Song Saturday: Jamie’s Cryin’

Van Halen Album Image
Image Credit: SoundCloud

“She saw the look in his eyes, and she knew better…”

This Saturday’s playlist submission is Jamie’s Cryin’ by American rock band Van Halen, formed in 1972 in Pasadena, California. The sixth track from their debut album Van Halen, it was released as a single on May 16, 1978 but, it never charted. Credit for songwriting is the whole band and the album peaked at #19 on the Billboard 200 on May 20, 1978 after its February 10 release. It was certified RIAA Diamond (10x Platinum) in sales on August 7, 1996.

After their 2015 North American Tour, they appear to be on indefinite hiatus. Eddie Van Halen has had some serious health problems.

American rapper Tone Lōc used the opening tom-tom and bass riff from this song on his 1989 hit Wild Thing and wound up settling out of court with Van Halen. He and Eddie Van Halen crossed paths some time afterwards and it wasn’t friendly.

I was in sixth grade when this song came out and I had no clue. I was all into disco back then. I didn’t know who they were until Dance the Night Away came out the following year. I didn’t buy an album of theirs until Diver Down. I have never been to a concert. ~Vic

Tone Lōc Talks About Debut Album & Eddie Van Halen (Billboard January 25, 2019)
America’s Songs III: Rock! Rock! (Google Books)
Van-Halen (Official Site)
Van Halen News Desk (Unofficial Site)
Gene Simmons Talks Lost Seventies Van Halen Demos (Rolling Stone March 22, 2016)
Eddie Van Halen’s Wife’s Positivity (Survivor Net September 8, 2020)

Lyrics

30 thoughts on “Song Saturday: Jamie’s Cryin’

Tippy Gnu said:
    September 12, 2020 at 8:50 AM

That’s a nice Van Halen tune. And it tells the sad story of a lot of young ladies.

September 12, 2020 at 7:09 PM

Yes it does.

I routinely post about what music is in my phone and other posts about releases.

Tippy Gnu said:
        September 12, 2020 at 7:17 PM

I like it when the lyrics are included. I generally can’t understand much of what singers are saying.

September 12, 2020 at 9:38 PM

I used to post the actual lyrics but, the link became sufficient. My buddy at Powerpop.blog always puts the lyrics below every music post he does.

I have to say that Eddie Vedder was the absolute worst at slurring words. Ever tried to listen to Yellow Ledbetter?

Tippy Gnu said:
            September 12, 2020 at 10:17 PM

The link method works for me.
            Never heard of Ledbetter. Or at least I don’t remember ever hearing of him.

September 12, 2020 at 10:39 PM

Dude, seriously? You have heard of Pearl Jam, yes?

Tippy Gnu said:
                September 12, 2020 at 10:49 PM

I’ve heard of Pearl Jam. Never listened to them before, though. Nice smooth sound, I like it. But you’re right, he does slur his lyrics pretty badly.

September 13, 2020 at 2:13 AM

I take it you weren’t into grunge and/or alternative rock when it was a thing?

Tippy Gnu said:
                    September 13, 2020 at 8:34 AM

Not much. I was a country deejay for a few years, and also a pop deejay a few times. I never got into the punk rock or grunge or AOR or alternative stuff. Not that it isn’t good, I just never got into it.

September 13, 2020 at 4:12 PM

That explains it.

I’ve followed another blogger that was a DJ:
                      He’s also stuck in a state with a tyrant for a governor.

Tippy Gnu said:
                      September 13, 2020 at 6:14 PM

Hmm, an Italian deejay. There are lots of ex-deejays out there. Doesn’t pay much for most, so we end up finding other careers.

September 13, 2020 at 8:01 PM

Yep. Now, he is struggling to stay in the medical field.

Judging by some of his stories, there was a time when DJing was a lot of fun.

Tippy Gnu said:
                      September 13, 2020 at 9:24 PM

I had fun being a DJ. I was the radio kind, not the party kind. What wasn’t fun was the low pay.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    September 12, 2020 at 7:16 PM

It’s amazing that it didn’t chart. It’s about as commercial as they got. Roth was a great front man…he just seems like he is forcing it at times…but it worked for him and them.

September 12, 2020 at 9:36 PM

He had a nice body and an interesting voice but, the personality…geez. I always wanted to smack him. I was never a big fan of Van Hagar but, Sammy had so much more cool finesse.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        September 12, 2020 at 9:57 PM

Yea the sad truth is…Sammy is much cooler and a better singer and a great guitar player but…they were better with Mr showboat singing…Eddie though is really out there…not easy to work with

September 12, 2020 at 10:35 PM

Must be a Dutch thing. “Wooden Shoes, Wooden Head, Wouldn’t Listen.”

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            September 12, 2020 at 11:08 PM

Yea Eddie…something mental is going on…and substance abuse…Poor Michael Anthony got shafted

September 13, 2020 at 2:22 AM

Hey. He’s been busy. One band he is with is Chicken Foot, among others.

Eddie is in bad shape right now, hence Roth’s comments about the band being done.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                September 13, 2020 at 2:26 AM

Yea I don’t want anything to happen to him…I’ve never been a fan of him. He unleashed a million copy cat guitarists who thinks all solos should be that stupid finger tapping…no soul whatsoever

Look how fast I play! yawn…. they treated Michael terrible…read about what they did to him. Just awful

September 13, 2020 at 2:32 AM

What? When he was bumped out for Wolfgang? Or something else?

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                    September 13, 2020 at 2:38 AM

They bassically cut his pay almost to nothing and wouldn’t let him on the 2004 tour unless he signed his rights away to VH….they put him on a salary instead of a cut…which is wrong in a lot of ways.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                    September 13, 2020 at 2:59 AM

I’m going now…we will talk tomorrow!