TV Tuesday: Cross of Fire 1989

Cross of Fire Image
Image Credit: vidimovie.com

Thirty years ago, today, Part I of the mini-series Cross of Fire aired on NBC. Based on the kidnapping, rape and murder of Madge Oberholtzer, it starred John Heard, Mel Harris, David Morse, George Dzundza and Lloyd Bridges. Directed by Paul Wendkos and written by Robert Crais, it was filmed in Kansas, though the historical events occurred in Indiana.

John Heard plays the part of D. C. Stephenson, the Grand Dragon of the Indiana Branch of KKK.

The two-part TV movie Cross of Fire is set in the 1920s, when the Ku Klux Klan was at the height of its political power in Indiana. Part One, originally telecast November 5, 1989, details the resurgence of the Klan (which had been created during the Reconstruction era) under the leadership of David “Steve” Stephenson […]. Cloaking himself in the twin veils of patriotism and morality, Stephenson rails against such “deviates” as blacks, Jews and Catholics, gaining political clout and financial kickbacks as his “invisible empire” grows. Part Two […], telecast November 6, traces the fall of Stephenson…not because his followers have wised up but, because of a 1925 rape and murder charge.

[From Allmovie]

Madge Oberholtzer’s Dying Declaration [Warning: graphic descriptions]
Stephenson’s Murder Conviction
Aftermath and Fallout

♠ The scandal reached the governor. He was indicted and tried but, the conclusion was a hung jury. He wasn’t retried due to the statute of limitations but, left office disgraced with his political career destroyed.

Primetime Emmy Award

6 thoughts on “TV Tuesday: Cross of Fire 1989

November 8, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Never heard of this but I just read about him…I’m pissed they even released him.

November 9, 2019 at 2:44 AM

Exactly. Did you catch the part about his being arrested at 70 for sexual assault? What a POS.

November 9, 2019 at 2:45 AM

Yep…I want to look that up and see if I can find it.

November 9, 2019 at 2:48 AM

You will be disgusted.

Emailed you…finally. Sorry. I a slow ass…

November 9, 2019 at 2:52 AM

I didn’t know who owed who an email lol… Check your email…it will coming from dropbox…the Circle of Fear Episode

November 9, 2019 at 2:56 AM

Wow. Thanks. I will. Right now, I’m heading my tired ass to BED. Night!