Thanksgiving 2019

Riverwalk Sunset Image One
Riverwalk Thanksgiving sunset this evening.

As I type this, I am nearly comatose from the tryptophan overload. I’m glad I went for a walk before I ate as I would never have been able to get off the couch. I didn’t prepare a full size turkey as there was only three of us eating. I slow cooked a turkey breast in my crock pot. I did have the usual mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce and my lumpy mushroom gravy. With a small gathering, no traditional dressing but, stove top stuffing instead. I’ve struggled for years to make non-lumpy gravy. It just ain’t happening. *sigh*

Many well wishes and, safe travels to family and friends. The weather is a mess in many parts of the US. *yawn* ~Vic

Riverwalk Thanksgiving Sunset Image Two
I was actually trying to capture not only the sun setting but,
the crescent moon as well.
Crescent Moon Image Three
You can just see the crescent moon in the center.
Just below it, hard to see, is Venus.
It’s a truly slim crescent but, my phone always blurs Moon.

36 thoughts on “Thanksgiving 2019

floatinggold said:
    November 28, 2019 at 10:18 PM

Thank you for solving my mystery. I went for a walk AFTER dinner. It just makes me feel so much better to move. The weather was gorgeous, the sky was clear, the moon was out and there were unusually bright “stars” near it. I had no idea, however I had a feeling it had something to do with planets. Venus and Jupiter! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. All the circumstances aligned. Of course, I went for a walk without my phone, so no pictures. I didn’t despair only because I knew my phone would make it look shitty, anyway.

November 28, 2019 at 10:49 PM

Cell phones just don’t capture what a traditional camera can. They blur all zooms.

By the time I got my walk, Jupiter had already dipped below the horizon. Venus, on the other hand, looked like it was the Moon’s diamond necklace…directly below it. I have a Heavens-Above app on my phone that identifies all the stars & planets via satellite data. It is SO cool. These folks:

floatinggold said:
        November 29, 2019 at 9:13 AM

It truly was spectacular!

November 29, 2019 at 10:58 AM

I think you do an outstanding job with your phone. Thank you for the link…I’m off to see what is in my part of the sky!

November 29, 2019 at 3:41 PM

You are kind. *hugs*

That site and/or app is AWESOME. I was at my local market about six months ago when the app showed me that the ISS was passing over. Sure enough, I looked up & watched it pass. You couldn’t miss it.

I also like to follow when the Galactic Center rises. Look for Sagittarius rising and then look for the star Alnasl (weird name). Alnasl is the tip of the teapot in Sagittarius and points to the center of our galaxy.

November 29, 2019 at 1:48 AM

Since I ate somewhere else tonight….at a cousin’s house…I didn’t stuff myself for once on Thanksgiving. I wanted to walk afterward but it’s raining. I like the first picture…

November 29, 2019 at 2:35 AM

It’s hard NOT to stuff yourself on Thanksgiving! LOL!

You mentioned being at your cousin’s house…somewhere else. On one of your posts? I’m so confused…

November 29, 2019 at 2:42 AM

I was…We were actually…I told everyone we freeloaded this year lol. No we were invited and Bailey doesn’t like Thanksgiving food as much so we just went there instead of cooking at home this year. We will have Christmas here.
        Yea I must have typed that somewhere else.

November 29, 2019 at 2:43 PM

Which Thanksgiving food does he dislike?

November 29, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Dressing, ham, mash potatos and gravy… I told him he will probably like it one day. He is a picky eater. He doesn’t like chili, beef stew… I didn’t like those when I was young but now I love them.

November 29, 2019 at 11:58 PM

I have a friend in Texas whose first born son couldn’t stand mashed potatoes. It was a texture thing for him.

We are all unique critters.

November 30, 2019 at 12:02 AM

Yea but his likes? Steak, Shrimp, and Ribs…I told him he better earn some money… Of course burgers, pizza, and and thing in a box fits also.
                His taste will probably change as he gets older…mine did.

November 30, 2019 at 12:17 AM

He’s young. I had a taste for fast food back then, too. Now…I cook. And, I eat my veggies and fruits. I rarely eat pizza. If I do, it is from our pizzeria with homemade sourdough crust.

November 30, 2019 at 1:00 AM

Yea we ate some pizza tonight but it’s from a place here who homemakes it…it’s actually quite light

November 30, 2019 at 1:29 AM

I much prefer artisan food to mass produced.

November 30, 2019 at 12:03 AM

I see that you moved everything out of dropbox…you got it on your computer now? Does it play alright?

November 30, 2019 at 12:23 AM

I downloaded all three. I will be watching those tomorrow. Yesterday and today, I have been up to my eyeballs in Thanksgiving cooking, warming up leftovers, doing ALL the damn dishes and running errands.

I launched all of them last night after downloading. They seem to work fine. The Ghost Stories are MP4s and Planes…is an AVI. I started a “Dropbox Stuff” folder. LOL!

I don’t suppose you have any Doctor Who…? I found and downloaded the first nine from 2005. They are Flash videos. Got them some time back before YouTube turned into Nazis.

November 30, 2019 at 1:01 AM

I have ALL of them from 1963 to a couple of years ago… so you want some from that first season after nine?

November 30, 2019 at 1:32 AM

I am downloading right now! LOL!

How can you have all of them, all the way back to 1963? Even the BBC can’t find all of them… Some were destroyed.

November 30, 2019 at 1:38 AM

Some of them have still pictures where there is no video

November 30, 2019 at 1:44 AM

OH! Ok. I did get to see Shada on BBC America, restored with cartoon sections.

November 30, 2019 at 2:06 AM

Yea and they used some it when they featured the 3 doctors I believe…or it would have been 5…I can’t remember now. He disappeared riding the boat.

jmshistorycorner said:
    November 29, 2019 at 2:49 AM

I hope you’ve recovered.

Kat said:
    November 29, 2019 at 9:36 PM

I went out after dinner (drove, didn’t walk). The view of the moon and Venus was incredible. I decided that my pitiful iPhone6 wouldn’t do it justice so I just sat and loved it.

November 30, 2019 at 4:22 AM

Lumpy gravy is my curse as well. Strangely when I make gluten free gravy it works perfectly every time.

November 30, 2019 at 4:36 PM

I tried it last night with just corn starch…still lumpy. 🙄

JT Twissel said:
    November 30, 2019 at 11:01 PM

Beautiful pictures. We had a fairly modest Thanksgiving as well. Ate early, played a game and were home by 6 PM.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    December 2, 2019 at 7:59 PM

I made my traditional lumpy gravy this year too 🙂