30-Day Song Challenge: Day 13

Music Challenge Image
Photo Credit: goodreads.com

A song you like from the 70s…

I’m pretty much covering the 70s with this and two other posts. So much good music…so hard to choose. I have covered 1973, 1976, 1977 & 1978. For this post, and naturally I can’t choose just one, I give you 1972, 1974, 1975 & 1979.

I would provide you with the link to Song Facts but, they have this incorrectly listed in 1971. This made it to #2 in September of 1972…and is one of the most mis-heard songs. My dad loved this song and I can remember it playing on the radio in his 1972 Dodge Charger…a black one.

List of Songs From 1974

I remember playing this 45 on my little, portable record player.

List of Songs From 1975

I remember lying on the floor and listening to this on my parent’s stereo cabinet. Remember those big, wooden things with Queen Anne feet and brass fixtures? It had a great sound and you could stack a lot of albums in it.

I would provide you with a link to all the songs released in 1979 but, for some reason, this song, the album it came from and the artist are nowhere to be found on Song Facts. It peaked at #28 on October 27. I remember getting this 45. And, yes, that is Stevie Nicks in the background.

17 thoughts on “30-Day Song Challenge: Day 13

December 13, 2018 at 9:38 PM

Thanks I haven’t heard the John Stewart song in years…

December 13, 2018 at 10:50 PM

Yeah, his stuff rarely shows up, even on “We Play Everything” stations like Simon & Bob.

December 13, 2018 at 9:53 PM

This reminded me that my mum went to see the Hollies. Completely forgot about that.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    December 13, 2018 at 10:46 PM

Songs Ive never heard of

December 14, 2018 at 12:23 AM

Not a single one???

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
        December 14, 2018 at 5:43 AM

No ma’am

December 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM

John Stewart’s, Helen Reddy’s and, to some degree, Elton John’s, songs I can kinda see. “Midnight Wind” is obscure and even Song Facts has nothing on him even after the success of “Gold” (look that one up).

But, “Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress”? Every Classic Rock station in existence has that one on rotation.

Helen Reddy’s music got heavy play at the time. Her song “I Am Woman” was the rallying cry for the feminist movement. Now, she is like Olivia Newton-John…rarely heard even on oldies stations (unless it’s Grease-related, in Olivia’s case).

Elton’s song was not as popular as his others but, it did pretty well. His songs are LONG. He & Bernie Taupin write song novels, not unlike Jim Steinman. Which reminds me, should have posted an obscure Jim Steinman song…

If you are unsure of who Steinman is, think Meatloaf.

hanspostcard said:
    December 14, 2018 at 4:49 AM

Angie Baby– NO! lol.. I like the others you chose though.

December 14, 2018 at 11:45 AM

Helen Reddy is not for everyone. At the time, my young mind couldn’t totally grasp the supernatural quality in the writing. But, it is a strong memory of my childhood.

What Words May Come said: