Song Saturday: Gates of the Country

Black Lab 1998 Image
Photo Credit: Paul Durham (the blond)
June 1998
Wikipedia

“Somehow I see, there are ships in her eyes…”

This Saturday’s playlist submission was never released as a single and it never charted…anywhere. It’s the last track, number 12, on the original 1997 debut release of Your Body Above Me by Black Lab. An alternative rock band founded in San Franciso, CA, in 1995 by Paul Durham, the band’s name is an amalgam of band names Black Sabbath and Stereolab. The album did have two hits, one of which peaked at #6 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart.

There is not a bad song on this album and I nearly wore out my CD. I took notice of them when an alternative rock station showcased their first track (the #6 hit). I love Paul Durham‘s voice and, the band has had many songs used in movies and television, most notably Spider-Man (2002), Blade: Trinity and Transformers.

Black Lab World (Official Site)
Paul Durham (Official Site)

Lyrics

14 thoughts on “Song Saturday: Gates of the Country

charliecountryboy said:
    June 27, 2020 at 6:09 AM

I have to admit I had never heard of them but after such a cracking review. I’ll give them a go ūüėČ

June 27, 2020 at 2:35 PM

The music is a little on the dark side but, thought provoking nonetheless. It may take me years to post them but, I have a substantial playlist on my phone.

Thanks for reading and listening.

June 27, 2020 at 1:15 PM

Nice. Sad, but nice.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    June 30, 2020 at 4:56 PM

Sounds good… it is like you said on the dark side…the tone of it. I never heard of them…that is not surprising because I didn’t listen to radio at that time very much.

June 30, 2020 at 10:07 PM

There were the two songs released that charted and that was it. I grabbed the CD, back in the days before downloading just one song was all the rage. I wore it out. There is only one song that is a little annoying but, it’s still decent. That CD reminds me of all the other CDs I snatched up during the alternative rock craze. There was a station out of Winston-Salem that I listened to that showcased all alternative…Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Black Lab, The Breeders, Varuca Salt, Soundgarden, The Offspring, Liz Phair, Alice in Chains, Jesus & Mary Chain, Smashing Pumpkins, Blind Melon, Bush, The Cardigans, The Cranberries, Collective Soul, Violent Femmes, The Verve, Third Eye Blind, Blink 182, Seven Mary Three, even the local stuff like Dillon Fence, Far Too Jones, Cry of Love & Squirrel Nut Zippers…on & on & on…all the good stuff that moved to the side of all the rap and mindless pop of that time.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        June 30, 2020 at 10:22 PM

I remember the Squirrel Nut Zippers name lol. They picked one to remember that is for sure.
        I was listening to my cd player in my Probe at the time…I think it was a cd player…yes it was.
        It does have that 90s vibe to it.

June 30, 2020 at 10:55 PM

I know their original bass player, Don Raleigh (QNZ). I worked with him for a short time when I was repairing pianos.

Lead singer James Mathus used to be in a band called Johnny Vomit & The Dry Heaves. How’s that for a band name…