POTD: Examiner Encounters #3

I posted a couple of pictures from my Examiner days back in May. I found another one. I took several pix while working but, I have them scattered. There may be more.
Encounter I
Encounter II

I don’t remember why she had the Service Dog. She certainly wasn’t blind and didn’t have any disabilities. I think she may have been a trainer. What an adorable baby.

Service Dog Image
05-31-2016

11 thoughts on “POTD: Examiner Encounters #3

Silk Cords said:
    September 30, 2019 at 6:55 am

Probably was a trainer. Some people have service dogs as a sort of “security blanket” also though. There’s a charity that advertises here occasionally that specializes in placing dogs with veterans with PTSD, as one example. 🙂 Definitely a cute pup though. I’d say the band around it’s muzzle is the biggest indicator that it’s still in training.

September 30, 2019 at 12:53 pm

Ah. Good point. I hadn’t thought about the muzzle.

I got up from my desk & walked around to snap the photo. She made it clear that I wasn’t to get too close. THAT, I do remember.

floatinggold said:
    September 30, 2019 at 10:07 am

I get very upset when I see people pet a dog without asking the owner first. Especially when it comes to military dogs.

September 30, 2019 at 1:18 pm

It is best to ask. Sometimes, though, the dog makes the decision. I’ve seen really happy doggies on the Riverwalk that demand attention from strangers because the are that friendly. But, working dogs? They should never be messed with.

floatinggold said:
        September 30, 2019 at 1:36 pm

I see what you mean by the dog making the decision. I still ask before bending down. I know of people who dislike this very much even if their dog craves company. There can be many reasons for that.
        When I see a dog trained to sniff out bomb and a bunch of loud, giggly people rush over to baby talk and take selfies… I just can’t.

September 30, 2019 at 1:53 pm

Some people have no self control or filters.

I can usually tell how an owner will react when their dog clearly wants to come up to you for wags & scratches. If they stop walking, they don’t mind. If they continue to walk, even when the dog moves towards you, I just say ‘hello, baby’ and keep moving, myself. The owner is not interested & I’m not going to push it.

floatinggold said:
            September 30, 2019 at 5:54 pm

I think that’s a perfect approach.

September 30, 2019 at 2:08 pm

You have to practice awareness. Many just rush headlong into…whatever and are surprised when shit blows up in their faces. I have an ex that used to call that “no home training.” LOL!

September 30, 2019 at 11:11 am

There are so many service dogs nowadays. For health issues, for emotional issues–hooray for the trainers!

jmshistorycorner said: