Movie Monday: The Desolation of Smaug 2013

Desolation of Smaug Image
Photo Credit: collider.com
Desolation of Smaug Image Two
Photo Credit: fanart.tv

Five years ago, today, the #1 film at the box office was The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, starring Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Cate Blanchett, Benedict Cumberbatch, Sylvester McCoy (Doctor Who #7) and Stephen Fry (apologies up front right now to all the Tolkien fans if I have missed a favorite actor of yours…I listed the ones that the U.S. audience would recognize).

IMBD Summary:

“The dwarves, along with Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the Grey, continue their quest to reclaim Erebor, their homeland, from Smaug. Bilbo Baggins is in possession of a mysterious and magical ring.

Interesting Trivia:
♦ Benedict Cumberbatch, in his own words, ”…ripped into [his] vocal cords quite literally, [he] had blood at the end of the day from tearing [his] throat to pieces…” in order to get Smaug’s voice right. The crew had to make a lot of “Gollum Juice” for him, a tea of honey, lemon and ginger, which Andy Serkis had created during the original trilogy when voicing Gollum.
During filming, Sir Ian McKellen had to spend several hours in a box, with nothing but a microphone and pictures of the Dwarves for company (the footage would be edited in to make him look taller than the Dwarves) and, was so upset by this that he exclaimed “This is not why I became an actor!” The microphone was still on and everyone on-set heard him as a result. In consolation, the cast and crew surprised him by sticking gifts, and encouragement messages, into his trailer.
♦ This was the fourth highest grossing film of 2013.
♦ At one time, this film was the 24th highest grossing film of all time (worldwide theatrical total, not factoring in TV, DVD, broadcasting rights, stage adaptions & merchandising) but, sits at the #44 position as of December 7, 2018.

With three Academy Award nominations, two BAFTA nominations, one Grammy nomination, one People’s Choice Award nomination, seven Saturn Award nominations, various other nominations and six wins, I will leave you to read up on all of the accolades on your own (extensive list).

9 thoughts on “Movie Monday: The Desolation of Smaug 2013

December 10, 2018 at 8:35 PM

i Was a bit sceptical when I first heard about this project. But it did impress me. In fact enjoyed it better than the book (rarity).

December 10, 2018 at 10:47 PM

I haven’t read the books. Perhaps I should. I usually have trouble with Hellyweird adaptations. They have FUBARed more than one book for me.

Liked by 2 people

December 11, 2018 at 12:19 AM

I did like this movie. I need to read the books though. Peter Jackson did a good job.

Liked by 2 people

December 11, 2018 at 1:11 AM

I understand that you won’t find Tauriel in the books.

Liked by 2 people

December 11, 2018 at 1:14 AM

I hate when Hollywood does that. I made the mistake of reading IT…I don’t know why they just have to add and subtract characters.

December 11, 2018 at 1:46 AM

I was disappointed at a young age when they messed up Firestarter. And, I’m still pissed that they messed up Wolverine despite how much I like Hugh Jackman.

Artistic License, I think they call it.

Liked by 2 people

December 17, 2018 at 2:02 PM

That is a great process to follow and I’d be much better off doing that. I’ve seen some well made…I understand some changes have to be made regardless…it’s when they add or subtract too much…but like you said…just look at it as a stand alone.

Liked by 2 people

PlantsandBeyond said:
    December 11, 2018 at 6:25 AM

Have not seen either movie , but nice to read scour them. Thank you!