POTD: Hurricane Supplies

Hurricane Matthew in 2016 made four landfalls, hitting Haiti, Cuba, The Bahamas and, then, finally, the area of McClellanville, SC. It dumped a lot of rain on us and our river across the street flooded quite a bit.

As with any storm, supplies are always needed as no one really knows how bad BAD can get. Growing up, it was usually the snow & ice storms that would send folks to the stores for the “bread & milk” run. These days, any storm brings on the shelf-wiping. Standing in line at one of my local Food Lions, I couldn’t help myself. I had to snap this shot. There were people walking by, stopping, looking, shaking their heads and walking away. I started to giggle. This was the caption that popped into my head…

Forget the milk. For God’s SAKE, get the DR PEPPER!

Food Lion Image
I’m a pepper, you’re a pepper, he’s a pepper…
10-04-2016

24 thoughts on “POTD: Hurricane Supplies

Silk Cords said:
    September 8, 2019 at 12:15 AM

Don’t rule out the possibility that they simply intend to engage in some good old fashioned profiteering and sell that Dr Pepper for it’s weight in gold after the storm and before new supplies are delivered.

September 8, 2019 at 1:36 AM

That hadn’t occurred to me. It’s definitely possible but, my next question would be, why not water instead of one brand of soft drink? Dr. Pepper seems more personal than entrepreneurial…but…that’s just me.
      Thanks. I didn’t think of that.

Kenneth T. said:
        September 8, 2019 at 6:18 AM

Bbbut… isn’t Dr Pepper just mostly water (already) with some added flavorings? 😉

September 8, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Carbonated water, yeah…I THINK. 🤔 Honestly I’ve never read the ingredients list. I know it smells & tastes nasty…☹😖🤢🤮

September 8, 2019 at 5:21 AM

It could be that Dr Pepper is a grand fire lighter or excellent antiseptic. Can’t think what else you would need it for.

September 8, 2019 at 2:08 PM

😆 I SO agree! That drink is nasty. I wonder if it can clean corrosion off of battery cables like Coke can? 🤔

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    September 8, 2019 at 10:52 AM

They should rename it Dr. Prepper

September 8, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Heh. Good one! Prepping with Dr. Prepper…sounds like a show on HGTV or DIY. A million and one uses for Dr. Pepper because it’s too nasty to actually drink. 😆

September 8, 2019 at 11:33 AM

He or she may just love Dr Pepper…I mean really love it…I would break out in song “Be a Pepper” but I won’t…

September 8, 2019 at 2:25 PM

SOMEBODY loves it. Or, as Silk Cords, above, pointed out, it could be a straight-up business investment…you, know, help folks get their *fix* for a small fee. A man gotta think ahead. We can’t have no drive-bys in a hurricane situation when the stock gets too low. People be jonesin’ and s***…😵🤪😆

Please. No singing. It got stuck in my head when I took the shot aaaannnnd, again, when I posted it. I’m having flashes of David Naughton right now…😳

September 8, 2019 at 2:26 PM

That is who I was thinking of…him singing Be A Pepper and An American Werewolf in London.

September 8, 2019 at 11:35 AM

HHAHHHA! I laughed until I read Silk Cords comment. Then I thought…OH!

Kenneth T. said:
    September 8, 2019 at 8:13 PM

Here’s another thought, (and yes i’m biased because *I like* Dr. Pepper)…
    The soda (aka pop) just might have been cheaper than bottled water, as that stuff can get pretty expensive.

September 9, 2019 at 12:12 AM

Some bottled water is expensive, no doubt. But, three six packs of Dr. Pepper (18 half-liter bottles) is, roughly, $11 before local sales tax. I can get a case of 35 half-liter bottles of water from Costco for around $3. But, then again, I have to pay for a membership, whereas, there is no such thing with regular grocery stores. Not that I have checked but, I’d be willing to bet a case of Food Lion water would be cheaper than Dr. Pepper, in comparative quantities.

Most likely, this was a personal hurricane stash! LOL!

Kenneth T. said:
        September 9, 2019 at 12:53 PM

I’m sure it was a personal stash, but it may have also been on sale.

September 9, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Food Lion does run sales to clear stock. They routinely drop prices to clear 2 liter bottles of Canada Dry. They do NOT drop prices for half-liter six packs of Canada Dry. They don’t drop prices for merchandise that moves on its own. If the Dr. Pepper was on sale, it wasn’t moving fast enough. LOL! Hurricane sale? Take advantage while you can, I say! LOL!

floatinggold said:
    September 8, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Maybe they were just having a party?

hawkfeatherstories said:
    September 9, 2019 at 1:14 PM

Hilarious!

September 9, 2019 at 3:47 PM

I thought so. The photo itself is amusing. You should have seen the folks shaking their heads. I’m pretty sure a similar shot wound up on FB, somewhere.

Liked by 2 people