Wayback Wednesday: Apple iTunes & iPhones

Steve Jobs iTunes Photo
Photo Credit: computerweekly.com

January 9 has been a very special day to Apple, Inc. On this day in 2001, Apple announced iTunes at MacWorld San Francisco, an application for Internet radio, music playing, ripping music from CDs and maintaining a library. The software ran on MacOS and Windows and, in 2003, you could download media from the iTunes Store. In 2005, Apple extended functionality for video and podcasts…University lectures in 2007 and, books in 2010. iTunes Radio, free music streaming, came in 2013 followed by Apple Music, paid music streaming, in 2015.

iTunes Logos Image
Image Credit: themusicsite.com

Apple has come under criticism for its digital rights management (DRM) encryption FairPlay. The protection of the music greatly limited what devices could play the files and brought about a movement to remove the restrictions. Steve Jobs penned an open letter to the music industry in February 2007. By April, non-DRM music appeared for download and the entire music catalog was DRM-free in January 2009.

1st Generation iPhone Image
Image Credit: igotoffer.com

On this day in 2007, Apple announced their first smartphone…again, at the MacWorld Conference & Expo in San Francisco. Quote from Steve Jobs:

“This is a day that I have been looking forward to for two and a half years. Today, Apple is going to reinvent the phone.”

From Wikipedia:
Apple created the device during a secretive and unprecedented collaboration with AT&T, formerly Cingular Wireless. The development cost of the collaboration was estimated to have been $150 million over a thirty-month period. Apple rejected the “design by committee” approach that had yielded the Motorola ROKR E1, a largely unsuccessful collaboration with Motorola. Instead, Cingular Wireless gave Apple the liberty to develop the iPhone’s hardware and software in-house. The whole effort was called Project Purple 2 and began in 2005. Six weeks before the iPhone was to be released, the plastic screen was replaced with a glass one, after Jobs was upset that the screen of the prototype he was carrying in his pocket had been scratched by his keys.

With the iPhone X costing $1,000 dollars, Apple rules the world.

14 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Apple iTunes & iPhones

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    January 9, 2019 at 8:34 pm

People wait in line to apply for credit to buy the iPhone, then immediately put their credit card information on it, so they can use the phone they don’t own to “charge it”!

January 9, 2019 at 10:30 pm

Everybody wants their technology…anyway they can get it.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
        January 9, 2019 at 10:36 pm

Like the opioid addicts, they blame the drug they happily ingest themselves!

January 9, 2019 at 10:27 pm

I got the first generation. I was happy because I talked our company into dropping those Blackberries… so I didn’t have to maintain the Blackberry server…I was delighted.

January 9, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Ulterior motive…heh. 😉😎

January 9, 2019 at 10:44 pm

Always! Those Blackberry servers were a bit#$ at times. “Hey Max I got a blackberry make it work.”

January 9, 2019 at 11:26 pm

Cause, you da man. Wit da plan. “Here. Fix it.” 😁

astraldreamer1 said:
    January 10, 2019 at 5:15 am

Apple nicked the idea of the iPod from a Korean company called Creative.

January 10, 2019 at 6:14 pm

I love Apple stuff but can’t afford the new stuff. So I always buy really old generations. Currently phone is 5.

January 10, 2019 at 7:12 pm

The last time I used an Apple product was when I was 17 and programming on an Apple II, back when there was no such thing as a harddrive. I haven’t had an Apple product since. The company reminds me of the snobby crowd in HS & college that signaled to everyone that ‘they were special’ like, ‘Pink Ladies’ or the ‘T-Birds’ on ‘Grease’ or something. They would all surely drown if it came a hard rain. I have music that I can’t play because I couldn’t remember the damn email address I used to download with. Their proprietary software works with nothing and is ass-backwards from everything I have ever used. All that just to flip off IBM… *eyes rolling*

Their PCs, laptops, iPads & iPhones are twice as expensive as everything else. They are definitely in love with themselves. I am not. My phone is a Samsung.

the britchy one said:
        January 10, 2019 at 8:51 pm

I currently have a Crapple Why Phone and I hate it. I have the 6S plus and it’s coming up for 4 years old. I’ll never have another. I only got it because the rest of my family had apple and they talked me into iMessages and FaceTime etc which was a big fat con! I don’t want to get a new phone until I move as I don’t know if I’ll need to switch network for coverage but you can bet your bahoogies I’ll be buying a Samsung.

January 11, 2019 at 12:18 am

“Crapple Why Phone” LMAO! That’s good.

NC’s strongest network is Verizon.

I wish I didn’t even have a stupidphone. I’d love to have my Samsung Alias II back. It was still working until the battery wouldn’t take a charge anymore. I bought a second, used phone and that battery wouldn’t take a charge (coordinated end of life-span?). Now, you can’t find batteries for them (still have both) and everything moved to 4G. I fear for 5G. I have heard NOTHING good.

I got used to my S5, until the operating system started acting up. I upgraded to an S7, kicking and screaming but, so far, so good.