Shutterbug Saturday: The Wall That Heals

The Wall That Heals Image One
All Photos Are Personal Collection 10-19-2018

Yesterday, my friend Ray and I went to see The Wall That Heals. It came to Wake Forest, NC, over the weekend, sponsored by the Wake Forest Purple Heart Foundation and held at the E. Carroll Joyner Park.

In a previous post, I talked about nearly being an Army brat. I also could have potentially been fatherless as 2nd Lieutenants had short life spans in Vietnam, but…that was not my fate…nor, the fate of my father.

I do not personally know anyone that died in Vietnam. I have no names to scratch for my own memories but, my partner, my ‘significant other’ knew many that perished as he was in country 1967-1968 with the Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 74 (PDF) at Camp Haskins-South, Red Beach, Da Nang . There will be a future post on him.

Veteran Dave Image Two
A veteran named Dave. He was grieving and I gave him a copy of this.
Travis & Mark Image Three
A veteran named Travis (left). A veteran named Mark. Each received a copy.
Mother & Daughter Image Four
Mother and daughter. I tried to share to the daughter but, I messed up the phone number.
Ray Image Five
Ray scanning names.
Little Ones Image Six
The little ones with their Mom. She wanted them to understand.
Cover Image Seven
Veteran Travis left a ball cap/cover for his USS Oriskany shipmates that perished in a fire in 10-26-1966. The two reflections are me & veteran Travis.
Dale R Buis Image Eight
Dale R. Buis, the first casualty.
Van De Geer Image Nine
Richard Van De Geer, the last ‘known’ casualty.
Flags Image Ten
Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines & Coast Guard (right to left).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

~Never Forget~

10 thoughts on “Shutterbug Saturday: The Wall That Heals

cindy knoke said:
    October 21, 2018 at 1:01 AM

The heroes of my generation.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    October 21, 2018 at 7:42 AM

Their sacrifice does not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

JT Twissel said:
    October 21, 2018 at 7:34 PM

I’ve been to the Wall and it is emotional draining. I know many men who came back from Vietnam injured, paralyzed or traumatized.

October 21, 2018 at 9:07 PM

Yeah. It breaks my heart. They never got the ‘hero’s welcome’ like the WWII veterans. At least the Korean War vets didn’t get spit on.

WWI vets had their own issues with the government. They had to fight back:

floatinggold said:
    October 24, 2018 at 4:17 PM

Definitely a powerful experience.

June 12, 2019 at 5:18 PM

A very nicely done post, Vic. Just seeing all the names breaks my heart. And to know how they were treated when they came home, just wasn’t right. I hope this wall heals…healing is a good thing from a bad thing.