Movie Monday: Kentucky 1939

Kentucky 1938 Image
Image Credit: imdb.com

Eighty years ago, today, the #1 film at the box office was Kentucky, a Romeo & Juliet type film with elements of the Hatfields & McCoys thrown in. Starring Loretta Young, Richard Greene and Walter Brennan, the backdrop of the story is horseracing.

IMDB Summary:

During the Civil War, two of the oldest families in Kentucky, the Dillons and the Goodwins, begin a long and bitter feud that has lasted into 1938. When Jack Dillon refuses to enter his father’s banking business he, under an assumed name, gets a job as a trainer in Sally Goodwin’s stables. A romance develops between them. When Sally’s father dies, the entire estate, including the horses, has to be sold at auction to pay his debts. A note turns up left by Sally’s father that, according to a wager made between him and the elder Dillon, any one horse in the Dillon stable can be claimed by the Goodwins. Complications arise when Sally finds out that Jack is a Dillon.

Trivia Bits:
♦ A number of famous Kentucky-bred champion racehorses are presented including Gallant Fox, Omaha, Hard Tack, Chance Play and Man of War, who is called the greatest racehorse.
♦ Two Kentucky Derby winners, Willie “Smokey” Saunders and Charlie Burrell, were employed for the film.
Don Ameche was originally cast for the male lead but, was replaced by Richard Greene after undergoing a tonsillectomy.
Arleen Whelan was originally scheduled for the female lead.

Award:
Best Supporting Actor (Walter Brennan/1939 Academy Awards)

There’s not really a trailer for this movie but, I did find this:

20 thoughts on “Movie Monday: Kentucky 1939

January 15, 2019 at 12:00 AM

Never saw it… It looks good.

January 27, 2019 at 8:24 PM

It does look interesting.

January 27, 2019 at 9:07 PM

It does…good to see you are back…

January 27, 2019 at 10:53 PM

Thanks. Bad flu bug. Bad, bad, very bad.

January 27, 2019 at 11:13 PM

Sorry to hear that. I was going to email but I didn’t know blog etiquette…hope you are feeling better now.

January 28, 2019 at 1:14 AM

I appreciate the thought. Another blogger sent me an email, checking in.

The only etiquette I am aware of in blogging is respect when commenting. If a blogger doesn’t want emails, they usually don’t have a contact page…something I TOTALLY forgot about doing until recently.

My energy level continues to improve. Thanks, love.❤

January 16, 2019 at 6:46 PM

This looks a proper movie. My mum liked Richard Greene

January 20, 2019 at 1:21 PM

Good sir. I’ve tagged you to write a story or something. I had to do it so I thought I would pass some of the love onto you. I haven’t set the bar the very high in my effort.

Please ignore it you don’t fancy doing it.

January 27, 2019 at 8:44 PM

Apologies. I thought I had told you that I was Victoria.

I appreciate the nomination & the nod but, I’m no story teller. I saw the picture you were writing about and I would have had trouble with that, too.

January 28, 2019 at 2:59 AM

You might well have, my memory is buggered these days. Pleased your back..

January 28, 2019 at 5:20 PM

I think I got carried away with using Sir last few days. Its my age I think. Sorry Victoria. if it’s any consolation your nit the only incorrect Sir I’ve done this week. Sorry again. Garyx

January 28, 2019 at 7:49 PM

Age is getting both of us. No worries, Gary. ❤

January 28, 2019 at 7:21 PM

Thanks, sweetie. ❤

the britchy one said:
    January 21, 2019 at 8:34 PM

Just checking in.. I miss seeing you about and it’s not like you to be gone. I looked for a contact thing and couldn’t find one so I hope you get this 😊

January 27, 2019 at 8:46 PM

I appreciate the email contact. This was a really bad bug. I’m STILL tired but, slowly getting over it.

the britchy one said:
        January 27, 2019 at 8:47 PM

It takes a while, too many people think having a cold is ‘flu’ – real flu knocks you stupid for weeks. Keep looking after yourself 😊

January 27, 2019 at 8:49 PM

That is a good description. But, if I am to be hit that hard, the least it could have done was to knock some sense INTO me…not out. SMDH.

Mani said:
    April 25, 2019 at 1:44 PM

You are bringing out some fantastic old movies here 👍🏼 I’m really a fan of Hollywood old films, but often confuse which one to watch.
    Your suggestions are too good to get a taste of old cinema ! 😋