30-Day Song Challenge: Day 24

Music Challenge Image
Photo Credit: goodreads.com

A song by a band you still wish were together…

Oh, the music we have lost.

Lone Justice (1982-1986)
What a powerhouse voice this little thing had. I wore out the Shelter cassette.

Cry of Love (1989-1997)
A band out of Raleigh, they only made one studio album in 1993 with their original lead singer, Kelly Holland, who quit after one tour. He died young in 2014 at the age of 52. They got a lot of airplay, locally. The remaining members tried to continue with former Warrant lead singer, Robert Mason and made a second album that produced one single in 1997. Band members moved on/scattered to The Black Crowes, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Sheryl Crow‘s touring band. To me, once Kelly left, the magical sound was gone (no offense to Robert Mason).

Seven Mary Three (1992-2012)
A band out of Williamsburg, Virginia, they started when two Jasons met at William & Mary. The band name came from the TV Show CHiPs as 7 Mary 3 was Officer Jon Baker‘s call sign. Their best-selling album, American Standard, was produced in 1995 by the, now, defunct Mammoth Records out of Carrboro, NC, after their first attempt in 1994 failed to chart.

Far Too Jones (1995-2000)
This was another band out of Raleigh, nicknamed the Tobacco Road Quintet. They also had one album produced by Mammoth Records and got a lot of local airplay. The only reason this band broke up, as best as I can tell, is because they had no label support. They just couldn’t break out of the region, much like what happened to Echo 7 in Myrtle Beach (whom, I know, personally…I may have to put up some of their music one day).

And, just for Christmas Eve, this one. I remember this playing on G105 in the late 90s. This band was so loved here. Quote from them, regarding this song, posted on Facebook, yesterday:

“A little history on that one… we wrote it for the Acoustic Christmas Party we did for G105 many moons ago. We actually did not know we were going to write a song until one of the on-air personalities mentioned on the air that we were…LOL!”

6 thoughts on “30-Day Song Challenge: Day 24

December 24, 2018 at 11:59 PM

Love Lone Justice…Shelter and Ways to be Wicked are great.

December 25, 2018 at 1:39 AM

Maria McKee is just two years older than I. MAN what a voice from such a little thing. Reminds me of Pat Benatar…sprite of a woman with four octave pipes.

December 25, 2018 at 1:43 AM

Maria was great. I just knew Lone Justice would be huge at the time…I liked her voice and style she had…

December 25, 2018 at 2:02 AM

There is a video where she explains what happened to them. Recording industry screw, I think.

December 25, 2018 at 2:11 AM

They were hyped a little…I remember that…I will look up some interviews.
            In the eighties I was a huge fan. She was down to earth and real…unlike say Madonna….nothing against Madonna but Maria was more my taste.

December 25, 2018 at 9:04 AM

Oh, I’m with you on that. Madonna was kinda in-your-face annoying when she was younger. Now, she is straight up nuts.