Shutterbug Saturday: Critter Collections Part I

Nature’s wonderful creatures with many legs or, none at all. All photos are my personal collection. ~Vic

Texas Brown Image One
Juvenile Texas Brown Tarantula
Found the little guy in our shed in the backyard (mating season).
I had trouble snapping his picture as he kept moving and I kept jumping.
09-10-2008
Texas Brown Image Two
Gentle spiders.
We turned him over to a friend who had Tarantulas as pets.
Red Verbena Image Three
Butterfly enjoying a Red Verbena.
Nature Preserve in Round Rock, TX.
10-25-2008
Red Dragonfly Image Four
Red Dragonfly
Nature Preserve.
Moth On Salvia Image Five
Beautiful moth on a Salvia in the Butterfly Garden at Gold Park.
06-20-2013
Orange Worm Image Six
Big, fast-moving worm…of some sort.
He had places to go.
08-30-2013
Orange Worm Image Seven
He looks like a carrot.
Moth In Window Image Eight
Moth in the dirty window of a friend’s house. 08-01-2014

More to come…

12 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: Critter Collections Part I

April 7, 2019 at 7:48 pm

These are great photos, kinda scary with the spider.

April 7, 2019 at 11:57 pm

I was really scared about what it was going to do. When we contacted our friend, I got all the Tarantula info I needed. They *can* bite and their venom can kill but, they can’t bite us. Mouth is too small. And, they have docile personalities. This juvenile was excitable because it was mating season and because we had put it in an old coffee can.

floatinggold said:
    April 8, 2019 at 1:12 pm

“He looks like a carrot.” That’s exactly what I thought.
    You made me laugh with the comment about the tarantula moving and you jumping, hence the compromised focus.

April 8, 2019 at 3:02 pm

He was trying to get out & it was scaring the crap out of me. My chiropractor at the time had them as pets. I got him on the phone…”DOOOOOOOOOOOC! We found a TARANTULA IN OUR SHEEEEEEEEEED! You want him?” He started laughing. “He will not hurt you. I’m on my way.”

That was the day I learned about native Texas Tarantulas.

floatinggold said:
        April 8, 2019 at 8:20 pm

My teachers said that the bee in our classroom wouldn’t hurt me. It was the first time I got stung by a bee.

April 9, 2019 at 12:40 am

Did it just arbitrarily sting you because that would be very odd. Or, did you freak out? What kind of bee? Honeybees only sting when threatened…then, they die. My maternal GM had a neighbor that tended bees and gave us free honey. They only time I ever got stung was when I stepped on one. Other than that, they never chased me down. Bumblebees are the same.

I wouldn’t give you ten cents for a wasp, yellow jacket or hornet. Those MFs will sting just for the hell of it.

floatinggold said:
            April 9, 2019 at 9:51 am

No, I was sitting very calmly.
            It might have been a wasp, now that I think about it. It was forever ago.
            And then I read your second paragraph. Uhum!

April 9, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Hornets will chase you down as a swarm. Yellow jackets can give chase, individually but, they will sting you for fun if you approach. Wasps…they are ill tempered & will sting if rattled.

All bees will approach if you smell or look like food.

I’ve heard about the African Honeybee swarming & killing people but, I’ve never seen one of those type bees.

My maternal GF burned many a YJ nest & Hornet nest. We just sprayed the wasps. They are solitary critters & will kill their own kind.

floatinggold said:
                April 9, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for the interesting tidbits.

April 9, 2019 at 9:44 pm

Awesome spider…….the Red Dragonfly pic is awesome…love the surroundings.

April 9, 2019 at 10:02 pm

My chiro was certainly overjoyed to get the spider. It was an interesting encounter.

I followed that dragonfly for ten minutes trying to catch him.

April 9, 2019 at 10:22 pm

the scenery was great on the dragonfly…such a peaceful scene