Sturgeon Moon 2020

Sturgeon Moon Image One
Image Credit: Moon Giant

August’s full moon is called the Full Sturgeon Moon, after the primitive fish that used to be abundant in North America’s lakes and rivers during the summer months. Having remained mostly unchanged since the earliest fossil records, sturgeons are ancient living fossils that can grow up [to] 3.5 meters long, or as long as two adult humans stacked on top of each other. Nowadays, however, it’s almost impossible to see a sturgeon during the Full Sturgeon Moon. While they used to thrive, sturgeons are now considered […] critically endangered […]. Though sturgeons are extremely long-lived, the females can live up to be 150 years old, sturgeons might not be around for much longer. They might have survived the dinosaurs but, they might not be able to survive human beings and our hunger for luxurious delicacies like caviar.

Sturgeon Moon Image Two
Image Credit: Farmers’ Almanac 1818

In North America, Native American tribes also saw the Full Sturgeon Moon as signifying a time of bountiful harvest. The Cherokee tribes called it the Full [End of the] Fruit Moon [or Drying Up Moon] and many other First Nation tribes referred to it as the [Blackberry] Moon [or Blackberry Patches Moon]. The Sioux called it the Moon When [The Geese Shed Their Feathers or Cherries Turn Black]. The Paint Clans, which were known for their medicinal prowess, would harvest herbs and medicines, while the Wild Potato tribes would forage for food. Naturally, they would also catch a lot of sturgeon.

Moon Giant Website

I got squat for a Moon shot. We’ve got Isaias spinning around here. I also don’t have any previous years shots but, I did a post two years ago. So, I’ve trotted over to Unsplash. Another name given to the Sturgeon Moon is Red Moon. Full illumination occurred at 11:59am EDT. Howl for me! ~Vic

Red Moon Image Two
Photo Credit: Altınay Dinç on Unsplash

Other Names:
Ricing Moon & Flying Moon (Ojibwe)
Corn Moon (Stockbridge-Munsee & Oneida)
Hot Moon (Tunica-Biloxi)

Native American Moon Names (American Indian Alaska Native Tourism)
Indian Moons (American Indian Site)
Native American Moons (Western Washington University)

27 thoughts on “Sturgeon Moon 2020

quarteracrehome said:
    August 3, 2020 at 8:20 PM

Whoops, you left a nice comment on my blog post and I had to edit the posts tags to appear properly and the comment was lost in the process. Thank you for it, though!

August 4, 2020 at 2:30 AM

No worries. WP can be hinky. I can re-comment. 😄😎

Silk Cords said:
    August 4, 2020 at 12:23 AM

So that’s why it smells like fish outside… 😀

Good background info as always on these moon posts. 🙂

August 4, 2020 at 2:37 AM

Heh. Yeah. Fish, frogs, lost seagulls (always blown off course), crabs, sometimes gators… Welcome to the “almost” East Coast, there, newbie Tennessean. A hurricane can hit you, too. In 1989, Hugo tore a path thru SC, Charlotte, crossed the Appalachians and fucked up some stuff your way.

Thanks. I have a touch of NA blood and I’m a Full Moon lunar Piscean.

Silk Cords said:
        August 4, 2020 at 3:38 AM

The newbie Tennessean has been here before, chasing fireflies in the grandparents’ yard as a kid. Also lived 13 years in Georgia after I broke off contact with my parents the first time. I’m as much Southern as not. 😀

I ain’t dun too worried about Hugo neither. It’s rained so much here, I’m already building an ark, LOLOL.

August 4, 2020 at 3:49 AM

I’ve chased the “lightnin’ bugs” in my GP’s yard, too. LOL!

I remember your Georgia references. Georgia has had its share of Mother Nature’s fury. I brought up TN because many don’t think it can be affected like the coastal states.

Hm. Yeah. The cutting off contact with parents sounds familiar (for me)…30+ years for the mother and nearly four years for the father.

We’re catching it, now. I’ve seen MUCH worse.

Silk Cords said:
            August 4, 2020 at 3:53 AM

I was in GA from early 1993 to late 2005, so I saw alot of stuff come through. Just about everything never amounted to much more than heavy rain and light flooding outside of Atlanta, but I remember the coast getting tore up a few times. Between that and the spiritual activity, I’d never live in Savannah.

August 4, 2020 at 3:59 AM

I’ve heard about Savannah…and I remember some the things you’ve told me. You sent me a link to a picture, once, but, I never tried. Not going there…

Silk Cords said:
                August 4, 2020 at 8:02 AM

That was “holy ground” *snerk* outside of Conyers. Yeah right… Felt like Shang Tsung’s island in Mortal Kombat; half way to hell.

August 4, 2020 at 10:57 AM

I would love to take photos like the ones you posted. Very cool. I hope you are safe through this crazy weather you are experiencing.

August 4, 2020 at 3:00 PM

Yeah. *sigh* Me, too.

Isaias was extremely tame in comparison to other ‘canes that have rolled thru here. I’ve seen local thunderstorms worse than what we got. We got lots of needed rain and our river is up but, Matthew in 2016 was worse than this. We had tree damage during that one.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    August 5, 2020 at 7:50 AM

I saw tornadoes spawned in NC, glad you’re okay! We had tornadoes in Maryland and Delaware as well. Daughter was working on her 12 hr shift at the hospital when one hit nearby in Dover DE, the entire area lost power all day, the hospital ran on generators for eight hours.

August 6, 2020 at 1:32 AM

I heard about those, too. They were way east of here. We got very little wind. I’ve seen worse regular thunderstorms. Matthew in 2016 was worse, relatively speaking. I lived thru Fran in 1996. I was living in west Durham at the time and that place looked like a war zone. It nearly took the roof off of the house I was living in.

Good Lord. I would have thought the storm would have lessened going farther north.

JT Twissel said:
    August 5, 2020 at 5:03 PM

Beautiful pictures – it’s too foggy here to see the moon.

August 6, 2020 at 1:39 AM

They are nice. I think the first one & third one are digital art, honestly.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    August 7, 2020 at 10:06 AM

I noticed that a lot of people were talking about Sturgeon Moon when you did this. Yet another name to add to the long list!
    Sturgeons are cool…that is a long life span…like some turtles.

August 7, 2020 at 1:11 PM

And, they are just as endangered. I had to trim up the post a bit. Moon Giant used to do cool write-ups on NAs. Now, they go into hysterical diatribes. They are starting to sound like screaming global warming nuts or SJWs on crack.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        August 7, 2020 at 1:15 PM

SJWs on crack LOL… I wish they would all smoke some pot…maybe that would help them.

August 7, 2020 at 2:25 PM

I agree…and, get laid while you are at it. They do act like they are sexually frustrated. That, in and of itself, may be a true issue there. How many young people today are victims of molestation?