Flashback Friday: Losing Cobain & The 27s

Kurt Cobain Image
Photo Credit: rollingstone.com

Twenty-five years ago, today, according to most accounts, Kurt Cobain committed suicide. His body was discovered on April 8 by Gary Smith, an electrician that was there to install a security system. Seeing Cobain lying inside, Smith initially thought the singer was asleep until he saw blood oozing from his ear. He also found a suicide note with a pen stuck through it inside a flower-pot. A shotgun purchased for Cobain by his friend Dylan Carlson was found resting on Cobain’s chest. Cobain’s death certificate stated that he died as a result of a “contact perforating shotgun wound to the head” and concluded that his death was a suicide.

While it is true that Cobain suffered from stomach pains, drug addiction, clinical depression and bi-polar disorder, there are disputes to the official ruling. Courtney Love‘s own estranged father wrote a book and suggested that his daughter had her husband murdered.

Cobain was described as a “Generation X icon” and “the last real rock star“. He was only 27.

Twenty-seven appears to be a striking number. From The History Channel:

The untimely deaths of famous musicians at age 27 may be coincidence but, it is [a] tragic coincidence. The mythology of the 27 Club gained prominence with the death of Kurt Cobain in 1994 since he died at the same age as iconic rock musicians, including Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison, when they died in the 1970s. The premature death of Amy Winehouse at age 27 in 2011, again, renewed interest in the age’s apparent curse. This is a list of some of the artists and musicians who died at the far too young age of 27.

Robert Johnson…Blues singer-songwriter-musician (May 8, 1911 – August 16, 1938)
Brian JonesThe Rolling Stones founder (February 28, 1942 – July 3, 1969)
Alan “Blind Owl” WilsonCanned Heat co-founder (July 4, 1943 – September 3, 1970)
Jimi Hendrix…Rock singer-songwriter-guitarist (November 27, 1942 – September 18, 1970)
Janis Joplin…Rock-soul-blues singer-songwriter (January 19, 1943 – October 4, 1970)
Jim MorrisonThe Doors co-founder (December 8, 1943 – July 3, 1971)
Ron “Pigpen” McKernanGrateful Dead founding member (September 8, 1945 – March 8, 1973)
Kurt Cobain (February 20, 1967 – April 5, 1994)
Amy Winehouse…Singer-songwriter (September 14, 1983 – July 23, 2011)

Late Add from fellow blogger Badfinger20:
Pete HamBadfinger founding member (April 27, 1947 – April 24, 1975)

OH, the music we have lost. ~Vic

23 thoughts on “Flashback Friday: Losing Cobain & The 27s

hanspostcard said:
    April 5, 2019 at 8:49 PM

25 years. wow. he has nearly been gone as long as he was here. Time goes quickly.

April 5, 2019 at 9:06 PM

I didn’t know her own father wrote that.
    Pete Ham of Badfinger died when he was 27…3 days shy of 28.

April 5, 2019 at 11:21 PM

O.M.G. WOW. Another one!.

I’m going to do a late add on that. Mind if I mention you?

April 5, 2019 at 11:24 PM

I never mind Vic… He hung himself…or is it hang himself? I never get that right. He isn’t always mentioned. He was 3 days away from 28.
        With Cobain…I respect his songwriting but I never got him as much as others and he was my generation.
        I like the Foo Fighters better than Nirvana…thats sacrilegious in many circles.

April 6, 2019 at 1:16 AM

Tom Evans committed suicide the same way. I’ve heard ‘hung himself/herself’ and ‘hanged himself/herself’.

I posted it and linked back to your ‘Baby Blue’ post. Loved the backstory on Dixie Armstrong.

I loved Nirvana music. I loved his squeaky voice. I was 25 when “Smell Like Teen Spirit” blew up MTV.

April 6, 2019 at 1:20 AM

I always respected Nirvana but it never caught on with me like others. I do like “About a Girl”
            Tom was 8 years later… Yes Dixie has stayed out of the limelight afterward. Everything I’ve read about Pete was good…No one talked bad about him…in fact they said he was too nice and that was his downfall…too sensitive. Wonderful pop/rock songwriter.

April 6, 2019 at 1:38 AM

Polley broke him. On his suicide note: “P.S. Stan Polley is a soulless bastard. I will take him with me”.

