Tune Tuesday: May 14, 1979

Peaches & Herb Image One
Photo Credit: mm-group.org

Forty years ago, today, the #1 song on the Billboard Hot R&B chart (and the Hot 100 chart, simultaneously, plus Cash Box) was Reunited by Peaches & Herb (Herb Fame & Linda “Peaches #3” Greene). The song was co-written by Dino Fekaris and Freddie Perren, whom also co-wrote Shake Your Groove Thing, a previous Peaches & Herb song and, I Will Survive, the Gloria Gaynor hit. This was a sequel piece to the duo’s (Herb Fame & Francine “Peaches” Hurd Barker) previous song (We’ll Be) United released in 1968, a cover of The Intruders hit from 1966.

The song sold over two million copies, was the Billboard #5 song for 1979 and the RPM (Canadian) #9 song for 1979 (Wayback Machine). Artists Louise Mandrell (with husband R. C. Bannon), Faith No More and Lulu (with Cliff Richard) have done cover versions. [This link reflects David Hasselhoff and Raven-Symone as cover artists but, I can’t verify. ~Vic]

Nominated for:
American Music Award: Favorite Soul/R&B Song
Grammy: Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo, Group Or Chorus

Lyrics
[Verse 1:]
I was a fool to ever leave your side
Me minus you is such a lonely ride
The breakup we had
Has made me lonesome and sad
I realize I love you cause
I want you back, hey, hey

I spent the evening with the radio
Regret the moment that I let you go
Our quarrel was such
A way of learning so much
I know now that I love you
Cause I need your touch, hey, hey

[Chorus:]
Reunited
And it feels so good
Reunited
Cause we understood

There`s one perfect fit
And sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited
Cause we`re reunited
Hey, hey

[Verse 2:]
I sat here staring
At the same old wall
Came back to life just when I got your call

I wished I could climb right
Through the telephone line
And give you what you want
So you will still be mine
Hey, hey

I can’t go cheating
Honey, I can’t play
I found it very hard to stay away

As we reminisce on
Precious moments like this
I`m glad we`re back together
Cause I missed your kiss

Cause we`re reunited
Hey, hey

Yeah, yeah, yeah, baby

[Verse 3:]
Oh, lover, lover
This is solid love
And you`re exactly what I`m dreaming of

All through the day
And all through the night
I`ll give you all the love I have
With all my might
Hey, hey

[Repeat Chorus:]
Reunited
And it feels so good
Reunited
Cause we understood

There`s one perfect fit
And sugar, this one is it…

37 thoughts on “Tune Tuesday: May 14, 1979

nostaligicitalian said:
    May 15, 2019 at 3:08 am

I remember this one, mainly because it was on an 8 track tape that my dad made for my mom of ballads.

May 15, 2019 at 1:36 pm

It was played so much, I got sick of it.

Mondegreens flashback:
      “I spent the evening with a rainy nose…” 😆

nostaligicitalian said:
        May 15, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Lol! It was definitely one of those songs that was over played! and just when you got it out of your head… Then they started using it in commercials!

hanspostcard said:
    May 15, 2019 at 5:17 am

It was a bit before my time but I wasn’t aware that Peaches and Herb had 5 Top 40 hits in 1967.. I am certain I never heard any of those singles.

May 15, 2019 at 1:45 pm

I haven’t either…as I recall. Francine retired after two years. Didn’t like the touring. From my reading, he went thru seven “Peaches”.

hanspostcard said:
        May 15, 2019 at 1:59 pm

I wonder if he was a hard guy to work for? I didn’t care for it at the time but Reunited a pretty good tune.

floatinggold said:
    May 15, 2019 at 9:00 am

What a peachy voice.

May 15, 2019 at 8:21 pm

Wow that’s a blast from the past. One of my sisters loved them.

May 16, 2019 at 12:32 am

6th grade…this song was huge. A girl named Michelle sat in front of me…I noticed later she looked like Drew Barrymore…that is probably the reason I liked Drew. I remember those portable record players that the single would slide in like a Mac cd does now…I remember some girl having this record playing at school… this is a boring comment…but great times.

May 16, 2019 at 1:22 am

Not at all. You are sharing a memory.

I don’t remember the record players you are talking about. Was the slide automatic like a computer? I had a boxed kind with a handle.

Ramble On…! 😉

May 16, 2019 at 9:12 am

This was a much older model…but like this link I’m including…I’ll NEVER forget it…On another occasion in the middle of class…I was looking at it and push the record in with my foot…didn’t think a thing about it…all of a sudden… (ONCE TWICE THREE TIMES A LADY) came blaring out. Very embarrassing.

May 16, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Wait! That DOES look damn familiar.

Were you embarrassed because of Michelle?

May 16, 2019 at 1:22 pm

No just that record blaring out and everyone looking at me in the middle of class.

May 17, 2019 at 12:29 am

LOL! Ah…6th grade. I remember it well.

May 17, 2019 at 12:31 am

That was one of my best years in school…before it got serious.

May 17, 2019 at 1:11 am

I had fun in 5th grade. I hated 6th because I had a hateful teacher (the other was nice). Fifth to sixth was a transition from elementary to middle but, they maintained the same format…team rooms. I didn’t start changing classes until 7th.

