FFTD: Verbena

There are several species of Verbena and this one is a Bonariensis or Purpletop Vervain, Clustertop Vervain, Argentinian Vervain and, good old fashioned Tall Verbena. It is not, however, a Brazilian Verbena. ~Vic

Purpletop Vervain Image
09-14-2019
Click for a larger view.

Flower for the Day

22 thoughts on “FFTD: Verbena

Tippy Gnu said:
    September 18, 2020 at 8:54 AM

It doesn’t look like it’s sporting a Brazilian, to me. I’ll take your word for it, that it’s tall.

September 18, 2020 at 2:51 PM

LOL! You dingy…

We have several in the butterfly garden at our local park. I’m 5′ 9″ and a few are face level. I’ve grown Scarlet and Purple-Homestead Verbena and, they get only a foot tall but, fall over. Their flower clusters are too heavy for their stems.

Tippy Gnu said:
        September 18, 2020 at 3:51 PM

I see. They’re beautiful flowers.

My wife grows hollyhocks, and they get very tall. Then they slowly lean over until they’re draped over our sidewalk, where we have to walk on dirt to get around them. It took some time and patience for me to convince the little lady to let me trim them back.

September 18, 2020 at 5:13 PM

LOL! Oops. Did they look like they’d been on a four-day drunk?

Tippy Gnu said:
            September 18, 2020 at 5:43 PM

Yes, and laying down on the sidewalk where everyone was tripping over them.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    September 18, 2020 at 10:00 AM

I love the purple… purpura nebula
    or haze…

September 18, 2020 at 11:08 AM

I LOVE Verbena they are just the perfect smell, color and visual delight!

JT Twissel said:
    September 19, 2020 at 3:12 PM

They’re shade lovers aren’t they?

September 19, 2020 at 3:15 PM

Not his bunch. They have no shade in the butterfly garden. Some others might be.