Foto Friday: Alton, Illinois

My buddy Ray is from Illinois. He routinely returns to visit family and his girlfriend, Gloria. Sharing some lovely photos from Alton.

Addendum: I had to correct a credit. Thanks, Gloria. ~Vic

Along Mississippi River Image One
Along the Mississippi River
The Great River Road
10-29-2019
Photo Credit: Josh Major
Piasa Bird Image Two
Piasa Bird Painting
Photo Credit: Ray Tutterow
Clark Bridge Sunset Image Three
The Clark Bridge
Photo Credit: Ray Tutterow
Morrisons Irish Pub Image Four
Morrison’s Irish Pub
This place almost closed during massive flooding.
The city rallied around it and kept it afloat.
Now, they have a food pantry, giving back.
05-03-2020
Photo Credit: Gloria Lawrence
Water Retention Pond Image Seven
Wetlands Water Retention Pond
Photo Credit: Gloria Lawrence

23 thoughts on “Foto Friday: Alton, Illinois

May 9, 2020 at 12:12 AM

I like the top pic Vic with that red blending in…really cool.

May 9, 2020 at 1:37 AM

These are great. I texted Gloria and asked if I could post with credit. She was very happy. Alton is the lowest, lowest left corner of Illinois. Across the river is Missouri. Ray travels home about twice a year. He’s been living in NC for 30 years. Wound up here due to the Navy.

May 9, 2020 at 1:49 AM

That picture really caught my attention…
        So he only sees her twice a year? That is a strong relationship.

May 9, 2020 at 2:21 AM

Well, she comes here, too. So, technically, they visit four times a year…two there and two here. And, sometimes, they meet in the middle. They met in Georgia a couple of years ago and wandered all over the state. She has family down there.

They are cute together.

May 9, 2020 at 2:27 AM

Ok that makes sense… That is cool.

May 9, 2020 at 2:44 AM

They were high school chums but, never dated. He had a life in the Navy and she was a schoolteacher. Now, they are both retired. Well…Ray is semi-retired.

May 9, 2020 at 2:45 AM

That is a long time to know someone.

May 9, 2020 at 2:30 PM

Well, it’s generational. They were blocks away from each other and parents were buddies.

Gloria Lawrence said:
        May 9, 2020 at 9:36 AM

Actually Alton is mid state across the river from the St. Louis metropolitan area. I also need to beg off the photo credit for the bluffs with the fall foliage. I probably shared a tourism photo. The drive North up The Great River Road is spectacular at any season. Looking forward to seeing you the next time I visit your area! Gloria

May 9, 2020 at 7:44 PM

OH!. I thought it was in the lower left corner. Oops.

I corrected the attribution to the top one.

Hope to see you, soon.

Gloria Lawrence said:
            May 9, 2020 at 11:23 PM

You are probably thinking of Cairo. The last time I was there it made gone downhill really bad. I had gone down there with a team of teachers and principals from Alton and a couple of State people to do a training for accelerated schools. I should go back and see if they have had any luck with revitalization. Gloria

May 9, 2020 at 7:46 PM

Gloria responded, below. It’s not in the left corner. It’s due north of St. Louis, across the river.

May 9, 2020 at 8:17 PM

Well it’s an awesome photo all the same!

May 9, 2020 at 10:59 PM

Aaannnd, it isn’t her photo. LOL! It was part of a series of photos from another guy in the area that she shared on FB and Ray sent to me. I fixed the credit.

I looked at more of the guys stuff. He has some stunning pieces.

May 9, 2020 at 11:03 PM

I know lol….I read her response…it is still awesome! If she is reading….It’s still awesome Gloria regardless.
            I like the others also. The backwater one looks cool

May 9, 2020 at 11:10 PM

She might return now that she knows I blog. She even mentioned doing more pieces on Alton.

May 9, 2020 at 11:13 PM

That is cool. I would have had to pick that one….like I said…I like the backwater one…and The Clark Bridge. Anything that is set against light or dark

Gloria Lawrence said:
              May 10, 2020 at 1:31 AM

The backwater area is close to dry right now. Army Corps of Engineers raises and lowers water levels by using the locks in the dam. They do their best to prevent floods but Mother Nature often wins. I’ve talked to two friends who live near the Illinois River which feeds into the Mississippi just North of Alton. They have minor flooding now. More water is coming due to heavy rains and snow melt up North. Wish us luck.

Liked by 2 people

May 10, 2020 at 1:38 AM

I around 5 miles from a dam but where I am we don’t have trouble thank goodness.
                Flooding is terrible. We went through it bad in 2010 in Nashville…I’ve seen the destruction it can cause. I do wish you all the best.

cindy knoke said:
    May 9, 2020 at 12:28 AM

So wonderful! America is amazingly beautiful. Stay safe and well.

May 9, 2020 at 2:10 AM

They are wonderful shots. Gloria & Ray did well.

Hope you are well and safe, too! ❤

May 9, 2020 at 10:40 AM

WOW! What a fun tour. I love the food pantry idea and all those amazing sunset/rise photos!

May 9, 2020 at 7:50 PM

I wouldn’t mind visiting there, myself. I’ve never been to Illinois.