TV Tuesday: Trapped 1950

John Carradine Image One
John Carradine
Photo Credit: A Drifting Cowboy Blog

Seventy years ago, today, the television anthology series Trapped debuted on WOR-TV in New York. Also known as Trapped: Tales of the Supernatural, the host was John Carradine and some guest actors were Charles Korvin, Elizabeth Morgan, Helen Baron, Rita Gam, Fran Malis, George L. Smith, Stanley Tackney and Harry Townes. There were 57 episodes that were 30 minutes long.

There are no pictures or video of this program and very little has been written about it. I did manage to find an article on Light’s Out host Frank Gallop that referenced Trapped:

In accordance with Gallop, other hosts who aimed to set a mood of terror at the time included Andy Christopher […] (Mr. Black), James Monks (Tales of the Black Cat […]) and Lee Bowman (Eye Witness […]). Similarly, Jack La Rue (Lights Out), Boris Karloff (The Boris Karloff Mystery Playhouse) and John Carradine (Trapped: Tales of the Supernatural […]) offered external examples of film stars hired for TV hosting roles in which an emphasis was placed on their associations with the horror genre [with] typecasting as villainous and/or monstrous characters as part of their respective series façade. Due to a lack of surviving/missing material associated with some live series pre-1955, in the cases of some hosts, it is not always possible to definitively discern to what extent horror elements were adopted as part of a series persona.

Frank Gallop: The Ghoulish Host of Lights Out
Thomas Wilson
Taylor & Francis Online
Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television
March 20, 2020

Additional Reading:
Trapped (1950-1952) (Classic TV Archive)

28 thoughts on “TV Tuesday: Trapped 1950

Tippy Gnu said:
    September 8, 2020 at 8:51 AM

There has been a lot of lost film and video footage from the past. And in 1950, I don’t think they even had videotape. It’s too bad, because with John Carradine in this show, it was probably very good.

September 8, 2020 at 4:45 PM

Oh, don’t you know it. I am always digging around in our culture and the last percentage I saw of old film existence was around 20%. The rest have been lost or outright destroyed. And, it wasn’t just Hollyweird, either. BBC destroyed a lot of their early stuff. Much of the first three years of Doctor Who are gone…except some audio. The “suits” must have thought TV programs were a flash in the pan and didn’t archive much.

This is one of the earliest I found:

Tippy Gnu said:
        September 8, 2020 at 5:37 PM

I understand that the BBC was about to reuse the original videotapes of Monty Python’s Flying Circus TV series, as a way to save money. The Python comics got wind of this and smuggled the tapes out, and made copies of them. If not for that, the Pythons might never have been discovered in America, or achieved worldwide success.

Liked by 2 people

Silk Cords said:
    September 8, 2020 at 12:06 PM

Well, it’s not Elvira; Mistress of the Night, but… 😀

September 8, 2020 at 4:46 PM

Heh. She was a damn trip.

Liked by 2 people

Silk Cords said:
        September 8, 2020 at 5:12 PM

That she was, lol. MST3K with cleavage.

Coincidentally, I had a friend back in HS that said when the show was still just local in SoCal, they did the show live and Cassandra Peterson had a major wardrobe malfunction one night as the girls decided to take a trip.

September 8, 2020 at 6:31 PM

She had healthy girls. No doubt. Bet that was a sight to the viewers.

Silk Cords said:
            September 8, 2020 at 7:58 PM

Assuming my friend was being honest, lol.

You don’t have girls that size for any length of time without learning how to keep them under control after all.

September 9, 2020 at 1:17 AM

Well…there was the “wardrobe malfunction” for Janet Jackson…

Silk Cords said:
                September 9, 2020 at 10:23 AM

Oh Pahlease… We both know that was no “wardrobe malfunction”. He “accidentally” grabs the bodice of her outfit and ONLY the section covering her one breast neatly tears away AND despite being out there dancing and jumping around the stage, she also has no bra on?

That was completely staged, lol.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    September 8, 2020 at 2:59 PM

I never heard of this…I guess since nothing exists…that would be the reason. Sounds really cool especially for that time. I would love to have seen one. Sounds like it prepared people for the Twilight Zone.

The Carradine’s have been around for a while.

September 8, 2020 at 5:07 PM

I’m glad IMDb has echoes of stuff even if some of it is off. Ditto the Web Archive…

So much of the early stuff was shot live and the recording equipment just wasn’t up to par…or, it never occurred to them to try…or, it wasn’t available. The film studios obviously had filming abilities. You are lucky just to find a snapshot of something.

People have a love of being scared. 😄😝🤪🤡👹💀👻👽👾🤖

Daddy Carradine was something. Married four times and fought like hell with his first two wives. He had four blood sons, one adopted son & three stepsons.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        September 8, 2020 at 5:42 PM

All the scifi stories were fresh then…it was an open canvas…and The Twilight Zone really dominated.
        There is a live one that Rod Serling wrote I believe called The Time Element in 1958…they have it…well I have it! Its really good.
        A man wakes up at Pearl Harbor and tries to warn a young couple.

September 8, 2020 at 7:17 PM

Is it a recorded live video or a live radio broadcast or text?

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            September 8, 2020 at 7:50 PM

Video…and acted very well as most of them were…are the emails emptied and cleaned?

September 9, 2020 at 1:15 AM

I downloaded everything from both accounts. I would never delete anything. It’s not mine to delete.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                September 9, 2020 at 9:12 AM

Oh please do…because that is the only way I know you are done…I just copy…I don’t move them.

September 10, 2020 at 12:47 AM

Okie dokie. I just wasn’t going to mess with your stuff.

On my way…

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                    September 10, 2020 at 9:18 AM

I would appreciate it.

September 10, 2020 at 12:53 AM

All clear!

JT Twissel said:
    September 8, 2020 at 4:54 PM

Sounds a bit campy but fun!

joyroses13 said:
    September 14, 2020 at 1:59 PM

I am not much for scary stuff, can’t sleep at night if I watch too much of that or read it! What happened to John Robert will probably be as scary of stuff as you get from me, LOL!

September 14, 2020 at 4:02 PM

I like suspense and well told stories. Bloody gore? NOPE. Torture and screaming? NOPE. I have a very low threshold for gross.

John Carradine had one of those booming voices. He, alone, could scare anyone.