Tune Tuesday: February 26, 1964

The Beatles Image One
Photo Credit: moptoptours.com

Fifty-five years ago, today, the #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 chart was I Want to Hold Your Hand. Written by Paul McCartney and John Lennon, it was recorded October 17, 1963, at EMI Studios in London.

From The Beatles Dot Com:

[…] it was the first Beatles record to be made using four-track equipment. It was also the group’s first American number one, entering the Billboard Hot 100 chart on 18 January 1964 at number forty-five and starting the British Invasion of the American music industry.

The Beatles Image Two
Photo Credit: beatlephotoblog.com

From The Beatles Bible:

“A telegram came through to Brian from Capitol Records of America. He came running in to the room saying, ‘Hey, look. You are number one in America!’ I Want To Hold Your Hand had gone to number one. Well, I can’t describe our response. We all tried to climb onto Big Mal’s back to go round the hotel suite: ‘Wey-hey!’ And that was it, we didn’t come down for a week.”

~Paul McCartney

“It was such a buzz to find that it had gone to number one. We went out to dinner that evening with Brian and George Martin. George took us to a place which was a vault, with huge barrels of wine around. It was a restaurant and its theme was… well, the bread rolls were shaped like penises, the soup was served out of chamber pots and the chocolate ice cream was like a big turd. And, the waiter came ’round and tied garters on all the girls’ legs. I’ve seen some pictures of us. There is a photograph around of Brian with the pot on his head. It was a great feeling because we were booked to go to America directly after the Paris trip, so it was handy to have a number one. We’d already been hired by Ed Sullivan so, if it had been a number two or number ten we’d have gone anyway but, it was nice to have a number one. We did have three records out in America before this one. The others were on two different labels. It was only after all the publicity and the Beatlemania in Europe that Capitol Records decided, ‘Oh, we will have them.’ They put out I Want To Hold Your Hand as our first single but, in fact, it was our fourth.

~George Harrison

The Beatles Image Three
Image/Photo Credit: beatles.ncf.ca (Ottawa Beatles Site)
Los Angeles Times Article 02-10-1964 (left)
Ed Sullivan Show Shots 02-09-1964 (right)

From the Ottawa Journal:

Will We All Become Beatle Nuts?
Here’s What the Reviewers Say…

“Anyone who is not a teenage girl obviously is unqualified to comment on the sight of The Beatles in action. Heaven knows we’ve heard them enough. It has been impossible to get a radio weather bulletin or time signal without running into “I Want To Hold Your Hand.” And now, having seen the four performers on Ed Sullivan’s show Sunday night, Beatlemania is even more of a mystery to an elderly viewer.”

~Cynthia Lowry (Associated Press)

“It is now clear why President de Gaulle has been giving England such a hard time about the Common Market. He undoubtedly saw The Beatles and decided nothing doing. As you certainly know, America saw the four-member rock’n’roll British group live on television last night. Pandemonium reigned. Vive La France.”

~Rick DuBrow (United Press International)

“”You can tell right away its The Beatles and not anyone else,” is the opinion of a 15-year-old specialist on the topic who saw them on the Ed Sullivan show. The age of 15 (or 16, or 14 or 13) is essential in Beatle experts. And, so, taking the above axiom as gospel, an attempt was made to find out just what is musically unique about the English group that is now visiting our shores.”

~Theodore Strongin (The New York Times)

“It seems The Beatles came, sang and conquered…all that is but, the TV reviewers. Most of the time, these reviewers have real troubles finding something to write about. Ask them… When Elvis Presley first appeared on the popular musical scene and made his TV début, did they praise him? No. In fact, most beat singers who come under the TV reviewer’s eagle eye rarely receive a word of praise. It seems obvious the reviewers came to bury the teenage favorites and not to praise them. Again, the teenage taste has been mocked. As long as this superior feeling is put across, the younger generation will continue to make their idols…and won’t give a darn who likes them.”

~Sandy Gardiner (Ottawa Journal)

Though this song didn’t win any awards, The Beatles did receive The Best New Artist award at the 7th Annual Grammy Awards.

Lyrics:
Oh yeah, I’ll tell you something,
I think you’ll understand,
Then I’ll say that something,
I wanna hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand.
Oh please say to me
You’ll let me be your man,
And please say to me,
You’ll let me hold your hand,
Now let me hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand.
And when I touch you
I feel happy inside,
It’s such a feeling
That my love I can’t hide,
I can’t hide, I can’t hide.
Yeah, you got that something,
I think you’ll understand,
When I feel that something,
I wanna hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand.
And when I touch you
I feel happy inside,
It’s such a feeling
That my love I can’t hide,
I can’t hide, I can’t hide.
Yeah, you got that something,
I think you’ll understand,
When I feel that something,
I wanna hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand.

