Fem-fluenza & The Petersons

Flu Bug Image Onw
Image Credit: mariafresa.net

I got waylaid by a nasty flu bug that I am still not quite over, yet. Right around Christmas, my neck became very stiff and I had a hard time turning my head from side to side. I visit a chiropractor regularly and this wasn’t spine-related. Having had an allergic reaction to a hair product over a decade ago, I recognized the feeling of lymph node activation. Not good. After my last post on January 14, I was run over by a fully loaded dump truck and didn’t get the license plate number. Fem-fluenza seemed to be altogether fitting and proper after fellow blogger Britchy battled ‘Manbola’.

My new friend gifted me with exhaustion, a sore throat, a strange colored goo-substance in my sinuses and a headache from hell. I can count on one hand how many times in my 52 years I have had a headache. I’m not prone to them. The closest I get is one (or the other) temple will get sore when I need an adjustment. This? My entire skull hurt. My temperature jumped up and down between 99.8 and 101.6, my ears got really hot (there is a joke in there, somewhere) and my eyes ached. I’m not talking scratchy eyes or itchy eyes, I’m talking total eye-socket pain…and, they were hot, too.

Flu Bug Image Two
Image Credit: wales.nhs.uk

There was a three-day stretch where the fever stayed around 101 and eating was just out of the question. I didn’t even have the strength to lift my head, much less chew. My stomach & lungs stayed busy with whatever alien potion was sliding out of my head (which I continue to hack up). In the middle of this waking nightmare, there was entertainment…1000s of channels to stare at while your brain cooks, your eyes weep, your nose runs and you fade in & out of consciousness.

I happened to be catching a repeat episode of Forensic Files on HLN in a lucid moment and came to a common sense conclusion despite my condition. I’m not fond of the last name Peterson. I will explain further.

The particular episode I am referring to is about Michael Peterson and the murder of his wife Kathleen. He was a novelist, wrote columns in the Durham Herald-Sun and was, supposedly, a Marine Vietnam Veteran. The murder took place in Durham in December 2001 and he was convicted in October 2003. There is still some question as to whether or not he was guilty for another woman’s death but, I’m not going to cover his case here. During the show, it hit me. That last name…

I’m sure everyone remembers the Scott Peterson/Laci Peterson murder case. He was convicted in 2004 and sits on death row at San Quentin awaiting a lethal injection while his case is being appealed to California’s Supreme Court. Then…there’s ex-cop Drew Peterson. He came on the scene when his fourth wife Stacy disappeared without a trace in 2007. That lead to a re-opening of his third wife’s death, Kathleen, in 2003. He was convicted of her murder in 2012 and got added time at Terre Haute Penitentiary for attempting to have the Prosecutor in his case killed. What a charmer he is.

After the episode was over, all I could think was “Don’t marry anyone with the last name Peterson, especially if your name is Kathleen.” Sheesh.

16 thoughts on “Fem-fluenza & The Petersons

David Redpath said:
    January 27, 2019 at 11:01 pm

Hope your feeling better soon, Vic 🌷

January 28, 2019 at 1:03 am

Thanks, David. I am working on it. 🤗❤

the britchy one said:
    January 27, 2019 at 11:44 pm

…. and if you meet a David that’s a Peterson too you best run for your life!
    It sounds like you had sinusitis as well as flu. Sinusitis is awful, it’s bloody hard to get meds for it too thanks to crack heads. I’ve found rubbing the red tiger balm on my temples very soothing. It doesn’t fix the problem but it takes the pain down a notch or two.

January 28, 2019 at 1:25 am

I intend to cut any & all Petersons a wide path. Damn.

I definitely had some colorful, industrial strength snot. And, regarding meds, I used none. Zilch. Not even an aspirin. I am a big advocate of letting my immune system work without interference. The Tiger Balm on the temples sounds good, tho. I will have to remember that.

the britchy one said:
        January 28, 2019 at 8:48 am

I swear by it for sinusitis and although it doesn’t get rid of migraine, it helps me. It’s bloody brilliant when my neck aches too or my back. There’s red, yellow and white tiger balm and the only one worth anything is the red in my opinion. My husband swears by zinc as a cold preventer. I’d take it if I could find gummies. I struggle with pills and won’t take them unless I have to.

January 28, 2019 at 7:37 pm

I have an aunt by marriage that gets migraines. She has described the horror of it. I can’t fathom and I am quite sure my fever headache doesn’t even come close, bad as it was for me. I bow to you & others that have to deal with that. Y’all some tough MFs as far as I am concerned.

I’ve never taken Zinc tabs. I head in the other direction with Paul Stamets’ mushroom complexes…medicinal mushrooms are awesome. I couldn’t tell you the last time I had a cold and my last flu-monster dance was four years ago.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    January 28, 2019 at 8:34 am

Hope you get better soon Victoria.

January 28, 2019 at 7:25 pm

I’m on the back side of this beast. I’m feeling much better but, still have low energy.

Thanks, Coffee. ❤

January 28, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Glad you are feeling better Victoria…
    I did a double take on the dates of the Scott Petterson trial. I cannot believe it was that long ago…

January 28, 2019 at 7:43 pm

Thanks, Max. ❤

Fifteen years, almost…

January 28, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Hard to believe!

January 28, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Heh. Time is-a flying, while we have fun!

floatinggold said: