POTD: Cycle of Life

I wasn’t expecting to see this. I was a bit startled and thought I might scare the bird. The small creek was quite a bit of a steep drop. This may be hard to look at but, the carrion eaters are the necessary clean-up crew. At first, I thought it might be a deer but, the tail appears to be too long. Click on the picture to see a larger shot, if you wish. ~Vic

Vulture With Lunch Image
04-09-2020

15 thoughts on “POTD: Cycle of Life

bayphotosbydonna said:
    August 18, 2020 at 8:02 AM

Vultures (yours is a Black Vulture) are most important to our world! They can eat anything dead without getting diseased. Beware of getting too close to one, their defense mechanism is to propel a vomit on you. Most disgusting! I definitely keep my distance with these great birds, lol.

writefunnydramatrue said:
    August 18, 2020 at 9:42 AM

And this is why we don’t get water straight from the creek

August 18, 2020 at 10:52 AM

We need those creatures, they fulfill an important place in the world….but. still. What do you think it was they ‘cleaned up?”

Kat said:
    August 18, 2020 at 2:05 PM

I think it’s an excellent photo. I don’t think it’s hard to look at because the whole composition speaks about nature and the nature of life.

JT Twissel said:
    August 18, 2020 at 8:01 PM

Every creature has their purpose.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    August 21, 2020 at 9:06 AM

Well this is sad…yea necessary but sad…especially if you are the one getting picked. What do you think it is? My sister hit a vulture in the car…it went all over her windshield…worse smell ever.

August 21, 2020 at 8:07 PM

All I know is, the tail is too long for a deer.

I’ll bet. Donna, above…read what she wrote. EEWWW.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        August 21, 2020 at 8:12 PM

LOL…that would just make your day…to have a vulture vomit on you.