Movie Monday: The Three Muskateers 1993

Three Musketeers 1993 Image One
Photo Credit: pinterest.com
Three Musketeers 1993 Image Two
Photo Credit: film1.nl

Twenty-five years ago, today, the #1 film at the box office was The Three Musketeers, starring:
Charlie Sheen
Kiefer Sutherland
Chris O’Donnell
Oliver Platt
Tim Curry (The original Pennywise)
Rebecca De Mornay
Gabrielle Anwar
Michael Wincott
Paul McGann (Doctor Who #8)

A summary from IMDB:

“A Disney-ized re-telling of Dumas’ classic swashbuckling story of three swordsmen of the disbanded French King’s Guard, plus one young man who dreams to become one of them, who seek to save their King from the scheming of the Cardinal Richelieu. Jokes and stunts are the expected fare in this light-hearted and jaunty adventure.”

It was, apparently, panned by critics but, clearly, did well for Disney. The first song from the soundtrack, All For Love, had some notable success as well. Written by Bryan Adams, John “Mutt” Lange and Michael Kamen and, sung by Adams, Rod Stewart & Sting, it reached #1 in 1994 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, the Billboard Mainstream Top 40 chart, the Eurochart Hot 100, the Canadian RPM chart and, 11 other countries.

Awards:
Most Performed Song From A Film (Michael Kamen/1995 Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) Film & TV Awards)
Most Performed Songs From Motion Pictures (Bryan Adams, Robert John Lange & Michael Kamen/1995 American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers (ASCAP) Film & Television Music Awards)

Nominations:
Best Editing ~ Sound Effects (Tim Chau/1994 Motion Picture Sound Editors (MPSE) Golden Reel Award)
Best Movie Song (Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart & Sting/1994 MTV Movie & TV Awards)
Worst Supporting Actor (Chris O’Donnell/1994 Golden Raspberry (Razzie) Awards)

Interesting Trivia Bits from the Disney Movie Database.

14 thoughts on “Movie Monday: The Three Muskateers 1993

the britchy one said:
    November 12, 2018 at 9:54 PM

Three singers I absolutely love and Tim Curry too. This song is awesome and frankly, I’d watch a party political broadcast if Tim Curry was in it!

Liked by 2 people

November 12, 2018 at 10:38 PM

I *discovered* Tim Curry as Pennywise. I hated that clown (in fact, I hate clowns in general…but, I digress) but, I wanted know what that actor looked like without all the makeup. Naturally, the first stuff I could find was “Rocky Horror”, which didn’t help. It was finally pointed out that he was was in “The Hunt For Red October.” He is as versatile as Gary Oldman.

Liked by 3 people

the britchy one said:
        November 12, 2018 at 10:44 PM

Yes he really is. I loved him in Rocky Horror, he absolutely stole the film

November 12, 2018 at 10:59 PM

Honestly, I have found that I prefer UK/Irish actors/actresses to American ones. We can be blunt as f****** bricks and crass as hell. Brits & Leprechauns have more finesse, more class. And, y’all can go in & out of accents better than we can. John Barrowman blows my mind going back and forth between Midwestern US & Scottish brogue. We’re so flat, Southerners can’t do a Boston accent, Wisconsin can’t do Texan & Maine can’t do Californian…and we’re all in the same country!

Liked by 2 people

the britchy one said:
            November 12, 2018 at 11:17 PM

The average Brit can’t do accents! I can’t do ANY American accents. I sound like the bastard child of Dolly Parton sucking a helium balloon while clutching an electric fence when I try. It ain’t pretty!

Sunshiny SA, Kavitha said:
            November 23, 2018 at 11:36 AM

You are soo funny!, i agree about Charlie Sheen, maybe not in your worfs though. 😁

November 23, 2018 at 12:27 PM

I was a bit caustic, I admit. I was raised around cops, firefighters and military men. I curse like an educated sailor. It’s an art form. Heh. 😁

Sunshiny SA, Kavitha said:
                November 23, 2018 at 1:05 PM

I too curse.
                My husband will never say a word.
                Why?
                Sheltered and married at 21, I had a scary mother in law. She swore.
                So i learned from the best.
                No argument from him,. 🤣

November 13, 2018 at 2:56 AM

I remember thinking that I would hate this film but actually quite enjoyed it.

November 13, 2018 at 1:19 PM

It might be fun to watch. Maybe I will catch it someday.

Sunshiny SA, Kavitha said:
    November 23, 2018 at 5:33 AM

Ohhh one of my favourites. 😁

November 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM

It appears that a lot of folks liked it. I may have to watch…