Scoop Saturday: Nassau County Police Save Injured Hawk From Truck Bumper

Injured Hawk Patch Image One
Photo Credit: Patch Website

I picked this up from UPI. Poor baby. I’m so glad they rescued him. ~ Vic

“The bird was trapped in the bumper and injured. The officers rescued it and gave it to wildlife rehabilitation experts.”

Two off-duty Nassau County police officers saved a hawk that was trapped in the front bumper of a truck in Freeport early Wednesday morning. According to police, Marine Bureau officers Schwaner and Leek were on their way to work, together, around 6:20am, when they drove by a black Dodge Ram pickup truck, parked near the intersection of Merrick Road and Buffalo Avenue, that had a bird in its front bumper. The officers stopped to investigate and found that the bird was a red-tailed hawk and, that it was still alive.

The officers were able to remove the bird from the bumper and brought it to the Nassau County Police Marine Bureau base in Bay Park where they contacted the Volunteers for Wildlife in Locust Valley. The volunteers came and took the bird from the police back to their facility where it is being treated for its injuries.

Alex Costello
Patch Website
June 17, 2020
Nassau County PD Tweets

36 thoughts on “Scoop Saturday: Nassau County Police Save Injured Hawk From Truck Bumper

cindy knoke said:
    June 21, 2020 at 1:40 AM

So important. Thank you.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    June 21, 2020 at 1:43 AM

I’m glad they saved the little guy…I hope it’s able to fly again.

June 21, 2020 at 5:06 AM

So hope it flies again. They are stunning creatures.

charliecountryboy said:
    June 21, 2020 at 5:52 AM

A great thing to do and a much happier ending than Kes! 😉

June 21, 2020 at 3:05 PM

Kes?

charliecountryboy said:
        June 21, 2020 at 7:11 PM

1970s film, gritty, northern, tragic, about a schoolboy who trains a Falcon 😀

June 21, 2020 at 3:24 PM

Ah. Ok. Kes is short for Kestrel, I assume. I will have to look it up.

This makes me wonder if I should branch out & do Brit and/or Aussie movies & TV. 🤔🤨

Thanks for the info.

charliecountryboy said:
            June 21, 2020 at 3:51 PM

That’s a great idea, Kes was iconic it was a Ken Loach film and the Aussie films of the 80s were fab 😀

June 22, 2020 at 1:04 AM

I was just reading about it. Apparently, it was dubbed because BBC thought Americans couldn’t understand a Yorkshire accent in the American market. There are some complaints about that in a review. A scene was removed, too, for some reason:

charliecountryboy said:
                June 22, 2020 at 3:49 AM

How very strange, I never considered the Yorkshire accent so hard to understand, now if was Glaswegian, well I’d get that 😂

June 22, 2020 at 2:01 PM

BBC thinks everyone is stupid…except them.

Glaswegian?

charliecountryboy said:
                    June 22, 2020 at 3:27 PM

Ah, but they can take the micky out of themselves as W1A proved 😂Someone from Glasgow, Scotland 😂

June 23, 2020 at 2:45 AM

I had to look up W1A. Interesting. I wasn’t as successful with ‘micky’. I know what a ‘micky’ is over here…

A Scottish brogue…yeah. LOL! Those folks get subtitles over here. LOL! I always remember the Scottish chicken in Chicken Run. Mel Gibson is the voice of the Rooster and, every time she speaks, he is totally bewildered. “She’s not using real words.” LOL!

charliecountryboy said:
                      June 23, 2020 at 3:30 AM

Yes, the Department for Better I think it was 😂. Taking the micky or taking the piss is making fun of someone/something, I wonder where it originated. 😀😀

June 23, 2020 at 3:43 AM

I’ve heard of “ripping the piss.” Same thing?

Micky or mickey, here, is slipping something into someone’s alcoholic drink.

charliecountryboy said:
                      June 23, 2020 at 4:24 AM

“Are you taking the micky out of me?” Yup same thing 😂 I think we use that as well but a “mickey finn “ springs to mind? 😉

June 23, 2020 at 6:52 PM

Wow. LOL! Same language but, all in the interpretation.

Somewhere along the way, we dropped the “Finn” part. You hear “he slipped him a mickey” in old gangster films a lot.

charliecountryboy said:
                      June 24, 2020 at 3:24 AM

The sort of thing Humphrey Bogart might do 😂

June 24, 2020 at 1:29 PM

Exactly! 😄

June 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM

O! Poor Bird! I’m so glad they saved it and hopefully he/she will be hunting and flying again.

Silk Cords said:
    June 21, 2020 at 3:22 PM

Wonderful story. I *really* have to wonder about the truck owner though… Did they hit it driving and were just too clueless or self absorbed to care? I suppose it’s possible the hawk crawled up in there on it’s own, but that’s FAR from their nature.

June 21, 2020 at 3:49 PM

I dug around with other sites that picked it up. All that was said was, he had no idea. The truck was parked when the two officers saw the hawk. They met the guy coming back to his truck.

It’s a possibility that he had one of those super duty 2500 Rams. If it had a trim package with air dams (the photo looks like the hawk got caught in the bottom scoop) and he was out in the country, a hawk could have flown low, chasing prey and got stuck. Was the guy driving in the dark? Got up early, went out…not knowing he swiped a hawk? One wing was pinned which tells me it was in flight. Hawks aren’t carrion eaters so, unlikely it was standing in the road.

He also could have been texting and driving but, if in daylight, you can’t miss a raptor that size. Then there is impact…air dams flex. There may not have been a *thump*. There’s angle of flight, wind speed, truck speed…too many variations to calculate.

Did he actually know? Not enough data.

Silk Cords said:
        June 21, 2020 at 5:11 PM

Agreed on not enough data, which I should have made clearer in my reply. Enough to make me suspicious though… at least that he SHOULD have known.

June 22, 2020 at 1:17 AM

Well, yeah, I agree with you (sorry to be so wordy). Went off on a tangent and fell down a rabbit hole. It happens…to me, frequently.

The sad part about it is, even if the cops suspected negligence, it would be nearly impossible to prove. It would also be hard to fathom (in my mind, anyway) someone driving around with a live animal stuck in a bumper and not care.

Silk Cords said:
            June 22, 2020 at 2:09 AM

It would be hard to fathom, but there are some mighty sick people out there. Hence my wondering.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    June 21, 2020 at 9:02 PM

I saw this story on the news and when I heard it was in NC, I thought of you! Poor hawk, I hope he is okay now.

SaaniaSparkle 🧚🏻‍♀️ said: