Wayback Wednesday: Great Hurricane 1780

HMS Hector & HMS Bristol Image
HMS Hector & HMS Bristol in the 1780 Great Hurricane Photo Credit: ourplnt.com
Screen Capture Image
Stupidphone screen capture from The Weather Channel

As Hurricane Michael, a Cat 4 monster, slams the Florida Panhandle (making history, today), the Great Hurricane of 1780 is still the deadliest Atlantic hurricane in recorded history, with a death toll between 22,000 and 27,000+. Also referred to as the Great Hurricane of the Antilles, the 1780 Disaster and the Huracan San Calixto, it was one of four major hurricanes in the 1780 Atlantic hurricane season, the worst hurricane season in recorded history.

On October 10, the San Calixto Hurricane (official name) struck the island of Barbados with, possibly, 200+ mph wind gusts, making it an extreme Cat 5. The winds were so violent and so deafening that, reportedly, “people could not hear their own voices”. It felled most every tree, stripped the bark off the few left standing and nearly destroyed every house on the island. The specifics of the hurricane’s track and exact strength are unknown as the Atlantic hurricane database starts in 1851 but, historical records from Puerto Rico, Jose’ Carlos Milas (Cuban Meteorologist), NOAA and hurricane research from The University of Rhode Island indicate that the storm moved on to St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica and struck Guadeloupe. It turned towards Puerto Rico, hitting Isla de Mona and, later, the eastern portion of the Dominican Republic. The beast finally reached the Atlantic Ocean on October 15 after passing the Grand Turk Island. It passed Bermuda on October 18 and was last seen two days later off the coast of Cape Race in Newfoundland.

From Hurricane Science at The University of Rhode Island:

Coming in the midst of the American Revolutionary War, the 1780 hurricanes caused heavy losses to European fleets fighting for control of the New World’s Atlantic coast. A fleet of 40 French ships capsized off Martinique during the Great Hurricane, drowning approximately 4,000 soldiers. On St. Lucia, rough waves and a strong storm surge destroyed the British fleet of Admiral Rodney at Port Castries. Much of the British fleet was decimated by the three storms, and the English presence in the western North Atlantic was greatly reduced thereafter.

The worst losses, however, were suffered by Vice Admiral Peter Parker and Rear Admiral Joshua Rowley.

Other interesting October 10 history:

1582…..Due to the shift from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar, today does not exist.

1845…..The Naval School (U.S. Naval Academy) opens.

1967…..The Outer Space Treaty goes into effect (yes, this is a thing).

1973…..Spiro Agnew, Richard Nixon‘s first Vice President, resigns after pleading guilty to federal income tax evasion.

1985…..U.S. Navy F-14s intercept the Egyptian plane carrying the hijackers of the MS Achille Lauro and force it to land in Sicily. The hijackers are arrested.

Busy, busy day… ~Victoria

16 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Great Hurricane 1780

Kenneth T. said:
    October 10, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Interesting fax

October 10, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Ain’t it, tho… I love history. 💗

Kenneth T. said:
        October 10, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Sorry for the “fax”… it’s meant to be “facts”. Sadly, I have no way to edit.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    October 10, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Whoa, so you’re telling me that Trump and Kavanaugh aren’t causing the “climate change”! You sound like a trump apologist!!! (Sarcasm) Solid post Victoria. I hope you’re staying warm and dry and safe.

October 10, 2018 at 6:59 pm

In all my research and digging around, I did not find any references to Trump or Kavanaugh in association with terrible hurricanes.

And, considering that THE worst hurricane season was in 1780, I don’t think the present day global warming crowd can comment.

We aren’t slated to get wee-weed on until late tomorrow afternoon. I will be keeping an eye on the river across the street, though.

Thanks, dear. 🤗

Michele Elkins-Hoffman said:
    October 10, 2018 at 6:39 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion, and I am not alone, that this storm was bioengineered. What are your thoughts love?

October 10, 2018 at 7:06 pm

You won’t get any argument for me. I wouldn’t be surprised in the least considering HAARP stations, chemtrailing and military energy weapons. I was just watching the evening news thinking to myself “what a way to try and bankrupt a nation teetering on the brink of collapse” with repeated devastating storms.

Now, the 1780 hurricane season, not so much…

October 10, 2018 at 8:31 pm

And, I follow that up with this:

And, I pose a question to you…do you believe our Earth is sentient?

Michele Elkins-Hoffman said:
        October 12, 2018 at 8:58 am

I believe it to be, yes. Animals and humans, of course. But each and every plant bearing seed God put on this earth is a living and breathing gift. xo

Michele Elkins-Hoffman said:
        October 12, 2018 at 8:59 am

As for the UN? They are deep down despicable, and this horrifies me, but alas, no surprises here.

floatinggold said:
    October 16, 2018 at 10:00 pm

A day in history that does not exist. How interesting. And so was the hurricane info from way back when. Thanks for sharing.

ekurie said:
    October 27, 2018 at 6:06 pm

I had no idea…. thanks for visiting my blog!

October 27, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Been following you since Aug. Sometimes I miss things. The WordPress feed is hinky.