Flashback Friday: Death Valley Hits 134.4°F 1913

Death Valley Record Image
Photo Credit: Ken Lund
History & Headlines
Wikimedia

This was going to be a post on the highest recorded heat level, listed in the Guinness (Book) of World Records. Supposedly, one-hundred and seven years ago, today, Death Valley got up to 134.4℉. I read Wikipedia, I read Guinness and I read History & Headlines. If it made it into Guinness, someone must have thought it was legitimate. Well, after taking a dive into Weather Underground‘s investigation of this record (this is a very long read), posted by weather historian Christopher Burt on October 24, 2016, I’m not so sure this event ever happened.

I have contacted Guinness for a challenge. We shall see how this plays out. ~Vic

9 thoughts on “Flashback Friday: Death Valley Hits 134.4°F 1913

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    July 11, 2020 at 3:36 AM

Whats the next hottest? Is anything even remotely close?

July 11, 2020 at 2:08 PM

Um…129, 130? That investigation was LONG…with charts & shit. 🤓😳🤯 Really meteorological wonky stuff from 1913…

Curiously, the website wattsupwiththat.com showcased it, too, from a guest writer, using Burt’s old data before his new investigation. I find that ironic as hell as Anthony Watts is the one that was first on the scene to scream “fake” when Mann came out with the global warming hockey stick nonsense.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        July 11, 2020 at 2:28 PM

That is HOT…I mean HOT. I am guessing without much humidity but still.

July 11, 2020 at 2:37 PM

Yeah. 😄 I’m hearing Matthew Broderick, right now… “This is like Africa hot…” from Biloxi Blues. 😆

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            July 11, 2020 at 6:51 PM

That fits! Yes that is it.

Silk Cords said:
    July 11, 2020 at 10:39 PM

I remember hearing about this one occasionally when I was younger. I hear that 130-ish is pretty common in the Middle East also though. *shrug*

Weather historian though huh? Well, as long as he’s not a weather history revisionist. There’s actually alot of that going on since the Obama administration. Changing records to fit the global warming models.

July 11, 2020 at 11:40 PM

Well…*scratching head*…weather recording has a history, too, so, I guess a meteorologist can be an historian regarding old data.

History & Headlines actually refers to Burt’s earlier work:

Apparently, they didn’t bother to seek out his 2016 investigation. Burt doesn’t change the data, he does an in depth analysis of the surrounding territory (along with a William T. Reid) and the guy who was reporting the data (an Oscar Denton). What made Burt revisit his previous research appears to be the 2012 rejection of the El Azizia (Libya) reading of 136.4°F on September 13, 1922.

Neither high temp seems correct, which would be counterproductive if they were screaming global warming.

July 14, 2020 at 4:18 PM