April 6, 2019 at 1:46 AM

Terrible crook of a manager. He was also the manager of Al Kooper but Kooper didn’t get taken as much.
                Managers were sharks…the Colonel getting 50 percent, Allen Klein and Polley were terrible.
                The Beatles were lucky to find Epstein…he made some mistakes in money but he actually cared about them.

April 5, 2019 at 11:31 PM

Oh….I have something IT off topic…I was going to vent in a post but no one would get it I don’t think…
        We had to install patches on our Microsoft Exchange Server…Must do it! Well we did it last Sunday…didn’t check OWA or our 2 mac users…. The two users….one the VP couldn’t connect and the other Director of Ops…couldn’t connect… I googled all week and found every damn article…nothing.
        Had to do something I never had before. Had to pay Microsoft 500 to fix their damn updates…such a damn scam. Of course I told the VP it would be 500…sure thing Max no problem!
        He has a pc laptop but oh no…got to use his mac.
        Sorry for the rant.

April 6, 2019 at 1:31 AM

No apologies necessary.

When Microsoft does their ‘patching’, they can screw up Windows devices. I’m pretty sure that, when it comes to Apple products, they will only make adjustments when there is an outcry. And, they are happy to charge for the extra work.

Kinda funny that your VP & Dir. of Ops use Macs.

Ken’s PC won’t update…at all. Hasn’t patched itself since 2017. Everything ends in failure. I know that there is a corruption, somewhere but, I haven’t had time to dig. The error code is this generic monster that, when you ‘Google’ or ‘Bing’ it, you get forum returns with 50 different examples of ‘fixes’. *sigh*

And, MY PC has a thumbnail corruption…somewhere. I am NOT one to blindly surf unknown sites so, it’s not a virus or a worm. Those things cascade and grow into tentacled beasts.

To me, both are examples of Microsoft (as my ex-Marine would say…) ‘stepping on its own d***’ with its patching apparatus.

I’m also suffering from legacy skills. If you don’t use it, you lose it. My Networking skills and any Admin. skills I acquired are WAY old. Ditto my HTML but, I routinely go there to brush up. CSS & Javascript. Nope. Not anymore…

So…there’s my rant…back @ ya’! LOL!

April 6, 2019 at 1:43 AM

It is a scam. Paying them to fix what htey broke but if you don’t patch you are screwed because of holes.

We have a virtual server so we do a snap shot before we update but it took hours and by the time we found out anything was wrong we would have lost hours of emails if we restored and that would have been worse.

Yea they don’t like to make it easy for Macs. I respect Macs but hate them at the same time when people insist to have them on a pc network. I was a graphic artisit in the 90s…the mac people were such snobs. I worked with a pc and mac…the mac people would actually say when they handed me a file…don’t open it on the pc! So…when they left…that is the first thing I did.

I work with old technology for the most part…I know how you feel. In two weeks though I’m taking 2 classes on Carbon Black to become an admin…that should help my skills and my resume.

That is where you are much stronger than me…I don’t mess with HTML much at all. I’ve lost my skills by being a boss more than doing things.

April 6, 2019 at 2:04 AM

Oh, yeah. That reminds me of imaging. I remember my IS dept. upstairs when I was in Texas. They ‘re-imaged’ machines all the time. I’ve never done that.

They are STILL snobs. I’ve got classmates that have iPhones and they all act like they belong to a special group. “Oh. YOU have a SAMSUNG? I’m sorry.” Yeah. Shut up, bitch. YOU overpaid. Macs are known for stability, being virus free and unhackable. But, they are also ass-backwards from everything I’ve been trained in. And, being twice as expensive doesn’t make it any more endearing. Don’t even get me started on iTunes and their locked music.

I’ve never heard of Carbon Black. Sounds like a rock band. LOL!

Yeah. It’s hard to get a wrench and work on the truck when you are too busy designing the whole vehicle.

