A Toothache Can Kill You

Unsplash Shark Teeth
Photo Credit: Karim Manjra on Unsplash

Yes. I’m still alive. I wasn’t sure I would be after battling septicemia. That is not something to be trifled with. I had an abscessed tooth rupture on me the night of December 14/15. The details of my desperate attempt to get it pulled is boring but, suffice to say that, with a 103 fever and delirium, I did manage to post here, scribble some instructions for a friend and write out a will. The pain was unimaginable and the dead bacteria my body shed while I was recovering was disgusting. I never could get pain medication and I had a bad reaction to an antibiotic. I have no kind words for the dental industry. It’s taken me six weeks to get my energy levels back to normal. It wasn’t until after my ordeal that I did some reading on toothaches. They can, indeed, kill you. I was scared and I got lucky.

Thank you for all the kind words.

33 thoughts on “A Toothache Can Kill You

February 2, 2020 at 1:36 AM

Happy you are back Vic and in one piece.

hanspostcard said:
    February 2, 2020 at 3:51 AM

Hope you continue on your road to recovery.

February 2, 2020 at 2:26 PM

So far, so good. I was having energy problems a month prior. I suspect that tooth made me sick far longer than I realized. I’m MUCH better, now. 😀

Thanks, sweetie.

hanspostcard said:
        February 2, 2020 at 3:08 PM

Glad you are feeling better- and was glad to see your post the other day. Take care of yourself!

February 2, 2020 at 3:30 PM

I intend to. Thanks, Ron.

February 2, 2020 at 4:21 AM

Good to have you back from that nightmare

February 2, 2020 at 2:26 PM

It’s good to be back, Gary. And, it was, indeed, a nightmare.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    February 2, 2020 at 8:37 AM

Oh my goodness, Vic! I am so sorry to hear what you’ve been through, AND very happy to see you back. My husband went through something similar, he got an infection in his colon, enough to cause it to perforate, dumping the bacteria into his blood stream. After two days of him not feeling well/getting worse (we thought he had the flu), I took him to the hospital 2001 Christmas Day morning with 103 fever & in severe abdominal pain. I almost lost him from the poisoning, it took two weeks in the hospital to save him. It was a scary time, so I know what you went through was very scary as well. My husband’s outlook on life changed after that, for the better, to start enjoying it more and be thankful for what we have. We also went out and bought a boat. lol Still have that 23′ bowrider! 🙂
    Continue to take care of yourself, Vic! Hugs & prayers!

February 2, 2020 at 2:50 PM

Good LORD! Now, THAT sounds much worse than what I went thru. I didn’t go to the hospital. I had already been in the ER nearly a year ago (or more) for my gallbladder and, back last summer, had another trip over my heart rhythm. What were they going to do? Tell me that I needed to have it pulled? Um, yeah. I know. I’ve been TRYING to do that. I didn’t need another ER bill to struggle to pay. I don’t have any insurance.

It was not my intent to just let it rupture. I was trying to get it pulled and the dental industry wouldn’t cooperate. Way back in 1993, I had my lower left wisdom tooth go bad…same side as the tooth I just lost. My dad took me to the ER. They gave me a shot of morphine and a referral to a local oral surgeon (hometown). The next day, that tooth was pulled. No one told me “you can’t be touched until the infection is under control”. Nobody handed me an antibiotic back then. It was “pull the tooth, use a teabag if it bleeds too much and swish with salt water. See ya’ later!”

I went to three dentists before the third one finally helped…and, even then, he wanted to “consult” before he pulled (by that time, it had already ruptured). The medical/dental industry is a racket. And, good LUCK finding a dentist, these days, that will work on a Friday! That’s what happened…I reacted to an antibiotic, let the second dentist know and never heard back from him. I was on the phone most of Friday (Dec. 13) looking for a dentist. I ran out of time.

I am so glad your husband survived that. OMG. I can’t even imagine… I hope he fully recovered with no lasting after effects. Kudos on the boat! How wonderful! <3

bayphotosbydonna said:
        February 2, 2020 at 4:17 PM

Mouth pain is absolutely awful for my little minor stuff so I feel real bad for you. Hubby has done fine since his ordeal, thankfully. Yes, who has dental insurance??!! We don’t either, dental fees are so high too. You’re right, back in the day, things were a lot easier and we did fine.

February 3, 2020 at 1:21 PM

The only places I ever worked that provided dental were my four government jobs. My first, back in the early to middle 90s…we had 20 different health insurance companies to choose from. Then, the HMOs took over and it all went to s***.

Everyone thought Obamacare was going to be the ‘end all, be all’ of insuring the entire country. There was better coverage & more choices 30, 35 years ago…and, the prices were better…and lower.

I am pleased your hubby had no lasting effects from that awful turn. Did they ever find out what caused the initial infection?

bayphotosbydonna said:
            February 3, 2020 at 3:23 PM

Yea, I agree on Obamacare, it was better years ago.

Diverticulitus, which we didn’t know he had, until the rupture. They removed 10 inches of his colon later, both the damaged area and a few others that were there. No idea how one got infected except that he ate a shitload of peanuts the whole week prior. But they’ve since said peanuts, seeds, etc. don’t cause polyps to rupture. I think the peanuts did to him. Like I said he ate a ton! Someone gave us a can of premium peanuts, he was all over them. He’s been fine since the surgery. Thank goodness. He watches seeds and nuts now too.

February 3, 2020 at 4:04 PM

Goodness. I’ve heard that diverticulitis is awful. I’ve had my own digestive issues. Streamlining a diet helps a lot. What I ate at 20, I can’t eat at 53. LOL!

Mandy said:
    February 2, 2020 at 9:02 AM

So glad you are alive and better.

February 2, 2020 at 2:50 PM

Thanks, Mandy. <3

hawkfeatherstories said:
    February 2, 2020 at 9:03 AM

Glad you are feeling better. It’s true, I knew someone who had a debilitating stroke from an infected tooth. Nothing to mess with.
    Cheers,
    Carolyn

February 2, 2020 at 2:52 PM

Wow. Yeah. I’m glad that didn’t happen, though my head felt like one big stroke. I eventually passed out and woke up 18 hours later. On life experiences, I don’t want to repeat that one.

Thanks, Carolyn.

Gary K said:
    February 2, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Very glad you are better and obviously getting back on track. I have few friends left, so STAY ALIVE!! I was wandering down the weird paths of the net recently and found some interesting items. if they pan out i’ll give you a detailed rundown. regardless, VERY HAPPY you are better. Take Care.

February 2, 2020 at 2:54 PM

Hey, hey, hey…Kilo! Thanks for stopping by! I’m glad I’m better, too.That was NOT fun. Not even close.

Hit me up on email, dude.

February 2, 2020 at 11:25 AM

Scary. I’ve been battling a toothache caused by a spider bite on my lip. I’ve been to the dentist who put in a new filling and told me things would calm down after a while. That was weeks ago. Emergency rooms don’t help either…its a dental issue, not a medical issue. So here I am relying on CBD oil to keep the pain from making life too miserable and waiting for the tissue to die…as tissue does from spider bites. Miserable.
    I am so glad you made it…I’ve been very concerned for you.

February 2, 2020 at 2:57 PM

I remember when that happened. It was just before I stopped blogging. I can’t even imagine.

I’m trying to wrap my head around how a spider bite on the lip can migrate to a tooth…of all things. Did it affect your lip as well as the tooth? Is it an infected nerve?

OMG, Linda. I am so sorry. I hope you recover soon. *hugs*

JT Twissel said:
    February 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM

I’m so sorry. Sounds horrifying.

February 2, 2020 at 3:00 PM

Thanks, Jan. It certainly scared the s*** out of me.

nostaligicitalian said:
    February 3, 2020 at 1:03 AM

WOAH! Glad you are ok, Vic! Welcome back!

February 3, 2020 at 3:22 AM

Thank you, dear. Glad to be better!

MichaelStephenWills said:
    February 3, 2020 at 8:02 AM

A harrowing experience and I appreciate your posting so we can learn from it and avoid the same. “Get Well Soon”

February 3, 2020 at 1:25 PM

I am good, Michael. Thank you. It was a rough run for a while.