Weird S*** Wednesday: The Silent People

The Silent People Image One
Photo Credit: Timo Newton-Syms & Amusing Planet

In looking thru odd stories, this caught my attention. From Oddity Central:

A Creepy Art Installation Freaking People Out on Google Maps

By Spooky on May 15th, 2020
An eerie art installation located in a barren field in the Finnish countryside recently went viral after someone accidentally stumbled upon it while searching on Google Maps. With quarantine and isolation measures still in place in many countries around the world, people are spending a lot of time online looking for cool places to visit once they can travel again. Many are using free tools, like Google Maps, and end [up] going deeper down the rabbit hole than they originally anticipated. That’s probably how some people recently discovered The Silent People, […] creepy-looking [figures] that left them scratching their heads about why anyone would fill a field with hundreds of scarecrows and dress them as real people.

Seen from afar, The Silent People [site] looks like a perfectly still army of people all facing the same way. It’s only when you take a closer look that you realize it’s made up of wooden frames covered in human clothes and heads made of [peat], which does a surprisingly good job of emulating human hair. Even knowing that it’s an art installation, you still feel uneasy looking at the almost one thousand still [bodies] but, knowing absolutely nothing about it and [suddenly] finding it on Google Maps can really freak a person out.

The Silent People Image Two
Photo Credit: Antti T. Nissinen & Amusing Planet

From Amusing Planet:

Hiljainen Kansa: The Silent People of Suomussalmi, Finland

By Kaushik Patowary on March 28, 2015
Motorists driving along Highway 5, about 30 km north of the small town of Suomussalmi, in north-eastern Finland, are greeted by a peculiar sight. A crowd of almost a thousand figures stand silently on a field near the road. In the morning with light behind them, this motionless army appears morose, even menacing. But, when a light breeze picks up their colorful dresses and blows them around their still bodies, they appear to have sprung into life.

This army of scarecrow-like figures called “The Silent People” or “Hiljainen Kansa” in Finnish, were the creation of local artist Reijo Kela. They were first displayed in 1988 in a field in Lassila, a neighbourhood of Helsinki. Later in 1994, these were on display in the Market Place of Helsinki’s Senate Square, then on the banks of the river Jalonuoma, Ämmänsaari and finally moved to this location in 1994 itself.

Additional Reading:
The Silent People (Atlas Obscura)

26 thoughts on “Weird S*** Wednesday: The Silent People

May 20, 2020 at 4:26 AM

That would spook me out so much.

MichaelStephenWills said:
    May 20, 2020 at 8:35 AM

ha, ha, ha love it

Silk Cords said:
    May 20, 2020 at 9:32 AM

Wild…

May 20, 2020 at 1:52 PM

I can see folks on Google Maps/Earth going “WTF is that???” 🤔🤨😳

Linda Brown said:
    May 20, 2020 at 10:24 AM

That was very interesting. I like the creativity of people…always something new and interesting if you just look!

May 20, 2020 at 1:54 PM

I know it’s art and expression but, it still creeps me out. And, no one knows why he did it. He won’t say.

May 20, 2020 at 10:24 AM

I find this very interesting. There is always something neat out ‘there’ if we just look. And there are always people who come up with ‘fun’ things.

May 20, 2020 at 1:57 PM

Now that is just weird. I got both of your comments. One says “Linda Brown” & the other says “Dayphoto”. How did you do that?

May 21, 2020 at 12:19 PM

Your site is making me sign on every time I comment. One of them said the comment failed and I had to resign on.

May 21, 2020 at 1:39 PM

WordPress is such a pain in the butt. I rarely, if ever, comment directly on someone’s site. I either responded via the phone app (like, right now) or I use the Reader in a browser on my laptop.

Do you visit all of your blog friends, directly on their sites?

May 21, 2020 at 3:19 PM

Yes I do. It’s has worked for me for years.

May 21, 2020 at 4:01 PM

Wow. That is a lot of work, going from site to site to site. I couldn’t do it. I get notifications in my panel (in the Reader) for blogs I follow and read the news feed of all of them, together.

When you sign into YOUR site to do posts, have you never tried the Reader? It should show up in your Admin. stuff.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    May 20, 2020 at 10:43 AM

Looks like something out of a horror movie…Not scary just odd. If you just walked up on this…yea it would be creepy.

May 20, 2020 at 2:00 PM

Yeah. I could see teenagers running thru it with some of the figures going after them. They touch the teens and they become the same.

Can you imagine the folks on Google Maps/Earth stumbling across that? WTF??? 😳🤯

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        May 20, 2020 at 2:24 PM

It’s freaky enough for me want to have a piece of land like that…just to freak people out…mannequins would be great also.

May 20, 2020 at 3:14 PM

You have a twisted brain. LOL!

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            May 20, 2020 at 4:38 PM

Thank you Vic…Thank you very much. It took a lot of training to get at this point.

Todd Garlington said:
    May 20, 2020 at 7:43 PM

Love it. Rock on, Silent People.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    May 20, 2020 at 8:35 PM

I couldn’t walk around them, a bit too creepy for me, I’d definitely have nightmares that night!

May 21, 2020 at 12:02 AM

Yeah. I like to photograph interesting things but, this? It’s too high up on my “freak” scale.