Flashback Friday: Death Valley Hits 134.4°F 1913

Death Valley Record Image
Photo Credit: Ken Lund
History & Headlines
Wikimedia

This was going to be a post on the highest recorded heat level, listed in the Guinness (Book) of World Records. Supposedly, one-hundred and seven years ago, today, Death Valley got up to 134.4℉. I read Wikipedia, I read Guinness and I read History & Headlines. If it made it into Guinness, someone must have thought it was legitimate. Well, after taking a dive into Weather Underground‘s investigation of this record (this is a very long read), posted by weather historian Christopher Burt on October 24, 2016, I’m not so sure this event ever happened.

I have contacted Guinness for a challenge. We shall see how this plays out. ~Vic

7 thoughts on “Flashback Friday: Death Valley Hits 134.4°F 1913

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    July 11, 2020 at 3:36 AM

Whats the next hottest? Is anything even remotely close?

July 11, 2020 at 2:08 PM

Um…129, 130? That investigation was LONG…with charts & shit. 🤓😳🤯 Really meteorological wonky stuff from 1913…

Curiously, the website wattsupwiththat.com showcased it, too, from a guest writer, using Burt’s old data before his new investigation. I find that ironic as hell as Anthony Watts is the one that was first on the scene to scream “fake” when Mann came out with the global warming hockey stick nonsense.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        July 11, 2020 at 2:28 PM

That is HOT…I mean HOT. I am guessing without much humidity but still.

July 11, 2020 at 2:37 PM

Yeah. 😄 I’m hearing Matthew Broderick, right now… “This is like Africa hot…” from Biloxi Blues. 😆

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            July 11, 2020 at 6:51 PM

That fits! Yes that is it.

July 14, 2020 at 4:18 PM

That’s hot

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: