Throwback Thursday: Devil’s Tower 1906

Devil's Tower Image
Photo Credit: Jonathunder
Wikipedia & Wikimedia
07-12-2020

One-hundred, fourteen years ago, today, Devil’s Tower or, Bear Lodge Butte, was established as the first US National Monument by President Theodore Roosevelt. Composed of igneous rock, and possibly laccolithic, it is located in the Bear Lodge Mountains of the Black Hills, near Hulett and Sundance, in Crook County, Wyoming. It is also known as Matȟó Thípila by the Lakota and Daxpitcheeaasáao by the Crow (try to pronounce those). It got it’s religious moniker in 1875 when an interpreter for Colonel Richard Dodge, leading an expedition, misunderstood a native name and thought it meant Bad God’s Tower.

Additional Reading:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 1977 (AMC’s Filmsite)
The Dakota Peoples (Google Books)
Satellites in the High Country (Google Books)
Devil’s Tower: First 50 Years (National Park Service PDF)
Proposed Name Change (Rapid City Journal June 22, 2015)
Native American Story & Culture (Wikipedia)
Other Native Names (Wikipedia)
Tower Ladder (Wikipedia)

20 thoughts on “Throwback Thursday: Devil’s Tower 1906

Tippy Gnu said:
    September 24, 2020 at 11:55 PM

I think that was a good movie at the time, but it sure seems corny now. I’ve never been to Devil’s Tower, but it looks beautiful. Maybe I’ll put it on my kick-the-bucket list.

September 25, 2020 at 1:28 AM

I feel stupid as, in 2002, my ex-Marine and I were wandering all over Wyoming and the Black Hills. Big, fat DUH…

I thought bucket lists were supposed to be handled before the bucket is kicked.

Tippy Gnu said:
        September 25, 2020 at 8:32 AM

So you didn’t see it, or it wasn’t very impressive when you did see it?

I think you’re right, I should fulfill my list before kicking the bucket. Problem is, I’ll never be completely satisfied. There’s always something new to add to the list.

September 25, 2020 at 2:21 PM

It never occurred to us to go see it. We saw the Grand Tetons, hit Jackson Hole… Devil’s Tower was never on our radar and IDK why.

Good reason to stick around and keep trying/enjoying. 😉😎

Tippy Gnu said:
            September 25, 2020 at 6:52 PM

Well, you saw some beautiful stuff, anyway. We saw the Tetons and Yellowstone last year, but didn’t bother with Devil’s Tower. Just not enough time.

September 25, 2020 at 2:55 PM

I will say that Jackson Hole proper was unimpressive. Way too touristy and stupid expensive…

Tippy Gnu said:
                September 25, 2020 at 2:58 PM

For me, way too touristy means too damned crowded. And it was. The traffic was a nightmare. The Tetons are beautiful, but I will probably avoid Jackson Hole in the future, due to the large crowds.

Kenneth T. said:
    September 25, 2020 at 12:50 AM

“Everything is ready here on the dark side of the moon.”

“There’s nothing wrong with the air.” ~Roy

September 25, 2020 at 1:36 AM

I haven’t seen that movie in YEARS.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
    September 28, 2020 at 10:25 PM

This looks really cool. I would like to see this. The more I read about Theodore Roosevelt the more I like the man. He was his own man it seems.

September 28, 2020 at 10:53 PM

I feel stupid that me and the Marine never went there. We were all over Wyoming and the Black Hills.

Don’t you remember seeing this in “Close Encounters…?”

badfinger20 (Max) said:
        September 28, 2020 at 11:05 PM

No I do not. I’ve never watched the complete movie in one sitting for some odd reason

September 28, 2020 at 11:47 PM

So, playing with your mashed potatoes doesn’t remind you of it, either. LOL! Everyone should see this movie at least once. It takes liberties but, it is supremely quirky.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
            September 28, 2020 at 11:52 PM

I know…Something always seems to come up…I have it of course…I will make time to see it. Bailey is studying Spielberg anyway for college…
            He asked his teacher…can’t we study Kubrick? lol.

September 29, 2020 at 12:32 AM

What kind of class studies Spielberg?

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                September 29, 2020 at 12:35 AM

Part of his films class. He doesn’t like it…he wanted either Kubrick or Scorsese

September 29, 2020 at 12:38 AM

Man. I never had a film class in college.

badfinger20 (Max) said:
                    September 29, 2020 at 12:39 AM

Well since he is studying cinematography it is required.