Wayback Wednesday: Mama Cass Variety Show 1969

Update: Less than 24 hours after I posted this, YouTube snatched down the video. If they continue, YouTube won’t have any videos left to watch. So, that being said, I am leaving the original link and adding what I can find. ~Vic

Mama Cass Show Image One
Photo Credit: pinterest.com

Fifty years ago, today, Cass Elliot of the The Mamas & The Papas appeared in the TV special The Mama Cass TV Show. Directed by Sid Smith, it was an hour-long musical variety show co-produced by Chuck Barris. Guest stars were Barbara Bain, Martin Landau, Buddy Hackett, Joni Mitchell, John Sebastian, Mary Travers and, Elliot’s group, The Mamas & The Papas.

Mama Cass Show Image Two
Image Credit: thevideobeat.com

[This was] a one-shot pilot episode for a TV series that was never picked up. In 1968, Mama Cass had launched her solo career and was hoping to move into television. This one-hour program only aired once on ABC-TV and was never shown, again. The show features Mama Cass Elliot with special guest stars, John Sebastian (The Lovin’ Spoonful), Joni Mitchell, Mary Travers (Peter, Paul and Mary), Buddy Hackett, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain (husband & wife, both from Mission: Impossible and later, Space: 1999).

Songs include:
Mama Cass: Dream A Little Dream Of Me, “River Of Life,” I Can Dream, Can’t I, Dancing In The Street.
Mama Cass with Joni Mitchell: Both Sides, Now.
Mary Travers: And When I Die.
Mama Cass with Joni Mitchell and Mary Travers: I Shall Be Released.
John Sebastian: She’s A Lady.
Mama Cass with John Sebastian: Darlin’ Companion.

There are also comedy sketches with Buddy Hackett (who is dressed very groovy mod!), Martin Landau and Barbara Bain.

[Source]

17 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Mama Cass Variety Show 1969

cindy knoke said:
    June 27, 2019 at 1:00 am

So sad. She was so talented.

June 27, 2019 at 1:18 am

Yeah. She had some problems. She struggled with drug addiction and her weight. Beautiful voice, tho…

cindy knoke said:
    June 27, 2019 at 1:11 am

I watched the whole thing. Awesome!

June 27, 2019 at 1:21 am

LOL! I haven’t had time, yet! I’ve been busy reading (research material), posting, emailing and catching up on other bloggers. I will have to do it, tomorrow. I’ve had a busy few days, here lately. *whew*

June 27, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Well…*sigh*…so much for THAT idea. YouTube already took it down. 😠

talesfromthemindofkristian said:
    June 27, 2019 at 2:52 am

I love the Mamas and the papas and particularly Mama Cass. Also loved Peter Paul and Mary too. I may have a bit of Hippie in my heart…. 😉

June 27, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Heh. I think there is a little bit in all of us.

YouTube snatched down my video.

talesfromthemindofkristian said:
        June 28, 2019 at 3:25 am

Yes, they do that to me, sometimes. I don’t really understand the whole linking thing.

June 28, 2019 at 11:48 pm

It’s not the links that are bad (short code is the best method), they just take stuff down all the time. And, it’s getting worse and worse.

floatinggold said:
    June 27, 2019 at 9:29 am

There’s some decent comedy potential in there.

June 27, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Did you actually get to see it before YouTube snatched it down?

floatinggold said:
        June 27, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Why does YT hate you so much?
        Yes, I did.

June 27, 2019 at 5:23 pm

*sigh* It wasn’t even up 24 hours! I’m being surveilled…🤨🧐🔎📡

June 27, 2019 at 9:25 pm

She was a wild woman. Great voice though. She was with all the hip people in the Canyon back in the 60s. It’s kind of odd she was going cabaret…to make a living I guess she had to. Whenever someone recalls her name in interviews…it’s usually always good memories. She was a kind person from what I read.

June 28, 2019 at 11:45 pm

In the course of researching, I came across a story about her being on stage and being sick. She was pushed to perform, anyway and the audience booed her and many walked out. Her voice was scratchy and she was dizzy. It should have been called off or rescheduled. Instead, they panned her in the media.

Things haven’t changed much.

June 30, 2019 at 3:08 am

No they love building up and tearing down…Was this right before she died? She was in London in some show when she died.
        This is a cool article about her daughter.

July 1, 2019 at 2:36 pm

It was her failed Vegas show in 1968.

Great article!