Past that, my parents split when I was in 7th and divorced when I was in 8th. Seventh was also the grade I started having knee trouble.

May 17, 2019 at 1:13 am

My parents split really before i started school. 6th we still were in elementry and then they moved us to Jr high in 7th to a new school…I hated it. The school had just been built and they were strict

May 17, 2019 at 1:29 am

Our city/county was weird. 1-5 was elementary. 6-8 was middle. 9th was in the middle of town and all the kids in the city, east & west, were thrown together for one year. Then, we were separated, again, for 10-12 at our respective high schools. My group, class of 1984, was the last group to go to that 9th junior high. They closed it after us (open that way for only a decade) and the high schools became 9-12.

Our class still keeps up with the other class (only two high schools in my hometown). Our reunions are usually on the same date and close by. When my mother remarried (in the middle of my 9th year), I wound up going to the ‘other’ high school for a semester before returning to the high school I was headed for, originally (that gets into my mother and her strong desire to live on the ‘west’ side of town so she could ‘rub elbows’ with the Country Club crowd *eyes rolling*). Marriage lasted 13 months.

May 17, 2019 at 1:35 am

So you got cheated out of a year of High School like we did…it still pisses me off because I loved High School yet hated Jr High.

That sucks on that timing. Mine was better with the divorce because I was too young to know any better…that was a terrible time for you to switch schools.

Yea that pretentious stuff is not for me.

May 17, 2019 at 1:59 am

I didn’t mind the 9th grade school but, it was the only year I had to ride the bus. I didn’t like that.

I didn’t mind the other high school. I already knew some kids from 9th grade. Plus, we brought the 8th graders from their middle school with us since the other school closed. I wanted to stay there as I was in marching band (color guard) and was headed to be a grapplette. She snatched me out and I returned to the group I grew up with (she didn’t care how her actions affected me).

Speaking of pretentious…when we moved to the other side of town after her marriage, I started riding a different bus. I was very popular for a short while and got to sit at the front of the bus with the ‘in crowd’…until they found out that I wasn’t from a rich family. After that, I wasn’t so popular, anymore and moved farther back. The ‘non-in-crowd’ bunch was a lot more fun. Rich kids from rich families are like damn sharks.

May 17, 2019 at 9:07 am

I grew up with some famous musician’s kids and music people’s kids…I know what you are saying…most were total jerks except a small few.
                      I hated the school bus period. Where I lived I was the first to get on and last one off. The happiest day was when I could drive to school.
                      I only moved briefly when I was in second grade…never had to leave my school after that. I was lucky enough to stay with the bunch I grew up with most of the way through. 9th grade is not a good time to get snatched out.

May 17, 2019 at 3:03 pm

Sorry, sweetie. My flow of thoughts don’t necessarily translate well when I am typing.

At the beginning of my 9th year, I was to go to my designated HS on the east side. In the middle of the year, my mom remarried and we moved to the west side, putting me in the area of the other HS (actually, the same HS my dad, his brother & my two cousins graduated from). I stayed in 9th as it was the only 9th in the city, until it closed after us. I started 10th at the west side HS. I already knew my class from 9th & made new friends with the upper & lower classmen. In the middle of that year, we moved back to the east side when the marriage fell apart. Actually, we moved to an adjacent city (county seat) & I had to use my dad’s address to get into my own HS. Without his address, I was in the district of a third HS that I sure as hell didn’t want to go to.

So, I was snatched out of the middle of 10th. That brought another problem. Semester tests. She pulled me out before I was done. I had to live with my paternal GPs for two weeks to finish testing. That lead into a giant, bloody fight between my dad & his dad (many years coming) over me and I spent my third week of testing with my uncle & aunt. My paternal GF was a nasty alcoholic.

10th grade was FUN. Prior to the move, I had knee surgery. So, I was recovering from that, moving, living with my GPs, living with uncle & aunt and, when done, started at my original HS on crutches…in the middle of the year.

May 17, 2019 at 3:35 pm

Well that was a disatrous year geez. Stability is something you didn’t have at all.
                      I sure wish parents would think before they do things. Like I said before you had it worse because you were older. My sister was older than me so she saw a lot of crap that I didn’t notice.
                      Some people have told me…well that makes you stronger…maybe so but in other ways it can make problems. Kids including teenagers have enough trouble as it is without parents doing their sh*t.

May 17, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Well said. And, some people shouldn’t have kids. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. I had good GMs, tho…❤

Rivergirl said:
    May 16, 2019 at 1:35 pm

I hate to admit it, but I was a teenager when Reunited came out and we blasted it mercilessly. Something about Riunite wine and ruining your nighty if I recall….
    I’m not proud, but there it is.

May 17, 2019 at 12:34 am

I was 12 when it came out. I was in 7th grade.

I remember Riunite wine! Been drunk on that many times.

I’m not understanding the ‘ruining your nighty’ part…

Rivergirl said:
        May 17, 2019 at 6:11 am

Adolescent play on words of the Riunite wine.
        Like I said, I’m not proud.
        😉

May 17, 2019 at 2:20 pm

😆 It’s OK. Youth is the proving ground for the stories that show up at dinner parties after a few drinks. 🍷🍸🍹🥃🍺🍾🍻🥂🤢🤮