Wayback Wednesday: Lecherous Little Elf

Blazing Saddles Image One
Photo Credit: hollywoodreporter.com

Two days, ago, I posted my routine Movie Monday piece. For the date I chose, I highlighted Blazing Saddles, a #1 movie at that time and, when calculated in 1974, was the highest grossing movie of that year. The movie is laugh-out-loud funny and an absolute scream. That being said, in my comment section, it was dutifully pointed out that, in this day and age, the movie would never get made. I was provided with a link to a UK article from September 22, 2017. Here is the headline:

Our PC world is the death of comedy, says Mel Brooks: Veteran comedian claims society is ‘stupidly politically correct’ and that many of his films could not be made today

Quotes from the article:

‘We have become stupidly politically correct, which is the death of comedy,’ Brooks said.

‘It’s not good for comedy. Comedy has to walk a thin line, take risks.’

‘Comedy is the lecherous little elf whispering in the king’s ear, always telling the truth about human behaviour.’

He basically said the very same thing back in 2016.

This afternoon, while searching for a music video, I stumbled across The Dave Cullen Show. On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 he posted this:

On his other channel, he posted this back on September 15, 2015, which adds more films to the list:

Quote:

“If you take this film seriously, you missed the point.”

And, if you take my post seriously, you’re missing the point. ~Vic

14 thoughts on “Wayback Wednesday: Lecherous Little Elf

the britchy one said:
    March 6, 2019 at 8:59 PM

So much butt hurt in the world.
    So little common sense

March 6, 2019 at 9:09 PM

Can I like this post more than once? That second video is just great.

March 6, 2019 at 9:39 PM

Oh, you should hear him tear apart Doctor Who, Star Trek & Star Wars…the NEW stuff. And, I thought it was just me.

I am pleased you enjoyed. You could always snatch the video for yourself and write your own post. Or, any of his others. He speaks truth & common sense. I’m surprised he is allowed to by the YouTube Overlords.

March 6, 2019 at 9:44 PM

My son and I just watched it and we both agree with the guy…I will look him up and hear his views on Doctor Who and Star Wars .
        I found this yesterday after we had talked about it the other day.

March 7, 2019 at 12:50 AM

It’s not looking good. But, as Dave pointed out, the BBC is taxpayer supported. The show can stay on, to whomever is still watching, and the non-lookers will pay for it. How’d you like to be an actor in Hellyweird with a guaranteed income by taxpayers even if you couldn’t act your way out of a paper bag? Or, couldn’t write worth a shit?

March 7, 2019 at 9:13 AM

That is crazy. I know many are sending complaints but they don’t care. The whole crusade is just crazy…you can’t offend anyone except the ones they say is ok.

March 7, 2019 at 3:16 PM

In larger terms, I’ve lost most of my desire to watch anything. Tell me a funny story. Don’t tell me how to think.

March 7, 2019 at 3:19 PM

I’ve lost my interest in seeing anything new…I don’t want to be preached at.
                I don’t watch the news. I want someone reading me the news off a piece of paper…that is it. No slants no anything. Just read and no opinion.

hanspostcard said:
    March 6, 2019 at 10:15 PM

I have no idea how many times I’ve watched that movie- it gets my vote for funniest movie ever!

nostaligicitalian said:
    March 7, 2019 at 12:01 AM

I will have to check out these other videos. Thanks for sharing!

March 7, 2019 at 12:57 AM

Welcome! I aims to entertain. 😁😎

March 10, 2019 at 11:33 PM

Love the second video. It’s not just me then….

March 10, 2019 at 11:55 PM

Dave minces no words. And, I have to laugh.

It ain’t just you, love…