Song Sunday: Desperate But Not Serious

Adam Ant Image One
Image Credit: lettiemusic.wordpress.com

“If you don’t stop, you will go blind…”

Rolling down the Samsung playlist for a Sunday evening submission, we come to Adam Ant or, Stuart Leslie Goddard and Desperate But Not Serious. The fourth track from the album Friend or Foe, it was co-written by Goddard and Marco Pirroni and, released November 19, 1982, the third single from his solo debut. This is the album that brought us Goody Two Shoes that went to number #1 in Australia and the UK. Desperate didn’t fare as well peaking at #33 in the UK and #66 on Billboard’s Hot 100.

I bought the album as a cassette and nearly wore it out. This is what I term as eclectic music. It’s different, it’s catchy, Goddard has a crazy voice that he plays to the hilt and the writing is very coy and, tongue-in-cheek. He will be at The Paramount Theatre in Austin, Texas, April 28, 2021. I’ve been to that venue many times. I would love to see him there.

I hope you enjoy

7 thoughts on “Song Sunday: Desperate But Not Serious

May 4, 2020 at 4:46 AM

Wow I remember that song. I had a friend you was a massive fan and that was his favourite song.

May 4, 2020 at 12:35 PM

Ant Music is an acquired taste. šŸ˜„šŸœ

May 5, 2020 at 1:37 AM

He is a bit dramatic that is for sure. I remember his MTV hits…I never heard him on the radio I don’t think.

May 5, 2020 at 1:23 PM

Heh. Yeah. He’s different. I enjoyed his videos. Goody Two Shoes has been played to death in my area. I suspect he probably got more airplay in the UK.

May 5, 2020 at 1:30 PM

He was big there but I knew his songs because of MTV…not the radio. There was another one also….I just looked it up…Stand and Deliever.

May 5, 2020 at 2:44 PM

Like that one, too… “I am the dandy highwayman…” Previous album.

Then, there’s “Strip”. I think I heard that on the radio way back. That was from the next album.

At one time, some of his Ants were snatched and became Bow Wow Wow. I remember reading about that years ago. He was not happy.

I’ve always seen him as David Bowie’s goofy, less talented little brother…or, at least a cousin of sorts.

May 5, 2020 at 4:41 PM

I forgot Strip…I do remember that one…he was totally British…to the core.
            I remember that…about his Ants being taken away…maybe from Dave’s blog.