Story Sunday: The Asteroid & The Mask

Researcher Wearing Face Mask Image One
Researcher Anne Virkki comparing her mask.
Photo Credit: Arecibo Observatory & USA Today

I haven’t done a Story Sunday since 2014.

It’s funny how every news article out there these days just has to make a tie in with the virus. And, that image doesn’t look like a mask to me. It looks like something else. Just sayin’… ~Vic

An asteroid is hurtling close to the Earth, and with it, a startling reminder of the coronavirus pandemic. The space rock, known as 1998 OR2, will be nearly 4 million miles away from Earth on Wednesday at 5:59am EDT, classifying it as a “potentially hazardous” asteroid, despite the impossibility of it posing a threat to Earth anytime soon.

A newly captured image by [the] Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico brings its own surprise. As the asteroid approaches our planet, it looks as if it’s wearing its own mask and may very well be conducting its own social distancing practices. “The small-scale topographic features, such as hills and ridges on one end of asteroid 1998 OR2, are fascinating, scientifically,” Anne Virkki, head of planetary radar at Arecibo Observatory, said in a statement. “But, since we are all thinking about COVID-19, these features make it look like 1998 OR2 remembered to wear a mask.”

Asteroid 1998 OR2 Image Two
Image Credit: Arecibo Observatory & USA Today

It’s classified as a potentially hazardous asteroid because it is more than 500 feet in diameter and closer than 4,650,000 miles to Earth. “Although this asteroid is not projected to impact Earth, it is important to understand the characteristics of these types of objects to improve impact-risk mitigation technologies,” she said.

The asteroid, which is about one mile in diameter, has been traveling at nearly 20,000 mph since its discovery in 1998. Though it may not come anywhere near Earth in the coming weeks, Flaviane Venditti, a researcher at the observatory, said in a statement that, in 2079, it “will pass Earth about 3.5 times closer than it will this year.”

Joshua Bote
USA Today
April 24, 2020
Updated April 26, 2020

Additional Articles:
S-Band Spotlight (National Astronomy & Ionosphere Center)
Rocky Horror (The Sun)
Asteroid Visiting Earth’s Neighborhood Brings Its Own Face Mask (University of Central Florida)

12 thoughts on “Story Sunday: The Asteroid & The Mask

bayphotosbydonna said:
    April 27, 2020 at 8:47 PM

The image looks more like a bad mammo shot to me 😝

May 1, 2020 at 1:28 AM

ya….that is no mask. If I were 12…I would say something but I won’t… It’s no telling how many asteroids are out there zooming around in the stratosphere. One day…

May 1, 2020 at 3:11 AM

LOL! Donna pegged it up above…it looks like a mammogram.

Nah. No worries. Getting back to the Chris Thomas material, there has only been one time this planet has been pelted with a lot of debris…and that was the event that killed off the dinosaurs and gave us a Moon.

May 1, 2020 at 11:51 AM

Just think though of the close calls we probably had with no knowledge. Yes the dinosaurs…that is what I think of when I see things like this…no…sorry boobies are what I think of when I see THIS.

May 1, 2020 at 3:41 PM

🤣🤣🤣 When I first looked at that image, my head shouted “boob!” I couldn’t help it. And, they actually published this thing with scientific straight faces! 😳

Trust me when I tell you that there will be no “Armageddon” or “Deep Impact”. It won’t be allowed to happen. Remember, Mother Earth is sentient as are all the other planets…and our sun. We are souls inhabiting bodies (or, a suit of armor…or, a biological space suit, depending how you look at it) and the planets & sun are souls…they are just much bigger souls than we are.

Our solar system used to have more planets. Four decided they didn’t want to participate anymore. Two of them exploded (they broke the shells they had created). One of those planets was in between Venus & Earth. The explosion sent debris everywhere. Earth & Venus caught the worst of that blast. Venus lost all of its life forms (all the planets had life forms until the explosions) and, Earth lost most of her dinosaurs & her atmosphere was ripped off.

A second planet exploded between Mars & Jupiter. Mars lost all of its life forms as did Jupiter (though the life on Ganymede is still there). The destruction was so bad that the other two planets just moved out of the solar system to slowly dissolve at the edge of our solar system.

It was a learning curve. The two souls that created the mess didn’t know that would happen.

Earth got her Moon as that planet left a portion of its soul behind.

May 1, 2020 at 4:49 PM

It would upset the balance if one did hit. It would throw everything out of kilter.

I worry more about us doing more damage to it than it. When you think about it…it’s all about balance…without the moon we would be fu**ed.

May 1, 2020 at 7:07 PM

Honey, the entire Universe is watching us.

We have done a lot of damage. No doubt. And, like I’ve said, before, we have been interfered with. Some of the damage we inflicted isn’t our fault…truly…and Earth knows that. The idea behind Earth Day and recycling, and renewable energy, comes from the collective understanding of what has been done (and why). The problem was, big corporations and the government commandeered it for profit. That was not what was intended. Plus, the worst issue is GMOs…and we, even collectively, cannot clean that up. The Sidhe’ will have to do that.

The Moon did help stabilize Earth after the planet exploded but, there are ancient, written accounts of those that remembered Earth before the Moon appeared. She doesn’t really *need* a Moon, she wanted it and the planet’s fragment of a soul wanted to stay.

Soul energy can be split. We are doing it right now.

May 1, 2020 at 8:36 PM

Big Corporations and Big Goverment I can do without. I’m such an anti corporate person.
            So what you are saying…you are probably not…but what I get from it…which it could be anything from a monkey riding a tricycle in my brain or… the earth evolves which I believe is true.

May 1, 2020 at 11:47 PM

Gotta watch that monkey-mind… It’ll get you in trouble. LOL!

Everything evolves. Nothing is static.

May 2, 2020 at 12:22 AM

Ok…no more monkey mind!…I think. Cool I thought right!