five, six years ago. I filled out the required fed-form but, that was it. Ken works for a local Game & Fish biz, routinely talking to the ATF & FBI on sold weapons & inventory plus, forwarding FFLs to dealers & manufacturers. I’ve never heard him talk about anything other than the fed-form. What other registrations are there? You are registered for CCP with the Sheriff. Texas is the same for that.

I know that folks that work at RDU International freak when you mention traveling with checked weapons whereas Houston International gleefully assists you with checking in & safety.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
                January 6, 2019 at 3:08 pm

I thought you guys had to get some form from the sheriff before you can buy?

January 6, 2019 at 6:31 pm

Oh, a pistol permit? Yeah, but, only if you don’t have a CCP, already. That is state-wide, sure. When I got my Cimarron, I filled out the fed-form and produced my CCP. That was it. The CCP makes the background check unnecessary and waives a Sheriff-issued permit. Rifles & shotguns require no permit, no background with a CCP and there is no waiting period in NC for any firearm…unless you happen to be a ‘John Smith’ and they have to find you in a sea of ‘John Smiths’. THAT might delay things a bit if you don’t have a current CCP that would negate that.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
                    January 6, 2019 at 6:41 pm

Yeah, it’s not like that where I am. We have no sheriff issued permits for purchasing. CCW waives the background check, but if you don’t have a CCW it’s just a regular NICS background check. No waiting period either.

The Sheriff issues the CCW permit and it is a shall issue state.

It might seem petty to some. But I’m trying to keep as many rights as possible.

I know it’s not as bad as I make it out to be.

January 6, 2019 at 8:18 pm

Well, in the case of our permits, you are not, actually, buying a permit, per se. You are paying for the thorough background check that the Sheriff does. The permit just reflects that the check was done, much like a receipt.

So, when you go to a firearms dealer, if you want a pistol and you don’t have a CCP (what does your ‘W’ stand for?), is your NICS check free? I know that insta-check for long rifles & shotguns is free.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
                      January 6, 2019 at 8:55 pm

I never knew that I had to pay the government to mess with me!

January 6, 2019 at 9:28 pm

So, is your NICS check for a pistol free? Do the firearms dealers cover the cost and roll it into the cost of the weapon?

What does CCW stand for? Concealed Carry Weapon?

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
                      January 6, 2019 at 9:37 pm

Yes, I thought the W question was rhetorical. Honestly, this is the first time I’m hearing that the NICS background check actually costs money, I mean from us.

So, if you fail the background check, do you get a refund for the cost you had to pay?

January 6, 2019 at 9:55 pm

Well, I was asking you if your state does a free NICS background. For all I know, your laws are different and y’all’s may be free. I don’t know. If the feds require payment from all the states, then, yeah. You pay…at some point.

THAT is a very good question. And, I don’t know the answer. I do know that, if you buy a weapon from, say, Cheaper Than Dirt and tell them to forward it to whomever you wish that has an FFL, if you fail the background, the dealer can’t release it. And, good luck getting a refund from Cheaper Than Dirt. Their attitude is, you should have checked on your status before hand. Plus, if the dealer keeps the weapon past 30 days, they own it.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
                      January 6, 2019 at 10:02 pm

How does a person know if they will or will not pass a background check? Like the no fly list, there have been plenty of instances that a person fails the background check due to error in NICS.

From what I’ve been told, it takes a ton of work to get your name cleared. Which is total bullshit and another instance of the government not giving us the benefit of doubt.

January 6, 2019 at 11:22 pm

Well…that’s probably why NC decided to let the Sheriff’s handle it…LE to LE but, I am just guessing. Who would handle it in your state? I would think that you could go to the source of the check and ask.

Your record can be expunged to a degree with a good attorney. Some things don’t matter anymore. NC lets convicted felons vote.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
                      January 7, 2019 at 5:01 am

I saw that. I wonder why they won’t allow them their 2A rights back.
                      I think the vote is a step in the right direction

January 7, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Difference in state & federal law, maybe? I think the feds say felons can’t have weapons.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
                      January 7, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Feds also say felons can’t vote especially in national elections. I could be wrong, but I think it’s across the board. Whether in presidential or state and federal representation.

January 7, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Well, then, if that is the case, NC is in violation & apparently, no one is doing anything.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
                      January 7, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Funny how they pick and choose the laws they will enforce as time goes on.

Illegals are committing felonies by stealing identities or using false documents, yet mayors and governors go out of their way to protect them.

January 7, 2019 at 1:57 pm

Yep. All by design…

January 6, 2019 at 12:05 am

That tree is stunning with Santa sitting in front of it.

January 6, 2019 at 1:57 am

It was pretty cool. I was surprised at how clear it came out. A lot of my night shots, the camera blurs the lights.