Weird S*** Wednesday: Wet Wipes Wastewater Wads

UPI Facebook Image
Photo Credit: Palm Beach County
Water Utilities Department
Facebook Post

I haven’t done one of these since 2013. I read a lot and sometimes I come across some strange things. This is an article from United Press International:

Wet Wipes Clog All Four Pumps At Florida Wastewater Facility

April 15, 2020 (UPI) Utility officials in a Florida county are reminding residents not to flush wet wipes down the toilet after all four of the wastewater facility’s pumps clogged at the same time.

The Palm Beach County Water Utilities Department said in a Facebook post that all four pumps at the organization’s wastewater pumping facility in Boca Raton ended up clogged at the same time “for the first time ever.” The post blamed the clogs on increased use of wet wipes.

“It took a team of three utility mechanics to dissemble and reassemble the pumps in order to remove the compacted wipes,” the post said. The department said residents who find themselves “low on toilet paper” amid shortages from the COVID-19 pandemic should remember that all wet wipes, including those labeled “flushable,” should be thrown in the trash and not disposed of in the toilet.

Wait a minute. Are these folks insinuating that “residents who find themselves low on toilet paper” are using Clorox and/or Lysol wet wipes in lieu of TP? Or, are we talking baby wipes here? The article isn’t all that clear. Either way…just…DAMN. ~Vic

21 thoughts on “Weird S*** Wednesday: Wet Wipes Wastewater Wads

David Redpath said:
    April 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM

A terrible product that should
    never have been approved for
    sale to the oblivious public.

April 16, 2020 at 1:58 AM

Not exactly Earth-friendly… I can hear the cursing from the employees, now.

David Redpath said:
        April 16, 2020 at 2:04 AM

Why does so much of manufacturing
        “value adding”, result in environmental
        degradation? When will mankind ever
        learn? The 3M company takes the can
        with their toxic chemical seeping into
        the water table.

April 16, 2020 at 2:19 AM

It’s all about da money…honey.

Unfortunately, too many people think we live on a dead rock and they can do as they please. I’d love to see the Sidhe’ get a-hold of the contaminators.

Kenneth T. said:
    April 16, 2020 at 1:25 AM

A “facebook” posting? – hahahaha

There’s a problem if all 4 of those 8-12 inch pipes clogged – same time or otherwise.
    That problem has very little to do with “wet wipes” and more to do with engineering and maintenance.
    Nope, I don’t “believe” this

April 16, 2020 at 2:14 AM

Possibly but, the link does go directly to their Facebook page and the Facebook page has a link to their government site. Why bother to post about the issue if it is an engineering problem? Wouldn’t that invite an investigation into poor maintenance practices or bad designing? It would be extremely poor judgement to post such a thing if it was a fabrication. That would bring about unwanted curiosity.

Kenneth T. said:
        April 16, 2020 at 2:36 AM

Why post about it on a (gasp) facebook page at all? Like twitter – social media is monitored by more than the Alphabet Gang. *People like you – people like me
        Even you must realize that “these” stories are written for sensationalism AND to get a rise out of people.

btw, I work in the waste water industry.
        As for the “engeneering” part of the problem, that would (again) be addressed internally. After-all this wet wipe problem (probably) hasn’t been an issue before.

April 16, 2020 at 1:51 PM

“This type of problem wouldn’t be talked about on social media because it would generate unwanted curiosity.” “…the problem would be addressed internally.” And, yet, it was put on social media. And, I’m right back to my original question…why did they post it? Why sensationalize wet wipe cloggings? Wouldn’t this be more in line with a public service announcement, like, don’t pour grease down the drain (like our town harps on)? Why would it be more important to “sensationalize” an actual problem than to deal with it internally away from prying eyes? It would seem to me that the desire for social media coverage would blow up in their faces.

BTW, I don’t have a Twitter account and don’t visit it. Twitter posts may wind up in news articles, for effect, but, I am not a Twitter person. On FB, I have a placeholder so Messenger works for talking to family & friends. I don’t GO on FB to be on FB. “People like you…people like me…” You assume a lot.

Silk Cords said:
    April 16, 2020 at 4:04 AM

Google it up. This isn’t the first time or place it’s happened.

April 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM

Oh. I’m sure. 😆 This just happened to be the first story I ran across that applied to the date.

I wish there was an aggregate site of nothing but weird stories. I’ve found two but they have been abandoned over the last couple of years.

bayphotosbydonna said:
    April 16, 2020 at 8:40 AM

OMGosh, gross! I’m with you, what the heck are they wiping themselves with??? 😝

April 16, 2020 at 2:05 PM

Yeah. I can’t even begin to imagine cleaning that mess…*heave* 🤢🤮

Where is Mike Rowe when you need him? 😄

Liked by 2 people

April 16, 2020 at 10:47 AM

Bleach and Lysol? Yea that would feel really good!

April 16, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Oh fuck, no. 😖😳

I’m thinking it’s baby wipes but, I’m pretty sure there will be those using the other.

April 16, 2020 at 2:24 PM

“I still can’t get past the fact that this is a virus that is hard on the lungs, not the ass.”

Amen! That is so true with the toilet paper shortage.

April 16, 2020 at 11:43 AM

And paper towels…our kid who works for the city they have even had wash cloths come through. Sigh

April 16, 2020 at 2:17 PM

Good lord. If people had to go to the wastewater treatment plants and clean their own messes…

I wonder how effective those non-flushable, “green” toilets are that you see in tiny houses. They must operate with the stuff like they pour in septic tanks.

My maternal grandmother still had the outhouse on the property when I was little. My mother didn’t use indoor plumbing until she was a young teen.

April 16, 2020 at 3:42 PM

The waterless ones work with electricity…it burns up the the ‘stuff’ then you just sweep it out.