321 Quote Challenge: Creative Writing

Journals Unsplash Image
Photo Credit: Mikhail Pavstyuk on Upslash

I have been tagged by Kristian for a quote challenge. Here are the rules, passed down from Rory:
[1] Thank the Selector (Thanks, Kristian!)
[2] Post two quotes for the dedicated “Topic of the Day” (there is no deadline, actually)
[3] Select three bloggers to take part
[4] Re-blog responses

Alrighty, then…two quotes regarding creative writing:

“I think you have to learn for yourself how to write. I’m slightly mystified by creative writing courses, God love them, because I can’t understand how you can explain a process that I find so baffling.” ~ Kate Atkinson

“I seem most instinctively to believe in the human value of creative writing, whether in the form of verse or fiction, as a mode of truth-telling, self-expression and homage to the twin miracles of creation and consciousness.” ~ John Updike

My three bloggers:
*Sigh* I got nothing. Everyone I follow is involved in one challenge or another, already. Oh, well…

6 thoughts on “321 Quote Challenge: Creative Writing

talesfromthemindofkristian said:
    December 9, 2018 at 5:40 am

Excellent. 🙂 I noticed that a lot of the quotes about creative writing were about how useless creative writing courses were. I don’t think they can make a writer out of a mathematician but they do help to direct that creative flow that is in most of us, and turn a trickle into a river. I enjoyed mine, it was just lack of funds that meant I had to stop going. 🙂

December 9, 2018 at 11:06 am

I noticed that, too. Quote after quote was “I don’t know why these classes are so prevalent. Blah, blah, blah…”

I almost posted one from an author that made a crack about France not having any creative writing courses…at all.

I agree. Mathematicians scribble. Few, if any, will write fiction novels. They aren’t built for it nor do they care.

In a contained environment, I can follow the instructions & come up with something. But, just write fiction stories or poetry? I am more “just the facts, ma’am”. Some people can tell personal stories and captivate an entire room. Me? I wasn’t gifted with the shoot-from-the-hip charm. I routinely screw up jokes. I WISH I was funny as Helen. She has brought me to tears & loss of breath over her posts.

I can, however, offer random sarcastic comments. 😁

Thanks for the tag.

talesfromthemindofkristian said:
        December 9, 2018 at 11:32 am

Helen has a real gift for hilarity, us mortals, we can only gaze on in awe. 🙂 You’re welcome.

aguycalledbloke said:
    December 9, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Excellent, thanks for playing along 🙂

December 9, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Certainly! I will, always, if I have time…and something useful to contribute.

Thanks for the visit!