30-Day Song Challenge: Day 15

Music Challenge Image
Photo Credit: goodreads.com

A song you like that is a cover by another artist…

This will be interesting.

First up, Angel of the Morning. Written by Chip Taylor (uncle to Angelina Jolie), this song has been covered by many. It was originally recorded by Evie Sands in 1967 and it got airplay but, the label went bankrupt and distribution halted. After that, it was a feeding frenzy spanning 45 years, culminating in the very last version by Rita Wilson (Mrs. Tom Hanks).

The two most popular versions, both released in February, 13 years apart, are also mine. I still have both 45s.

Merrilee Rush & The Turnabouts 1968

Juice Newton 1981

Next, One Tin Soldier. An anti-war song written by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter, it was originally recorded by the Canadian group The Original Caste in 1969 and did very well on the Canadian charts. Skeeter Davis’ version in 1972 also did well in Canada.

Though there are other versions of this song, one of which was done by Cher, my favorite is, of course, Jinx Dawson’s version, recorded for the movie Billy Jack.

And, last, Get It On. Originally written & recorded by the British group T. Rex in 1971, it was re-titled Bang A Gong (Get It On) by The Power Station in 1985. Sorry, T. Rex fans. I like this one better.

Late Add…

I found another one that I really, really like. Originally done by Simon & Garfunkel, this version is SO much better. From the soundtrack of Less Than Zero, The Bangles really rock it.

10 thoughts on “30-Day Song Challenge: Day 15

December 15, 2018 at 10:24 pm

I agree, not a Power Station fan, but this cover is marginally better than the original. Both great.

December 15, 2018 at 11:12 pm

The thing about Power Station was, I was already a Duran Duran & Robert Palmer fan. Heh.

the britchy one said:
    December 15, 2018 at 10:31 pm

I love One Tin Soldier. It doesn’t get enough air play. Neither do the other two both of which I love too

December 15, 2018 at 11:17 pm

Yeah. Damn shame, too. The younger generation needs more exposure to the older stuff, not just classic rock.

December 16, 2018 at 12:28 am

Chip Taylor…I knew I remembered that name…he also wrote Wild Thing for the Troggs. I like both versions of Bang a Gong.

bottomlesscoffee007 said:
    December 16, 2018 at 12:45 am

Love Billy Jack, awesome movies.

cindy knoke said:
    December 16, 2018 at 12:46 am

I know all the songs, and the love the first three.