POTD: Headstones

Companion photo to my post on April 17. ~Vic

Headstone Wall Image
They don’t know where the graves are for these headstones and many records have been lost.
07-16-2018

16 thoughts on “POTD: Headstones

April 20, 2019 at 12:35 AM

Where is this at?

April 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM

Margaret Lane Slave Cemetery, block from my house. The tree & sunshine I posted, previously…same place. Whole bunch of graves but, headstones destroyed 100, 150 years ago. Without ground-penetrating radar/sonar (whatever), no one knows where the graves are or who is buried there. Spotty records…

April 20, 2019 at 6:57 PM

That is sad but at least they all remembered now more than they would have been

April 21, 2019 at 12:34 AM

It’s listed as an historic site. The town took over upkeep. I think there was a dedication in 1985 when an old descendant attended. It was started before the Civil War and I don’t know how long it was used. Years of vandalism, then neglect…information attrition.

April 21, 2019 at 12:36 AM

Vandalism is just crazy at a cemetery. That is a good thing they did.

April 21, 2019 at 12:52 AM

I don’t understand vandalism especially in a cemetery. I’m not opposed to pissing on some bastard’s grave but, messing up headstones is too much. There is one person, in particular, I would consider peeing on. He isn’t dead, yet but, he made my life miserable for quite a while. Former co-worker & temporary boss… And, let me tell you…I will be standing in a LONG line…and, behind Ken, too.

April 21, 2019 at 1:08 AM

I love how our conversations flow! Everyone else would hit the like and not replied to me lol.

Yes I agree vandalism in a cemetery… you deserve bad things to happen to you after that.

Yea I’m sure he deserves it…as strong as you and other people feel. That is not vandalism…that is justice.

April 21, 2019 at 1:23 AM

There is something about how our conversations weave that sparks my memories.

Sometimes, I am at a loss for words but, not often. I can babble about nearly anything.

Plus, our convos are fun…even at…1:30 in the morning…;)

April 21, 2019 at 1:25 AM

Yes they are! Well you are the one person would will reply and not ignore for going off topic. I am Mr. Offtopic.
                    I do think it is our IT vibe in play.

April 21, 2019 at 3:13 PM

My brain wanders. Off topic is easy. IT geeks are a unique group…our own language.

You & Steve geek out on baseball. I’ve read some if the comments and I’m totally lost.

April 21, 2019 at 5:36 PM

The two B’s were big in my childhood. Beatles and Baseball…. those were my two big interests.

April 21, 2019 at 11:44 PM

April 20, 2019 at 8:51 AM

That’s kinda sad but I suppose more people will get to read about them than if they had a grave.

April 20, 2019 at 11:20 PM

The entire lot is full of graves. Without records or gravestones, the dead are unknown. The headstones that are in the brick belong to graves on the lot. It’s just that no one knows where each specific grave is.

April 20, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Interesting and nicely done.