Shutterbug Saturday: Wildlife

The deer in this town are so used to not being hunted, they will come out in broad daylight, eat, play and stare at you. Some are almost tame and you can get rather close to them. They’re cute but, they will mess up a garden if it is not properly secured. I learned the hard way not to plant tulips and I discovered that they like green/white Hosta but, not the green/yellow. They will not touch Narcissus. ~Vic

Wildlife Image One
Evening Walk
04-30-2019

Wildlife Image Two
Around Town
05-22-2019

Wildlife Image Three
Grazing, fear free.
05-22-2019
Wildlife Image Four
Tried to zoom in a bit.
The fuzziness makes it look like a painting.
05-22-2019

31 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: Wildlife

msjadeli said:
    September 15, 2019 at 12:45 am

They are fearless little buggers, at least where you are. They’re more skittish here, but they will come up and eat the dropped fruit from my apple and pear trees. Yes, they also love to nibble my hosta, at least some of them. They also love lilies. I had to put fencing in front of my new ones this year to keep them away. Thankfully they grew more buds and all blossomed. Nice photos, Vic.

September 15, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Our next door neighbor has a mulberry tree & they go crazy over that.

I didn’t know about lilies.

Thank you! They are fun to watch.

msjadeli said:
        September 15, 2019 at 2:23 pm

You are welcome and didn’t know that about mulberries!

cindy knoke said:
    September 15, 2019 at 1:00 am

Love your photos!

September 15, 2019 at 2:01 pm

Thank you, dear. I ALWAYS enjoy yours.

Silk Cords said:
    September 15, 2019 at 1:15 am

That, sadly, is what happens when nature gets out of balance. I bet all the wolves and other predators were completely ran out of the area years ago.

September 15, 2019 at 2:44 pm

Pretty much. This area had a rather large group of hunter haters and it was demanded they stop…Bambi syndrome. Wolves were driven out/killed long before I was born. Coyotes were driven out.

A few years back, the deer population grew so much that people started to complain of garden destruction and flea/tick infestations. What did NC Wildlife do? They released or relocated Coyotes to try to reduce the deer…and didn’t inform the public. Now, we have a Coyote problem as they attack in packs like dogs. They are going after cattle, chickens, ducks, geese, cats, dogs, sometimes horses but, the deer are still here…everywhere. Then, Wildlife put out a notice to shoot Coyotes on sight. Idiots.

September 15, 2019 at 1:42 am

There were 4 in the driveway the other day but once the door was opened they were gone.

September 15, 2019 at 3:06 pm

Yeah. They don’t hang around to chat. Just eating machines…

September 15, 2019 at 3:10 pm

Have they messed with your garden before?
        The biggest danger I’ve heard is when it is mating season…I’ve been told they can be deadly then.

September 15, 2019 at 3:36 pm

I wish I had a garden. Can’t grow one for a variety of reasons.

Luckily, they don’t appear to be mating in town. 😳 Too much noise, I would imagine.

September 15, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Yea we would like a garden also. She has a flower place in front and we have dropped Strawberries etc…but those damn squirrels get them.

LOL the mood is not right in town.

September 15, 2019 at 10:39 am

Our deer hang out in the cornfields, then in the winter, they hang out in my yard. I have learned to plant only NON-deer food, otherwise…it ain’t pretty what they can do. (Forget Roses)

September 15, 2019 at 3:08 pm

I didn’t know they ate roses. They can be destructive as hell.

September 15, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Yes. They adore roses…nip the buds right off the bush. And if you have flowers OH! MY! It’s buffet time!

floatinggold said:
    September 15, 2019 at 1:43 pm

You are officially a stalker. SO many different shots from different dates. However, these are not of the same animal. You lost your mark!

September 15, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Heh. Honestly, I’m out walking, minding my own business and they just show up. Stealth little things. I’ve had them scare the s*** out of me. My buddy & I had them nearly walk up to us on the Riverwalk (a later post). I think they are stalking us. LOL! Herds of ’em…

floatinggold said:
        September 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm

No one will believe you, because I was the one to speak out on their behalf against you. You speaking out against them just seems like revange.

September 15, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Do I need an attorney? 🤔

floatinggold said:
            September 15, 2019 at 7:26 pm

No need. I will only ask you a couple of questions. If you cooperate, you have nothing to worry about. You don’t have anything to hide. Or do you? *puts hands on the table and looks down on you*

September 15, 2019 at 7:50 pm

I know nothing, nothing, nothing…*shaking head* 🤫🤐

floatinggold said:
    September 15, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Also, told you yellow wasn’t the best of colors. The deer know it.

September 15, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Yellow must taste bad. 🤔🤨

floatinggold said:
        September 15, 2019 at 4:47 pm

I do love me some pineapple.

September 15, 2019 at 6:34 pm

I’m with ya’, there! 🍍

ruthsoaper said:
    September 15, 2019 at 7:17 pm

We have a large deer population in our area. I counted 23 grazing in the back field last evening and they weren’t in a big hurry to run off as Trooper and I approached. It is always something to consider when deciding what to plant and where to plants it. A few things they don’t like – Garlic, Lavender, Oregano and Thyme.

September 15, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Onions, too, as I recall. I grew some Egyptian walking onions & they wouldn’t touch them.