Shutterbug Saturday: Feathers Part III

Feathers Image One
Photo Credit: Magda Ehlers on Pexels

I love watching and listening to the birds. They are fun and fascinating. A few evenings ago, I was sitting in one of my Adirondack chairs I have in my yard. They are underneath a very large Hackberry tree. This tree is huge and old. As I was enjoying the sunset and journaling, I heard tapping…above my head. Then, I noticed dust-like material gathering in my lap, my pages and on my phone (and, no doubt, on my head). I looked directly above me, which was not an easy task in a high-back chair. Yes. It was a small woodpecker. This little thing had the entire tree to beat its beak into but, decided to do its routine…directly above me. I struggled to get shots but, I got a few. That will be for another post in the future.

Part I
Part II

Feathers Image Two
All Photos Are My Personal Collection
Invasion of the Buzzards
03-07-2017
Feathers Image Three
As carrion eaters, they are the clean-up crew.
Feathers Image Four
I never saw what they were after.
Feathers Image Five
I guess they have bodyguards or scouts.

Feathers Image Six

Feathers Image Seven
They hung out for a while.
Feathers Image Eight
Caught this beauty from the kitchen window (six years ago, tomorrow).
Sadly, all of those trees had to come down last year.
03-03-2013
Feathers Image Nine
I think this is a juvenile.
But, a Cooper’s Hawk or a Sharp-Shinned, I’m not sure.
Feathers Image Ten
Drake & mate(s) in a park in Central Texas.
12-12-2008

11 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: Feathers Part III

March 2, 2019 at 11:13 pm

I’ve known people to “collect birds”… have a book and when they see one write it down and start hunting for them until they find them all.

March 3, 2019 at 2:35 am

There are ‘bird people’. They research them, follow them, watch them and know all their latin names. I’m not THAT geeky. LOL!

March 3, 2019 at 2:43 am

Ah come on!
        No it actually is interesting.

March 3, 2019 at 1:55 pm

I confess that I do want to know what birds I see & hear. Some calls are distinct. You immediately know what bird it is…Cardinals, Bluejays, Mourning Doves, Carolina Wrens…and, you can’t miss the chatter of a Mockingbird. But Latin classifications within a species or genus, not so much. 😊 I know it is for proper identification but, it kinda makes my head hurt. 😖🤕🤯

March 3, 2019 at 2:21 pm

You wouldn’t need those details…Latin Classifications…now that would be a BIRD fanatic.

March 3, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Ornithologists. Degrees on the wall…

cindy knoke said:
    March 3, 2019 at 2:22 am

I think the prize is in the trash cans!

March 3, 2019 at 2:36 am

Referring to the buzzards?

March 3, 2019 at 5:30 pm

I’m with you. As I have got older increasingly love watching and listening to birds. We went to a bird reserve. I just stood and nodded as son discussed birds with the bird spotters. Not a clue.

JT Twissel said:
    March 3, 2019 at 1:32 pm

They don’t seem very shy, do they?

March 3, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Buzzards? No. They will eat in the middle of traffic if they can. At least they don’t attack you like Mockingbirds.