Shutterbug Saturday: Living History

Living History Day Image One
Brochure

Today was Living History Day. I didn’t make it to the festivities but, my buddy Ray did. The weather was just too damp for me and I was busy with other things. He graciously provided me with copies to post and four short video clips.

This area (a five county span) was a hotbed of struggle during the War of the Regulation, the Battle of Alamance, the Revolutionary War, the Battle of Guilford Court House, the Civil War and was the site of the last & largest Confederate Surrender. We, collectively, have seen a lot.

We also have a lot of actors and reenactments. Some of the uniforms and gear are quite impressive. Hopefully, I will make it next year.

The Captain Image Two
Photo Credit: All Images Are From A. R. Tutterow
Oh, Captain, My Captain
The Drummers Image Three
Young drummers. You can’t march without a beat.
Redcoats Image Four
The line-up.
Redcoats Image Five
Rogue ammunition.
The Women Image Six
Era clothing and food.
Farm Office Image Seven
This building was used as an office by Confederate Generals Wade Hampton & Joseph E. Johnston. It was built in 1850 & moved to this location in 1983. The Visitor’s Center in the background, a former farm-house, wasn’t built until 1790.
The Hessian Image Eight
Hessian Uniform
German Mercenary

Ray had a little trouble keeping his filming steady. Overcast skies can interfere with viewing ability. Apologies.

9 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: Living History

cindy knoke said:
    February 17, 2019 at 12:47 am

I love all of these reenactors. They suspect living in the Revolutionary War would might be more interesting than living now. Even though it was a war, I tend to agree with them.

February 17, 2019 at 4:35 pm

You definitely wouldn’t have to worry about spending too much time with technology. The life span was much shorter, tho…

February 19, 2019 at 9:59 am

I have never seen a reenactment before…I would like to at some point. The uniforms are really cool…
    I would love to wear one to work…just act normal like nothing is different.

February 19, 2019 at 2:21 pm

I’ve never seen a full reenactment, myself. I’ve seen many, many demonstrations. I remember being taken to Alamance Battleground when I was in elementary school. At that age, the history was lost on me. Curiously, my home county was THE tipping point towards the War. It was the last Regulation battle and all hell broke loose after that. Now…why is it that, when I type the word ‘Alamance’ in my phone, it doesn’t recognize it?

The county I live in, now, is where the Regulators were hung.

For God’s sake don’t, I repeat DON’T, wear a Confederate uniform in public. You will make the local news, the national news, Facebook & Twitter will explode, you will be called every name in the book, your family will be threatened and you will most likely be shot.

When Ken was in 5th or 6th grade (middle 50s), he showed up in a Nazi uniform for a history project. He loved military uniforms & history and, at 10 or 11 years old, didn’t have a full grasp of the horror & treachery. OMG. The teachers & admin. LOST IT.

February 19, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Lol… No I wouldn’t wear a Confederate uniform… can you imagine? Imagine if Ken would have done that now…oh geez… I am kinda of shocked that they lost it back then as much. I know the war was fresh but you could get by with more.

I still can’t get over seeing the trucks in our High School parking lot full of rifle racks with rifles… thinking on it now…wow

It’s a totally different world.

I live near Franklin TN and they do have some reenactments there…I need to go.

February 19, 2019 at 2:52 pm

They were hysterical back then, too. War weary (WWII & Korea) fear of Communism, fear of nuclear war (all those underground bunkers), McCarthyism, the Hollywood Ten… They had a huge case of the screaming mimies.

I remember the trucks & the rifles. I had a math & computer teacher that drove a pickup with a rifle in it. She, many years later, went on to be principal. In comparison, we are definitely in a police state, now.

In April, there will probably be something going on at Bennett Place in Durham.

February 19, 2019 at 4:04 pm

McCarthyism… if you were a free thinker…you could be in trouble with the wrong words. I always think of Will Geer and some other actors that were blacklisted.
            I remember a smoking lounge at High School… kids bringing knives…but I never remember one person stabbed or shot…of course people were different then.

February 19, 2019 at 5:22 pm

“…you could be in trouble with the wrong words.” Sounds like today.

We had a smoking section out back. Nearly every guy carried a knife. Some showed up with guitars. They’d entertain & smoke. There were some fist fights. I remember one stabbing in the basement my junior year but, it was minor. The worst fights were over a girl. Heh.

February 19, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Isn’t that the truth in this PC world…I never compared it but you are right.

The best fights was the Girls…they didn’t hold back.
                I know two guys that wanted one girl. They calmly got into a car….went off of school grounds and fought. They both then got back in the car and were buddies the next day…