FFTD: Purple Dead Nettle

Also called Red Dead Nettle and Purple Archangel. It’s an edible herb. ~Vic

Purple Dead Nettle Image
Lamium Purpureum
03-23-2019
Click for a larger view.

Flower for the Day

14 thoughts on “FFTD: Purple Dead Nettle

August 20, 2020 at 11:07 AM

That is a most unusual plant. We don’t have it here, so that was neat to see.

August 20, 2020 at 2:20 PM

Here is the weird part… Assuming it is correct, Wikipedia (with citations) states it is native to Europe & Asia and, is a common weed in the western US, Canada, Ireland and the UK. Sounds like it was brought here in the 1500s or, at least when the Europeans showed up.

And, here I sit on the East Coast and the buggers are everywhere in the spring.

Check this out:

August 20, 2020 at 4:18 PM

Thank you. Very interesting I haven’t seen it, but that doesn’t mean anything. If it isn’t on the farm…..:)

August 20, 2020 at 6:21 PM

Hey. If you want some, you could get some seeds and plant some for the beezes. I’d send you some but, they were gone after Spring. I might plant some in my yard.

August 20, 2020 at 6:28 PM

Thank you, no. We have so MANY terrible weeds and stickers and nettles that I really don’t think I want any. But you are kind to think of me. 🙂

KenshoHomestead said:
    August 20, 2020 at 5:42 PM

I thought that looks just like henbit, and I see I’m not the only one to be confused! https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/purple_deadnettle_and_henbit_two_common_garden_spring_weeds

August 20, 2020 at 6:29 PM

Oh, yeah. The henbit grows alongside the dead nettle here, frequently. My shot came from a small field of dead nettle, only, next to a huge lily pond/water feature at our local park. The henbit tends to show up more along the Riverwalk as dead nettle companions. They are both Lamiums.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    August 21, 2020 at 9:09 AM

That looks a little odd. Do the leaves have a fuzzy feel to them?

August 21, 2020 at 8:10 PM

You know, I didn’t handle one. IDK.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        August 21, 2020 at 8:11 PM

It looks like it but it could be the light

bayphotosbydonna said:
    August 21, 2020 at 11:56 AM

I recognize these but never knew what they were called. 🙂