Tune Tuesday: February 12, 1954

Eddie Fisher Image One
Image Credit: 7digital.com

Sixty-five years ago, today, the #1 song on Billboard (pre-hot 100 era) was Oh! My Pa-Pa (O Mein Papa) performed by Eddie Fisher. A lamentation, sung by a young woman grieving the loss of her clown-father, the song was written by Swiss composer Paul Burkhard in 1939 for the musical Der schwarze Hecht (The Black Pike). Reproduced and re-issued in 1950 as Das Feuerwerk (The Firework), the musical was made into a German film, Fireworks, in 1954 starring Lilli Palmer.

Translated, and adapted, into English by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons, Fisher and Hugo Winterhalter’s orchestra recorded the song in December 1953 at Webster Hall in New York City.

Eddie Fisher Image Two
Image Credit: 45cat.com

Trumpeter Eddie Calvert had a #1 with an instrumental version of the song in the UK at the very same time Fisher’s version was the #1 in the US.

On March 8, 1967, television audiences were treated to a version of the song by Jim Nabors, in character as Gomer Pyle, in the Season 3 episode (#85) “Sing a Song of Papa”. On October 24, 1991, Krusty the Clown sang the song as O mein Papa on The Simpsons in the Season 3 episode Like Father, Like Clown, a twist on the young woman’s sorrow over her father.

This song has been covered by many other artists, including The Everly Brothers, Connie Francis, Ray Anthony (last surviving member of the Glenn Miller Orchestra), The Bobbettes, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Björk (as “Pabbi minn”).

15 thoughts on “Tune Tuesday: February 12, 1954

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    February 12, 2019 at 10:04 pm

What a wonderful song. No way today a song of that topic would be mainstream, sad.

February 13, 2019 at 12:19 am

The two I have heard before…the Simpsons and Jim Neighbors…I probably should be ashamed of that. Neighbors had a great voice.

February 13, 2019 at 1:21 am

You are two ahead of me, then.

I learn all kinds of neat stuff researching. ❤

February 13, 2019 at 9:12 am

Love the Simpsons and I do remember that one. I watched Gomer when I was a kid and I watched a few a year or so ago… Some of them were funny.
        I’ve learned a lot about the songs I’ve researched that I thought I knew.

February 13, 2019 at 3:45 pm

Sounds like we both have a love of learning. And, that very trait also made us good troubleshooters.

February 13, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Yes it does… I want to know the most trivial things at times…but I can’t help it…its our nature.
            Speaking of troubleshooting… we had computers reboot today through the company with a blue screen….was it a virus? Nope…AVG who protects us from viruses…received a bad update that caused it all on those computers.
            I love when problems are solved. I had to jump in today and help…it felt good to do hands on work again.

February 13, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Love the blue screen of death. Kind of spiritual…🤓

AVG, huh? Surprised a company is using that. Symantec is a pain in the ass, too. I used Avast for years until it got bloated. Now, I use Webroot. It just got purchased by Carbonite, so…I don’t what to think of that.

I miss being a geek for hire. Technology has passed me by. ☹

February 13, 2019 at 6:40 pm

Avast and Avg are same now…it’s avg-avast… i
                We also have carbon black for more advanced findings. It was fun though getting in the game again.

February 13, 2019 at 7:30 pm

Damn. Are you serious? 🙄

I miss it.

JT Twissel said:
    February 13, 2019 at 2:39 pm

This song is a little too schmaltzy for me. Jim Nabors did have an incredible voice though.

February 13, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Never heard of this chap before. It’s a great song. Unfortunately probably know the Simpsons one, word for word.

February 13, 2019 at 6:21 pm

Never heard of Eddie Fisher, huh? Here is some background…he was one of Elizabeth Taylor’s hubbies, before she got to Burton.

His first wife was Debbie Reynolds & that marriage fell apart when he got tangled up with Liz.

His first born daughter is the original Princess Leia.

His second wife was Connie Stevens & second daughter is Joely Fisher.

February 15, 2019 at 10:18 am

Just call me the information station. 😁