April 6, 2019 at 2:19 AM

Images are great. We don’t send them over the network…we just have a machine with a huge drive with different corporate images on it. No more installing from a disk… I was never class taught…I just picked up as I went. I’ve regretted that…I feel like I”m standing on the shoulders of giants instead of learning slowly and the right way. I went to school for graphics but not tech…
                Yea I figured Mac users were still that way I just don’t come in contact with them anymore… LOL I agree completely with you on Mac. The VP was telling me….well it’s not the Mac’s fault…I know him well…. so I told him…well it might not be but everyone else is working BUT the Macs.
                Well take heart that the Beatles took a lot of their money lol. They sued the hell out of them beause of them using Apple…and going into music.
                Carbon Black is really cool. It is on every computer we have…it detects worms or malious software…very expensive…but very good.

April 6, 2019 at 4:49 PM

Learning is learning. Never regret being an autodidact. I’ve learned more on my own than any school or book learning. I’m all for standing on shoulders. Why re-invent the wheel? And, what is ‘the right way’? Standard schooling? Because that has worked so well? Please. Square pegs in round holes still doesn’t work. And, all you will get from post school is indoctrination and mountains of debt.

My ex-Marine was a brilliant autodidact in my many categories. He was nearly singular in remodeling our home in Texas, twice. I helped where I could. Did he go to a proper trade school to learn construction? Nope. He knew how to read and understand. He was a brilliant network technician. He could build & repair PCs, network them and administrate. He attempted to pursue a MCSE (systems engineer not solutions expert). Seven tests & hundreds of dollars… He discovered that the actual training for engineering came on your own. The only thing the tests did was test you on taking a test. It had little to do with reinforcing actual hands-on skills & knowledge. If you can do the job, do it. This standardized testing is crap. So is the standardized schooling that it came from.

It was one thing to go to college in the middle 80s or, even, the 70s. The quality was better and the price was lower. Now? It is a black hole of nothingness.

GOOD. I hope The Beatles got gazillions.

How expensive? Is it corporate only?

April 6, 2019 at 5:44 PM

I admit that I learn alot…sometimes I wish I knew the basis…the foundation more. That would be the reason…but I do have a built in skill of troubleshooting. When I saw that Microsoft person open up the management shell….I was impressed but I can’t concentrate just on Exchange…I do everything.

I will say that I’ve hired people more on experience than college. I started in 95 with a computer and went from there….got a helpdesk job because of a friend and then worked myself up.

I agree with school now. They don’t teach the basics… they are working on the shoulders of giants now.

The Apple thing went back and forth and finally this.
                    The settlement includes terms that are confidential, although newspaper accounts at the time stated that Apple Computer was buying out Apple Corps’ trademark rights for a total of $500 million.[12]

Commenting on the settlement, Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO said, “We love the Beatles, and it has been painful being at odds with them over these trademarks. It feels great to resolve this in a positive manner, and in a way that should remove the potential of further disagreements in the future.”

That doesn’t include the catalog they had to pay for a few years ago

April 6, 2019 at 9:10 PM

After watching what my ex went thru, I really soured on the Admin./Systems stuff. I’m not a good test taker. I’m a kinetic learner and paper/pencil tests freak me out, esp. if money is involved. I didn’t even pursue it on my own because I knew that, without the ‘title’ or ‘extension to my name’, I wouldn’t get hired no matter what I knew.

I programmed for two years 1983-1985 with BASIC, Assembler, RPG, COBOL…used punch cards… I hated VTOC. After programming on Apple IIs, a punch card machine seemed like going backwards but, it was a neat experience. I never got to do Fortran. They had already phased it out. I burned out after two years and switched curriculums. I wish I had gone into graphics as I had enjoyed it in HS but, I headed for Bus. Admin. *yawn* After two years of college, and no degree (enough credits but, two different curriculums), I was sick of school and stopped going full time. Plus, I was busy dating my 1st hubby.

I wonder how Paul & Ringo felt about their music going to Jobs.

cindy knoke said:
    April 6, 2019 at 12:40 AM

He was such an important brilliant light.

April 6, 2019 at 1:39 AM

He certainly rocked the world with his voice and his plight.

April 6, 2019 at 2:57 PM

25 years. That’s unreal seems like no more than 10 or so. A real talent.

April 6, 2019 at 4:52 PM

Time is-a flying…

That whole list of 27s was talent.

Chris said:
    April 6, 2019 at 5:55 PM

How could the guy who found him just think Cobain was “sleeping”? His entire face, almost his whole head, was blown off.