Constitution Day & Citizenship Day

September 17 has three celebrations. Constitution Day & Citizenship Day commemorates the 1787 signing of the Constitution of the United States, despite Rhode Island holding out until 1790 and, all naturalized citizens. Patrick Henry refused to attend the Convention as he preferred the Articles of Confederation. He feared a strong central government and saw the Constitution a step backwards.

Will the abandonment of your most sacred rights tend the security of your liberty? Liberty, the greatest of all earthly blessings—give us that precious jewel and you may take everything else. But I fear I have lived long enough to become an old-fashioned fellow. Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned: if so, I am contented to be so.

He managed to settle himself down after the Constitutional ratification as the convention members proposed 40 amendments, some of which became the Bill of Rights.

Under the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, citizenship is defined as “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.”

This holiday was first recognized in Iowa in 1911. The Sons of the American Revolution promoted it in 1917.

Also celebrated today:
National Apple Dumpling Day (Yum!)
National Monte Cristo Day (Also, yum!)

Cheers and enjoy!

8 thoughts on “Constitution Day & Citizenship Day

the britchy one said:
    September 18, 2018 at 1:35 AM

I’m coming up for my third anniversary of Citizenship (Oct 8th) so I’ll be waving my flag proudly 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

September 18, 2018 at 11:00 AM

Yay! 🇺🇸

This leads me to a question. Did you give up British citizenship or are you dual?

the britchy one said:
        September 18, 2018 at 11:32 AM

That’s a good question! As far as I’m concerned, I’m an American Citizen. I took a Pledge of Allegiance and to me, that’s sacred. I’m not judging others who think differently – it’s allowed! I just thought long and hard about how I’d feel if the US and UK became enemies and made the commitment to put one over the other. It doesn’t mean I don’t acknowledge or love my roots, it’s like a marriage. You grew up in one family but made your own and that takes first loyalty.
        However – it’s a grey area as the UK doesn’t recognise America’s right to allegiance so, in the eyes of the UK, I remain a British Citizen.
        I only have a US passport though so my commitment is whole.

September 18, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Wow. Interesting. So, Britain says “You can live in the US but, you still belong to us…”?

That kinda lends credence to what some say regarding the US never actually being totally free from “The Crown”.

Thanks for sharing!

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    September 18, 2018 at 6:40 AM

Liberty and freedom, is there any other country or nation in the entire history of the world that celebrates the absolute blessing of being a citizen of a greater nation in the world?

September 18, 2018 at 11:27 AM

I honestly can’t answer that. Before the immigration crisis, I’m pretty sure Swedes celebrated being citizens in their country. Canadians and the French, too. We DO appear to be the only country armed to the teeth on a personal level.

Freedom is a relative thing. The Native Americans that roamed this land before the mass immigration of Europeans were, technically, more free than we are now. No central government, no taxes, no jails… Perspective is a curious thing.

floatinggold said:
    September 18, 2018 at 12:14 PM

A great reminder to be proud of being citizens!