30 thoughts on “Tune Tuesday: February 26, 1964

February 26, 2019 at 11:13 PM

I would have loved to see this happen and then been in a Nehru Jacket in 1967 to hear Sgt Pepper for the first time…or tie-dyed

February 27, 2019 at 12:18 AM

I’m not a big Beatles fan…I think I have expressed that before…🙄 But, I prefer their early stuff.

When their hair grew out & they started singing about Walruses, they lost me.

February 27, 2019 at 12:20 AM

Walruses and Lucy’s in the Sky… I like all of course…the middle part is probably my favorite. I was shocked when I saw the post. I thought you were going to talk about them having the top 5 in the Billboard at once.

February 27, 2019 at 2:23 PM

I like Lucy in the Sky…Elton’s version. 😉😊

Why shocked? I showcase a #1 song on Tuesdays, going backwards every five years. Next Tuesday will be 1969, unless something else comes up.

February 27, 2019 at 3:06 PM

Oh because you featured the Beatles… It just surprised me…
            Elton…sure you do lol… No it’s a good version but I heard the original first. Just like Pinball Wizard by Elton…I still like The Who’s better…because I heard it first probably…but he did a good job on that one also.

February 27, 2019 at 11:42 PM

Their song was #1. I like music. I like history. I don’t have to like a song or a movie or a tidbit of history to post about it. I had another blogger ask me “Why do you post about a movie you’ve never seen?” I responded to her “I post about events. You post reviews.”

Hee-hee…I prefer Elton’s version of Pinball Wizard, too, tho, I AM a ‘WHO’ fan (THE & DOCTOR!)

February 27, 2019 at 11:50 PM

You are like a reporter… I usually have to know or like it I admit. I wish I could write like that. It would open up more for me. Sometimes I search for hours for songs.
                I like both Whos also. Doctor Who is the reason I started to blog…Not a positive reason.

February 28, 2019 at 1:51 AM

Heh. “Just the facts, ma’am…”

I am a reader. My analyzing brain likes to dig on certain things. The scanning skills I developed in coding helps me in research. And, I try to organize info in my head. Thank god for multiple tabs on multiple browsers (I use four different ones).

So, you started blogging to bitch about how ‘Who’ went wrong? 🤔

February 28, 2019 at 9:14 AM

I did not like when they made Dr Who a woman. To me that was like casting Robert Downey Jr. as Wonder Woman.
                    I would have been upset if they would have cast him as an American also…I started to blog originally to bitch about it. But I didn’t for a long time.
                    To me he is a British guy period… I was raised by my mom and sister…I’m not sexist…I just thought it was done by the BBC because of PC reasons.

February 28, 2019 at 3:10 PM

When the first advertisements came out, I was intrigued with the idea. But, I was also still watching Eccleston, Tennant & Smith. Plus, I grew up on Baker (Tom, not Colin). When I got to Capaldi, I was not happy. The funny, whimsical, alien Doctor was gone and Capaldi was a bore. Then, there was Bill. Yes. Thank you. We get it. She is gay. Do we have to be reminded of that constantly?

I’ve watched the first three episodes of Whittaker & crew. They are now perfectly balanced with a white woman, a white man, a black man & an indian woman. Where is the asian, pray tell? And, in the 3rd episode, I heard the “your kind” phrase and a revisit to Rosa Parks. Really?

Whittaker has none of the whimsy of Baker, Tennant or Smith. Eccleston had to work at it as he was this serious Shakespearean type. Davies made him miserable & tried to ruin his career.

I feel like I am, now, being preached to by the SJW. Though some Whovians didn’t like the Doctor’s ‘love’ of his companions, I thought it gave depth to the character. He is not a robot. He is just alien. Even Sarah Jane & Baker showed a subtle fondness for each other. Romana, not so much, even tho ‘Romana II’ wound up being Baker’s wife. She was a Time Lady so, there was that common alien thing.

Actually, I am heartbroken. I want some of silliness to come back…the Timey-Wimey ridiculousness that Baker, Tennant & Smith did effortlessly (and Eccleston learned). But, I also recognize that Doctor Who came to us as an ‘educational’ show. I guess we get re-educated, now, instead of entertained. 🙄

February 28, 2019 at 3:42 PM

I grew up on Tom Baker also. When it was announced that she was going to be the new Doctor… I replied to some comment on a public site…you would have thought I was the most sexist person in the world. No one would actually read the reasons I stated…No just that I didn’t think a woman could do anything. Jeez, my mom worked harder than any man I’ve ever known and I have nothing but respect for women…of course, then I started to be a smart ass to them.
                      Steven Moffat came out a year or so before and said that he didn’t think it was a good idea for a woman for the part…the next thing you know he was all for it. I’m sure the BBC was all over him. It’s the reasons more than anything like you said…the SJW part of it that sickens me. They did it for the wrong reasons.
                      I tried my best to like Capaldi. The guitar bit I hated with a passion. It just didn’t work and I don’t know who to blame…him or the writers? Yea I had a crush on Romana II as a kid.
                      It never bothered me about the affection he showed for his companions. I always liked it.
                      I’m hoping they get enough people like us who want a show without being preached to and cast who is best for the part…

February 28, 2019 at 4:08 PM

Lalla Ward is still cute even tho she is much older. Mary Tamm was pretty, too but, I think she is dead, now.

