POTD: Tandy 5000

This is clearly a newspaper clipping from back in the day. I can’t for the life of me remember where I picked this up but, I have had it for years. My, we have come a long way. ~Vic

Tandy 5000 Image
Image dated: 09-18-2001

15 thoughts on “POTD: Tandy 5000

Silk Cords said:
    June 28, 2020 at 12:40 AM

And the scary thing is that’s 1989 money! O_O

I remember all the TSR-80 ads in comic books too, lol. Radio Crap pushed their PCs hard that way.

Reminds me also of my first IT teacher back in 1983. MS DOS was by that start-up that would never be taken seriously and (ironically seemingly quoting Bill Gates) we’d never have or need anything as big as a full Meg, LOL. If only I could take my current desktop back in time…

June 28, 2020 at 1:04 AM

I know! That is a mind-blowing amount of money considering the time and type of computer. RS was proud of their shit.

Wasn’t it something along the lines of not needing more than 256K? I remember that remark…or one like it.

Your new toy is, what, 2TB HD or a SS?

Silk Cords said:
        June 28, 2020 at 1:23 AM

2TB PNY XLR8 SSD with insanely fast access time and read/write rates. LOL

June 28, 2020 at 1:35 AM

Wish I had the money for such.

Silk Cords said:
            June 28, 2020 at 1:44 AM

Expensive at $250ish, BUT not like that Trash 5000, LOL.

It was a reach for me also, but I looked at it as a long term investment. PNY products have great performance and typically last for ages.

June 28, 2020 at 10:12 AM

My goodness! And Look At That Price!

charliecountryboy said:
    June 28, 2020 at 1:05 PM

Haha, look at the size of it! There again I guess 30 years in technology is a long time. But 1989 doesn’t seem that long ago 😏

June 28, 2020 at 3:09 PM

No. It doesn’t but, for perspective’s sake, all the kids born in 1990, after this came out, are all 30, now. I’d love to see 30, again. How ’bout you?

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    June 30, 2020 at 4:59 PM

Lightning Fast 20 MHz!
    DAMN that is a lot of money for that year…it’s a lot now but wow. That was a car.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    July 7, 2020 at 8:11 PM

Hilarious and scary at the same time!