Tune Tuesday: Gladys Knight & The Pips 1974

Gladys Knight & The Pips Image One
Photo Credit: pilotonline.com

Forty-five years ago, today, the #1 song on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop chart was Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me by Gladys Knight & The Pips. Written by Jim Weatherly, a former quarterback for the University of Mississippi, is the same songwriter that penned what became known as Midnight Train to Georgia, a previous hit for Gladys & her Pips. The song was originally recorded in 1973 by country music artist Ray Price.

Gladys Knight & The Pips Image Two
Image Credit: 45cat.com

From Wikipedia:

Weatherly told Tom Roland in The Billboard Book of Number One Country Hits that he wrote the song in 1971 and let his father-in-law first record it as a Christmas present for the latter’s wife. “I thought it was really strange that nobody’d written a song with that title — possibly somebody had but, I’d never heard it — so, I just sat down and let this stream of consciousness happen. I basically wrote it in a very short period of time, probably 30 minutes or an hour.”

Other artists to cover the song were Dean Martin, Steve Lawrence, Andy Williams, The Persuaders and, James Cleveland & The Charles Fold Singers.

The song made it to #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Lyrics:
I’ve had my share of life’s ups and downs
But fate’s been kind, the downs have been few
I guess you could say that I’ve been lucky
Well, I guess you could say that it’s all because of you

If anyone should ever write my life story
For whatever reason there might be
Ooo, you’ll be there between each line of pain and glory
‘Cause you’re the best thing that ever happened to me
Ah, you’re the best thing that ever happened to me

Oh, there have been times when times were hard
But always somehow I made it, I made it through
‘Cause for every moment that I’ve spent hurting
There was a moment that I spent, ah, just loving you

If anyone should ever write my life story
For whatever reason there might be
Oh, you’ll be there between each line of pain and glory
‘Cause you’re the best thing that ever happened to me
Oh, you’re the best thing that ever happened to me
I know, you’re the best thing, oh, that ever happened to me

21 thoughts on “Tune Tuesday: Gladys Knight & The Pips 1974

April 16, 2019 at 7:32 PM

I remember my big sister playing this song over and over again. Got into my soul.

April 17, 2019 at 1:51 AM

It is grand. No doubt.

I discovered them on my own. I don’t recall my parents playing them.

hanspostcard said:
    April 16, 2019 at 8:34 PM

I think Gladys Knight has been overlooked when compared to other acts in that era. She sounded great at the Super Bowl a couple months ago.

April 17, 2019 at 1:53 AM

I agree, totally. Everyone raves about Aretha. Gimme Gladys. She had that voice, smooth scat and she was SO pretty.

And, I didn’t watch the Super Bowl…

hanspostcard said:
        April 17, 2019 at 4:08 AM

She sang the National Anthem before the Super Bowl.. I forget who was the half time show- but Gladys outshined them. The game was in her native Atlanta, She should have been the half time show!

April 17, 2019 at 3:49 PM

I wonder if that is on YouTube…

SEE. We agree on stuff…😁💕

hanspostcard said:
            April 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Yes we do we probably agree more than we disagree- i bet it is.. she did a great job! I still can’t remember the half time Moron 5 maybe?

April 16, 2019 at 10:35 PM

Hot R&B/Hip-Hop chart???? They didn’t have that word in 74 right? Was it the R&B Chart? or Soul Chart?

April 17, 2019 at 2:01 AM

Here is some history for you:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_number-one_rhythm_and_blues_hits (1942-1959)
      Judging by this, the ‘Hip-Hop’ was added in 2012 (scroll to the bottom):

I put R&B/Hip-Hop because, Billboard, even on their charts archive, changed the name on EVERYTHING:

I link to both…Wiki & Billboard. Wiki shows the names of what they were. If something isn’t political, Wiki is usually straight. Sometimes, citations aren’t there so, I end up doing further research on my own.

April 17, 2019 at 1:23 PM

Now I do go to Billboard but Billboard can be confusing at times. I think it’s way too many charts now.
        That is interesting.

April 17, 2019 at 4:39 PM

Oh dear GOD, I agree. I just looked at Billboard’s site on my phone. They finally merged Mainstream Rock & Alternative Rock into Hot Rock and, new categories of Web & GOAT…Greatest of all Time.

April 17, 2019 at 5:19 PM

They must put everything in a neat box

April 18, 2019 at 12:31 AM

*eyes rolling*

April 18, 2019 at 12:32 AM

lol…
                Oh hey…. stupid question and me too lazy to search…how do you post just an image? I found a meme I gotta post but just the pic

April 18, 2019 at 1:10 AM

Add New
                  Title the post…
                  Cursor in the body, select ‘Add Media’. Link to a URL or upload.

Does that help?

April 18, 2019 at 1:13 AM

You know I googled it but I got a lot of add images…I only get one shot lol…
                    What I did was what you said…add media and picked the pic from my folder… and post format “image”…I haven’t posted it yet…

April 18, 2019 at 2:48 AM

I’ve never done a ‘post format’. I just Add New, type a title (make sure I like my slug), put my cursor in the body & select add media. From there, I upload what I need or, in another tab in the browser, I find what I want, grab the URL & use that. I use ‘Alt’ in the link (in case the image won’t load, it is a textual marker) and I use captions for information. I also adjust alignment if I need to.

Am I making sense?

April 18, 2019 at 9:27 AM

Yes you are…That is what I did so we will see when I publish it.

nostaligicitalian said:
    April 17, 2019 at 12:00 AM

Always loved this song. Gladys was one of my favorite Motown singers!