I’m hoping Who improves. Right now, I’m not seeing it.

I miss River Song, Amy & Rory, Donna Noble… Rose was alright but, I wanted to smack her mother. Martha was awesome but, I did not like Davies writing her as weepy & jealous of Rose…or Tennant constantly referring to her. Unnecessary drama. Losing Rose was bad enough but, strong Martha whining about it? Donna’s character was just as strong but, not whiny about past companions. How they wrote Martha belied the nature of who she actually was.

I miss Captain Jack, too. Did you ever watch Torchwood?

February 28, 2019 at 4:19 PM

Donna was probably my favorite companion…she was her own person…and so funny.
                      River Song, Rose, I even started to like Mickey a little. Martha was boring…not her but the writing.
                      I have never watched Torchwood but I have all of the shows…given to me by a Who fan I know.
                      I did like Captain Jack… He had a spark about him that made it fun. Now I’m going to have to watch some pretty soon.

You know who I hoped would be a companion…I think they missed the boat by not getting her… was Sally Sparrow off of Blink…which remains one of my favorite episodes.

Just looked up Lalla Ward…she still looks really good.

February 28, 2019 at 10:50 PM

Donna was badass. She was a scream and played off Tennant so well. And, she had one of the better story-lines.

I never like Mickey but, he did have some funny scenes…”I’m the tin dog!”

When Torchwood came out, I had trouble with it. It seemed a little too ‘over-the-top’ in acting but, that could have been goofy newness that needed to settle. It was also darker than Doctor Who. I’d like to see them, now.

I LOVED Sally Sparrow. She would have made a great companion. So would Nasreen Chaudry from “The Hungry Earth”/”Cold Blood”.

February 28, 2019 at 10:55 PM

I know a few of Who fans that didn’t like Donna…I thought she was great and added spice that Rose and Martha didn’t have.
                      I felt more sorry for Mickey but at the end of his arch he rose up.

Oh yes I forgot about her…she was great. You are right…she would have been a good one.

One loose end they had…was the Doctors daughter who Tenant married in real life… you would have thought she would have came back.

February 28, 2019 at 11:04 PM

Donna’s first appearance…she was obnoxious. But, she smoothed out quite a bit.

Noel Clarke finally got someone to write some good material for him.

Yeah. Georgia was a trip. And, Tennant has 13 years on her (get ’em when they are young!). She would have been like River, long lived and in messes.

February 28, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Yea I didn’t like Donna at first. Her best performance to me was the ‘Bad Wolf” episode where she takes a wrong turn and meets Rose…at least to me.

February 28, 2019 at 11:11 PM

I nearly peed myself watching her & Tennant on the Agatha Christie episode.

She was awesome as the ‘Doctor Donna’.

February 28, 2019 at 11:13 PM

Yes Doctor Donna… I gotta start watching those again. I have all of them. I wouldn’t want to wait and I had someone in England upload the episode as soon as it was played…. a week ahead of here…all in great quality.

March 1, 2019 at 12:05 AM

You’re hooked in!

February 28, 2019 at 4:31 PM
                      February 28, 2019 at 10:53 PM

I was lucky enough to catch that and record it off of BBCAmerica. It was LONG and half acting/half animation. At the very end of it, modern, white-haired Tom Baker makes an appearance. It was COOL.

February 28, 2019 at 10:56 PM

I loved when he showed up as an Art Curator in the Doctors episode.

March 1, 2019 at 12:06 AM

February 27, 2019 at 3:55 AM

How can you not say Yellow Submarine was a modern day classic to rival any of the finest poetic masterpieces Leonard Cohen produced……it’s a song to span any generation. So good that the music legends Pinky and Perky covered it.
    It’s strange it seems much longer than 55 years ago. Anything from before I was born must be prehistoric.

February 27, 2019 at 11:30 PM

When I hear Yellow Submarine, I hear a bunch of drunken sailors. I’m not sure what Cohen would think.
      I’ve never heard of Pinky & Perky.
      We Gen-Xers are aging.

hanspostcard said:
    February 27, 2019 at 4:34 AM

I think their early stuff- is neglected on the radio good thing there is an All -Beatles Radio Channel!

floatinggold said:
    February 27, 2019 at 11:19 AM

I never really liked that song…
    But it’s interesting to see what women liked then vs. now.